UK Watch Forum banner

2 in today, happy not happy

998 views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  KAS118 
#1 ·
Well I got two of my expecting in today. The first was my modded Seiko and I'm extremely satisfied with it. Mad Mod World did a fantastic job! For $329 I'm very pleased! Refurbished SKX case and bezel but both look almost new. New NH36 movement, Sapphire crystal, bezel insert of choice and hands of choice. It comes on a choice of jubilee or oyster bracelet but both are garbage folded links, so I threw it in the garbage immediately! Will order a strap code jubilee soon for it. Anyway, here's the first...
large.20190419_213438-1.jpg.4b57ba47fee319b4259c39076d80b4c5.jpg
large.20190419_213419-1.jpg.e895f4e0cbc96d9f9e543bc4288c6ff4.jpg
large.20190419_213457-1.jpg.81d475254cb6ead8b0753f60a57334db.jpg

The second was one of the used Russian pieces I had ordered and it just reminded me why I never, ever buy used! This thing is not at all as advertised. Etsy seller from Bulgaria, claimed it was "in great working condition, all functions as supposed to, just fully serviced..."

Yeah, sure buddy, likely story. The day wheel doesn't align at all, not even half way into the window, the day and date change at 8:45pm which is just odd, but I could totally let that go if the entire watch didn't smell like it had been soaked in a vat of centuries old cigarette butts and chew spew. Even the package was disgusting. I can't scrub it off my hands. I'm so disgusted, threw the entire package, watch and all, in the bin outside. No way I'm going to get that junk anywhere near my other watches and get that smell on them. It was this hunk of junk...
large.il_fullxfull.1882486383_e4yb-1.jpg.99e3881f9652f1cdac4178d03a3f6e45.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
never, ever buy used!
I think Bulgaria is one of the places to avoid, I skip round Turkey and Hungary too, and South America. And India. I have had good watches from Eastern Europe and Greece, I always go for someone with a good reputation on the bay, ask a few questions first, but there is a skill in picking up the nuances in advertisements, which maintain accuracy without giving too much away. Buyer beware ... My worst experience has been on a new watch. Although I did overpay someone for a NOS Timex (damn that VAT!) but a) that was my fault and b) they were American :laughing2dw:

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well at least one was nice.

Shame about the other - although it's always sad to hear a watch has been thrown away - couldn't you have taken it somewhere for a refurb and clean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not worth it to me. It was also in terrible condition. Just horrific. Also only took about 20 half turns and way losing a minute every half an hour. The entire thing wasn't worth me even thinking about. Trash is what it was so trash is where it belongs.

Edit: nah, I'll give it another chance. Separated the vile strap from the watch and left it the garbage. Will see if there's any recovering this piece of junk.

I think Bulgaria is one of the places to avoid, I skip round Turkey and Hungary too, and South America. And India. I have had good watches from Eastern Europe and Greece, I always go for someone with a good reputation on the bay, ask a few questions first, but there is a skill in picking up the nuances in advertisements, which maintain accuracy without giving too much away. Buyer beware ... My worst experience has been on a new watch. Although I did overpay someone for a NOS Timex (damn that VAT!) but a) that was my fault and b) they were American :laughing2dw:
Yeah I got this from Etsy. A few good reviews is all I saw. Figured for $90 was worth the gamble. But @KAS118 is right, I took it out of the trash, separated the strap from the watch head and left the strap in the garbage bin. Brought the watch inside and am hoping that once separated the metal will loose the smell. I'm leaving it outside for a few days on the deck. May have a go at servicing, with this thing as my test dummy.

#9 ·
The Seiko looks amazing! Sorry to hear about the other one, but even if it ends up in the bin the Seiko well and truly makes up for it! :yes:

Reactions: JayDeep
#11 ·
Yeah, I really regret buying the Raketa. My bedroom still wreaks of old stale cigarettes. I got up early do throw my bedding into the wash, hoping that will help, as I laid the package down upon my bed when I got home and it stayed there for maybe 15 minutes as I opened the first package. I really hope that does something to help. I opened the window for 3 hours last before bed, did nothing.

Honestly, it has to be just the packaging and strap. I don't think steel can transfer or carry any smells. I'm pretty sure it's not conducive in this way. I don't really recall the properties of metals very well, but I'm pretty sure I remember that from basic primary School science.

Anyway, wish me luck. If this don't work there's no way I'll convince my girlfriend that I didn't order a bunch of nasty street girls and have a poke last night...

Me: "Yeah babe, it was just a used watch I ordered."

Her: "Where's this watch then?"

Me: "Well I threw the smelly parts away because the smell was so bad."

Her: "Where is it, I want to see for myself."

Me: (digging through the giant shared apartment complex dumpster outside all night, in the rain, trying to save my future)... "It's here somewhere, I'm sure."

P/x?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, update time!

The Raketa, after sitting outside for a day and a half or so, seems fine for smell. The strap of course is long gone. Still having nightmares about that smell and it's still faintly there in my bedroom. Ugh!

Anyway, I opened it up and noticed the time keeping needle was all the way to the negative side. So I played with it a bit, it's about 3/4 the way toward positive now and seems to be running maybe a minute fast per day, which is the best I could do with little patience for it, and fine by me.

The day wheel is still very poorly aligned, as you can see from the pictures. I've got it on a much better looking and smelling strap now and am quite pleased with the overall physical appeal of it. I just need to adjust the date, as I forgot to do that while screwing around with the day and time.

Anyway, I'm now to "mildly accepting" of the Raketa. Figure I paid $100 for it so I'd better get some use out of it. So I'm wearing it for Easter Sunday brunch with the girlfriend.

Well happy Easter to you all!
large.20190421_112754-1.jpg.86486441c4419f7506ea563edf635b36.jpg
large.20190421_112757-1.jpg.1ada8793ef6e90f08a60304c19445d35.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.