• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Gucci Watches, thoughts?

They seems a cut above the usual fashion brands, in fact they seem very good. Or am i being stupid? For example.

Related image

• Thanks 2

mmmm possibly but what about the quality anyone any experience?

i'm thinking more their dress watches. 

Image result for gucci mens watch

its the finish that looks good, way above the usual fashion watches...way above seiko. Is it?

@BondandBigM should have some idea he is into all the silly labels. 

Joking aside I dont think they are all bad Hugo Boss Gucci etc the problem is they are over priced for what you are getting and you could probably find better with brands like Citizen or Seiko.  That being said they seem to fetch decent money on ebay if you are looking to sell on so you are not going to burn too many fivers buying one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you thats what is throwing me the price of the Gucci seem particularly strong new and use, so its just the name then? 

Ok I'll stick to Omega and Zenith. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Thank you thats what is throwing me the price of the Gucci seem particularly strong new and use, so its just the name then? 

Ok I'll stick to Omega and Zenith. 

Seems that way, a mate of mine in work had a Hugo Boss watch he sold having owned it for a few years I dont think he lost much on it.  Seems to be all in the name and to be fair its a bit like the lower end Tag watches, in spite of the scorn they get on forums they seem to sell well to the general public if priced well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Seems that way, a mate of mine in work had a Hugo Boss watch he sold having owned it for a few years I dont think he lost much on it.  Seems to be all in the name and to be fair its a bit like the lower end Tag watches, in spite of the scorn they get on forums they seem to sell well to the general public if priced well.

makes sense i half thought it to be honest, it was just one of those days where i was running out of ideas. I'll stick with what i know. 

Cheers. 

26 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Joking aside I dont think they are all bad Hugo Boss Gucci etc the problem is they are over priced for what you are getting 

This is spot on. They are exceptionally good £300 watches...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

This is spot on. They are exceptionally good £300 watches...

ok thanks jonny.

that leaves me thinking seiko 5's are really exceptional 300 quid watches...

well before I knew better (and came here) I had 5, sold them all at a profit, something I have not managed to do yet with any other brand I have bought since I have been here ! I found them good quality,buy them right and you wont lose as much as some , fashion sells !

deano

J0AoPXM.jpg

z4tAyTJ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

They seems a cut above the usual fashion brands, in fact they seem very good. Or am i being stupid? For example.

Popular brand image in the Old West, that has moved with the times. Along with Mel Brooks Bicycle saddles.

Dn4Un5rV4AEjRFp?format=jpg&name=medium

brooks-saddle-b135-uni-double-spring-hon

• Like 1

Gucci watches  (sorry, I meant Gucci watches - you have to whisper that name on here) are cracking second hand buys IMO.

I've had a Pantheon automatic chrono for £500 (rrp close to 2 grand!) which was an absolute pleasure to own.   On the quartz front I've had the 111m and the 5500m, both exceptional watches for a couple of hundred notes.

More recently I flipped my "Gucci Dive".  A little bit underwhelmed with that one for what I paid, it felt a bit rattly and cheaply made, I actually pegged it as a fake but it wasn't - that shows the quality I think.   Not to say I wouldn't have another one, but not a quartz.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

makes sense i half thought it to be honest

I bought my ex a Gucci 25 years ago (when I got a new credit card lol) and she still wears it to this day.  Out of affection for me, obvs. (NOT!)

This has an Eta 7750 movement in it, and there's nothing wrong with it (especially now I fitted a cyclops) - bracelet well made; good weight; supeluminova (running seconds on the sub could do with a blob); hands correctly sized; display back; brushed top surface, polished sides bezel and pushers; pushers nice and positive, resets to zero with a snap: £400.00 off ebay plus petrol to pick it up.  I was looking at the 'bee' designs, as I am a Manc.  I will get one too if the price is right.  Name boosts the price like Breitling or whoever, but quality is sound in my experience.  And at least the 'styling' you get is worth paying for.  (p.s. they are normally just under a grand - I bought it by accident with a cheeky bid) p.s. it gains 7 seconds per day, which is not bad - could probably be regulated

53167558_122094045528508_130280114867929

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

They are exceptionally good £300 watches...

I paid £400.00 for the above so only slightly done!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 2

Getting my WRUW pic ready for tomorrow (not everyone takes time off work to do their piccies and cropping lol)

57155518_130498198021426_458316262092360

and prolly going on sale - I'll take the cyclops off for an extra £50.00!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevkojak said:

a Pantheon automatic chrono for £500 (rrp close to 2 grand!)

could not agree more!  TBH I think it is a better watch than my Tag, which though I bought the Tag in '94 for about £800, it would be a £2k watch now.

10 hours ago, kevkojak said:

Gucci watches  (sorry, I meant Gucci watches - you have to whisper that name on here) are cracking second hand buys IMO.

I've had a Pantheon automatic chrono for £500 (rrp close to 2 grand!) which was an absolute pleasure to own.   On the quartz front I've had the 111m and the 5500m, both exceptional watches for a couple of hundred notes.

More recently I flipped my "Gucci Dive".  A little bit underwhelmed with that one for what I paid, it felt a bit rattly and cheaply made, I actually pegged it as a fake but it wasn't - that shows the quality I think.   Not to say I wouldn't have another one, but not a quartz.

Whole heatedly agree choose wisely & buy second hand and you can't go wrong. Stunning build quality. Although I am biased and you can't find better than this for looks in the Pantheon in  my humble opinion :laugh:

large.43198088701_ba90f19ec5_k.jpg.5d6ef896d1236b8ea0452a9c6f7bff4e.jpglarge.42082245304_7f8ac74c1b_k.jpg.92c8974fa710d68b84ace56aa7082a28.jpglarge.42659834812_b8ca6a9c1e_k.jpg.cf597025a4f8e28dcbe415bbe622e3ca.jpglarge.43198088701_ba90f19ec5_k.jpg.d9ae30b6636f803c21c33a0ccdd63cd6.jpglarge.41620145940_bbce749b2c_z.jpg.e069f91505be7c4e647b1887087e0c11.jpg

Edited by futuristfan
  • Like 3

I seem to remember a few years back , one of their Diver models which was exceptionally fine , was replaced in the line up by one that was not and clearly made "somewhere out East" on the cheap .. a truly dreadful watch. The a couple of years later, said disaster watch was replaced with an exceptionally good one. I only know one person in the real world who owns one and he has had his for 15 years and its still looking tip top.

Regards the "Fashion Watch" label , not so sure it really matters in this case because Gucci are a brand recognised generally for pricey but decent quality "designer" stuff. Also Gucci is hugely collectable amongst the chattering classes. It's easy to see why their stuff attracts decent secondary market pricing....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sounds like my first impressions are more or less backed up by peoples ownership experience then, good watches, except a blip with a run of divers as experienced by Kev and sounds like they just tried to cut corners and sell us crap for a bit, going off Jonny's explanation. I still think i'll end up with some old omega for 150 quid or a zenith. They always seems to plod on no issues. 

I've bought my wife a couple of Gucci watches. The G below was bought about 19 years ago. It's been in the water, garden, kitchen sink. Tough little thing and looks nice, though in a drawer these days. My mum had an older Gucci with a gold and enamel case from 70's which is starting to look vintage. Not sure if I'd buy one for myself as I think they are a younger man's watch though I came close on an auto chronograph in a sale about 10 years ago. 

33743228968_fb58bc2fa7_o.jpgIMG_20190416_094622004_HDR by David Wren, on Flickr

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I've bought my wife a couple of Gucci watches. The G below was bought about 19 years ago. It's been in the water, garden, kitchen sink. Tough little thing and looks nice, though in a drawer these days. My mum had an older Gucci with a gold and enamel case from 70's which is starting to look vintage. Not sure if I'd buy one for myself as I think they are a younger man's watch though I came close on an auto chronograph in a sale about 10 years ago. 

33743228968_fb58bc2fa7_o.jpgIMG_20190416_094622004_HDR by David Wren, on Flickr

sounds like they are tougher than bonds Rolex Sub LV his needed a 600 quid rebuild after 10 year. :watch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

sounds like they are tougher than bonds Rolex Sub LV his needed a 600 quid rebuild after 10 year. :watch:

Yes but to be fair his does get used .... I mean a watch used often to fend off aggressive old ladies at his local Bingo Hall would bound to need thorough attention at some point.... :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JonnyOldBoy said:

Yes but to be fair his does get used .... I mean a watch used often to fend off aggressive old ladies at his local Bingo Hall would bound to need thorough attention at some point.... :laugh:

very true Jonny, I think it had chew marks on the bezel from when Mavis ripped his shirt off at the Scottish over 60's bar in benidorm.

Image result for scotland bar benidorm

strange thing is when you look at a lot of the fashion watches these days, they are actually nicer looking than the posh badged ones like omegas and rolex etc, take this for eg. GC or some such. 

Image result for gc watches

now @JayDeep will be all over that later. 

• Haha 2

I fancy this, a Swatch red harbour! 

s-l1600.jpg

now thats cool. 

go perfect with a blue pinstripe 

25 years old is that! Its a classic, feel free to add all your weird and wonderful fashion watches here. Much more interesting than the boring old its a rolexomegazenithseikocitizenvostok thread. 

• Like 2