• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

new or used???

CitizenSeiko

I have a budget of £500 for another watch......but should I get a 'nice' used tag heuer.

Or go for a less expensive different make 'new'..Seen loads of both I like, but I dont want to lose to much money if I ever have to sell it

this is a simple new or used question not looking for models to be recommended ........thats for later lol

hi, not sure you can state which may lose most, a used tag will have lost from its initial value , but may still lose more even 2 nd hand , and may be subject to which model you chose how much it continues to lose , same with new depends on what you buy but  most will lose as soon a you take out the shop so take a initial hit and continue to lose value at various rates, bit like cars buy a limited edition Ferrari and it will increase in value , buy a focus it will lose value every day no matter new or used.

so have been no help what so ever  buy what you like :thumbsup:

deano

If you buy new then you have the manufacturer's warranty and it will be some time before it needs a service. For Tag it is worth looking to see where your nearest outlet store is - Bicester Village and Cheshire Oaks are two but there may be others. Christopher Ward are also rated well on the forum and they have regular sales. Although you will be getting a decent discount against rrp (maybe 40% on Tag) you will still get the full manufacturer warranty.

Buying used can mean the big depreciation has been taken but bear in mind they may have been bought at a discount. Age is important as it may be nearing a service which will add to your cost.

Right now with 500 notes to burn I would buy either the Seiko Dawn Grey or Nemo turtle.  Both limited editions, both pretty much sold out and both should hold their value nicely.

Mind you, that's just me.  Sensible bet would be a nice second hand Oris, Longines, Hamilton or Tag.  Any of those four manufacturers have good value watches in your price range, and second hand they tend to drop a ton of value early (12 months old) then level out so you shouldn't be taking a bath when it comes time to flip.

• Like 1

I have a budget of £500 for another watch......but should I get a 'nice' used tag heuer.
Or go for a less expensive different make 'new'..Seen loads of both I like, but I dont want to lose to much money if I ever have to sell it
this is a simple new or used question not looking for models to be recommended ........thats for later lol

I’m trying to fathom some of your logic … you want to spend £500, but not sure what you want, but “don’t want to lose [too] much money” on resale.

Well depending upon the pre-owned model you buy, you could probably flip at near the same, but you have to pick the make and model carefully, either it’s one you like or don’t. As far as new, I don’t think there are any in that price range you can buy new with VAT and then flip as pre-owned for the same price, unless you find some dolt with limited reasoning abilities.

I guess the answer is “buy a used TAG.”