• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Deafwatch

Watch winder

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a watch winder and no idea where to start! 

Any recommendation? My Christoper award watch arrived this morning so I am just wondering if one winder would be enough for now or best to buy a bigger winder so I can add more later on :)

Thanks

Jeff 

• Like 1

I've got a £30 cheapo double winder off t'bay - it's quiet, hasnt broken yet and actually looks quite nice. On the downside it's f*king huge!

When it eventually dies, I may splurge for a better one but honestly it's doing the job. (The job in question is NEVER EVER HAVING TO MANUALLY SET THE DATE ON A STUPID FLIPPING AMPHIBIA AGAIN. I'm not annoyed about it mind :()

Can't remember which seller, but it looks a lot like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2-2-Grids-Luxury-Wood-Watch-Winder-Display-Box-Automatic-Rotation-Storage-Case/7026969474?iid=263418943378&chn=ps

I'm not endorsing the product, it's obviously cheap as hell and *will* break, but I bought it as training wheels to see if I wanted to buy a good one!

Don't run it on batteries though, they last about a week tops, and will cost you roughly five trillion pounds a year to replace them.

Edited by ry ry
Holy giant URLs batman! Fixed now.

3 hours ago, ry ry said:

I've got a £30 cheapo double winder off t'bay - it's quiet, hasnt broken yet and actually looks quite nice.

I've got the £40 four-bay version, which also has 6 non-winder pockets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Winder-Display-Box-Automatic-Rotation-Storage-4-6-Grids-Wooden-Cases/292431241279

It is big, but quiet and it does the job. Only problem I've had is the cushions are quite loose and bigger/heavier watches tend to flop about as it turns. I fixed that by gluing bits of leather to the sides of the cushions so they're a tighter fit.

1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

I've got the £40 four-bay version, which also has 6 non-winder pockets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Winder-Display-Box-Automatic-Rotation-Storage-4-6-Grids-Wooden-Cases/292431241279

It is big, but quiet and it does the job. Only problem I've had is the cushions are quite loose and bigger/heavier watches tend to flop about as it turns. I fixed that by gluing bits of leather to the sides of the cushions so they're a tighter fit.

msivtk.jpg

Haha my solution was... Less elegant :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Word of warning though - some watches with particularly heavy rotors may not get properly wound at 45deg. 

The chinglish instruction leaflet explicitly mentions 'stack some books under the back' to increase the angle in that case! :laugh:

Not experienced it myself but I've only tried it on half a dozen watches.

@ry ry How's yours doing? After 3 months, both of the winders have stopped turning in mine. They will start with a nudge, but slowly and with grinding noises that weren't there before. Ebay seller is unresponsive so far.

It's still working, but I'm not using it much atm - I bought a digital timer plug socket to keep the watches wound without overwinding and to preserve the cheapo motor, but the bloody shape of the timer doesn't let me plug in the power adaptor :/

its massive and weighs a tonne so exorbitant postage means I can't even give the damn thing away!

Hi Deafwatch.

Were you able to find a good watch winder. I am reading some guides around the Internet and I hear about a brand called Wolf a lot. Does someone own a Wolf winder? They seem a bit pricey though :/