UK Watch Forum banner

Seiko sbdc051 caseback stripped threads

623 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Nigelp 
#1 ·
I took the back off my sbdc051 to regulate it and the threads are stripped. I can't get them to bite at all with the gasket in, and they only just hold without the gasket. The warranty is only valid in japan. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Blimey Andy! :sorry: What happened did you cross thread it? Or are you saying it wasn't right to start with? If it wasn't right to start with, the fact you bought it off a seller in Japan with a warranty should not affected the implied conditions of sale with the manufacturer if it was new. A condition being more important than a warranty in a contract. So use the warranty as proof of purchase and contact seiko if the watch was defective, with your receipt etc and claim under condition of contract and subsequent breach. If you've damaged it or cant prove otherwise (if you tell them you have had the back off or they can tell, it will wipe out your above claim in any case - keep that under your hat and i didnt tell you that) a new case probably, on such a good watch i doubt thread lock or a retap would be satisfactory for you...was this following the advice to regulate it yesterday?

#3 ·
I don't really know what happened. I've taken off enough Seiko case backs in my time to be able to do it without incident, but the threads on this have just gone. I suspect they were poor to start. Its a used buy. I've contacted the seller to see if they had any similar difficulty. I suspect I'm going to be lumbered with an expensive re-tap and no water resistance. :(

#4 ·
if its used but still within the warranty sale period how can seiko prove you didnt buy it new? Ok you lost the receipt. Give them a call see what they say, dont tell them you have had the back off, send it to them and let them decide. It seems reasonable the watch was defective to start with, let them say it wasn't. The onus is on them if it is still in warranty period, regardless of where it was bought. The implied conditions of sale should factually carry you as buyer through a reasonable period for that type of watch. Contact their sales in the Uk. Just tell them the age of the watch, that you bought it and leave it at that.

for all we know you did buy it new in the uk, the onus is not on you.

you may be mistaken at this point in time etc etc etc.

you are under no obligation to tell them you have had the back off if you are claiming for breach of condition, but if they ask you after they have inspected then you must do so.

#6 ·
Then its up to them to prove you did the damage, the watch should reasonably have withstood this Andy.

Wasnt it slightly loose to start with?

Isn't that why you inspected it further?

they are the experts not you Andy.

basically you must answer honestly when asked.

Leave it to them to ask the questions, at the moment you have a seiko with a case back that won't secure. And that is all we really know, the rest is only what you claim.

you are not lying by not volunteering information at this stage, wait till the experts are caused to ask for the information.

I suspect they were poor to start.
and use this if or when they ask whether the back was removed...and Andy don't listen to advice on here anymore about taking backs off good watches.

I suspect I'm going to be lumbered with an expensive re-tap and no water resistance.
a watch like this should not have been so fragile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.