• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
JoT

Link Removal - 70's watch bracelet

Have a 1970's style watch bracelet which needs shortening but this one isn't obvious how!

large.P1000139.JPG.f9b88fb3428383d67441c534a38896aa.JPG

The underside of the bracelet is marked with "open" with arrows pointing in both directions.

large.P1000140.JPG.874e56e7cac8ae226b0694648f60960f.JPG

The sides of the link show an internal plate and a pin

large.P1000142.JPG.7ab3f2fbbc14e7c610e222a5c2d67792.JPG

It is clear from the layout of the internal plate that it is not designed to be pushed through the link

So that leaves me with the thought that the arrows are pointing to the part of the link which has to be prised open to remove the link.

Anybody else had experience of this style of bracelet?

Yes John, these do require minor surgery to remove the links. I had a 1992 Tudor Prince Oyster date the old style with plexi and the original tudor bracelet (which i might add was rubbish in terms of quality), was folded links that could only be removed by opening them with a small screwdriver taking the unwanted links out and then folding back over. Do it from the inside obviously, but don't open them too far or you will bend the outer side of the link, just enough to slide them out and hold the bracelet in a vice and tap the screw driver in, or you might slip and go through your thumb, like i did. :doctor:Which required a trip to minor injuries in llandudno. 

open the links adjacent to the arrow head rather than along the line of the arrow. 

Thanks Nigel, I feared as much! The links have been put together very tightly going to give it a miss with my rudimentary tool set! It will be going with the next batch I send to Simon!

• Like 1

Welcome John, wise to send it in my links on the Tudor did look concave on the outside, despite my best efforts. 

I have a Seiko bracelet that has a similar set up. I tried but failed to make any headway with it so it's sat in the box ever since.

I really wanted to wear it with my 7a38 but sadly not to be :(

Edited by it'salivejim

8 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

I have a Seiko bracelet that has a similar set up. I tried but failed to make any headway with it so it's sat in the box ever since.

I really wanted to wear it with my 7a38 but sadly not to be :(

been there with a little 5 auto i just put it on leather, a right pain loads of tiny little links, still to this day can't see how it could be adjusted and it was massive. 

they were supposed to be sliders but no chance. Not a cat in hell. 

As you can see, in the side view picture of the links marked" open". To the left of the link there is a circle. The end of a straight pin. It can be knocked out from either side, for link removal.

if you get stuck. Shout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon2 said:

As you can see, in the side view picture of the links marked" open". To the left of the link there is a circle. The end of a straight pin. It can be knocked out from either side, for link removal.

if you get stuck. Shout.

Ah, thanks Simon I will give it a go!