• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Boggoff

A question I am sure has been asked a thousand times.

Hello all.

50 years of age is looming and the wife is making all the right noises around me getting a special watch for it.

Currently I am torn between the following:

Omega speedmaster moonwatch  ( its 50 years since it happened and its a classic)

Breitling Watch Avenger II GMT Professional III Bracelet (Always loved Breitlings)

Omega seamaster 300 (this years 42 mm model in grey and blue) 

these are all in the £3500 area which is the absolute top end of my budget but I have also seen and really like the look of

Brellum pandial chrono in meteorite grey.

Now the latter is almost half the cost of the other 3  but appears to give everything but the name that they do and the thinking part of me says that make a lot of sense while the manchild part of me wants one of the classics I grew up looking at.

Any thoughts and feedback on individual models?

I do like that Brellum, especially the blue dial version. It's not a brand I know of, but looks good.

But I agree with Bonzodog, it's a special event and you don't need Captain sensible whispering negative thoughts in your ear! Go with what your heart yearns for, but make it one of the Omega's! :biggrin:

Have you seen that particular seamaster in the flesh?

• Like 2

I am heavily leaning towards the moonwatch, it ticks all my boxes and is the one that tugs at my heart strings.

add to that I could always treat myself to the Brellum separately without SWMBO ever knowing :) at a slightly later date. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Brellum looks nice, but I've just had a look at their website and the "history" is such a load of waffle that it's put me off them. 

Also, what is the logo a rip-off of? I want to say Bremont but I think it's something else that it reminds me of.

As above, buy what you like. However options 1,2 and 3 are  world class watches from well known brands. The fourth one... well, I would have to be really in love with it because I suspect the only value it'll hold is the sentimental value of being for your 50th.

speedy moon for me, never heard of the last one, everyone will just think its a 50 quid argos job. 

likely as not get one 6 months old half price on the bay. When people get fed up of them and realise they could have had an omega AT for less. 

its like buying one of these instead of an xj, because its half price and looks as good. 

8a3f00f6f0d642d18a80c77ca875dc25.jpg

actually i quiet like that hyundai...

On behalf of the membership here, I'm flattered that you are asking our advice. However, the trouble (but also the joy) of this silly hobby is that everyone's taste is different.

It's your wrist upon which it will be seen, and your wife's money  --  so it must be something which pleases you both. The advice you have been given above is good.

Try on your candidates (don't ever buy an expensive watch without having seen and felt it on your own wrist), and if you get a "love at first sight" moment, go for it.    If not, go home, have a cup of tea, and sleep on it for a week or two. There are lots of lovely watches out there in your price range  --  so, "rinse and repeat".

Oh, and when you get to the point of buying, don't forget to ask for a worthwhile discount.

HTH

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

speedy moon for me, never heard of the last one, everyone will just think its a 50 quid argos job. 

likely as not get one 6 months old half price on the bay. When people get fed up of them and realise they could have had an omega AT for less. 

its like buying one of these instead of an xj, because its half price and looks as good. 

8a3f00f6f0d642d18a80c77ca875dc25.jpg

Seriously, cars again?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, GASHEAD said:

Seriously, cars again?!

sorry, just an analogy. They work for me at least. 

Just now, kevkojak said:

Nigel, do you still own any watches?  Every post I've seen today has had a car on it. 

I'll link Pistonheads for you. Might shut you up for a weekend.   :thumbs_up:

https://www.pistonheads.com/

if you look back 5 year they are all the same kev, soz mate. 

you see i would see the omega speedy as this as opposed to the whats its hyundai 

Image result for bmw m5

i'll do the same for them on piston heads eh kev? :laugh: see if they have ever heard of a brellum. 

• Haha 1

op this Brellum pandial chrono in meteorite grey. either as a 50 th or a a perzzy to ones self for reaching 50 a lot don't so buy what you want :laugh::thumbsup:

deano

thanks kev i'll have a look at pistonheads too keep me occupied while my toes better. 

I'll do both forums. Be funny if i get them mixed up. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I'd go for the Breitling.  You say you've always loved them and the Avenger is a breath of fresh air compared to the frankly boring old Speedmaster/Seamaster, both of which are so common these days that they're just plain ordinary so I'd suggest they're not appropriate for your very special occasion.  If you go for either of the Omegas you might as well get a pipe, slippers and some over 50's life insurance at the same time.  The Brellum looks nice but would be a bit of a gamble I think and, as you suggest, lacks the "classic" status of the others.

Moonwatch ties in nicely -50 years since Apollo 11 & 50th birthday for you makes it a very personal link surely.

..but as above, make sure you like it on first!

Edited by Perlative Cernometer

I'd definitely go for a Speedy. Timeless classics. And the 50 year connection is too good to be true!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I am biased towards Omega but Breitling is in with a shout.

Go to an AD and try both, take your time and think carefully, at the end of the day go with what you like and don't be influenced by others.

If it makes you smile you have made the correct decision.

Just double check prices.

Omega will lose 1k value as soon as you put it on your wrist.. how about buying used?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I love the Brellum - and the fact that their COSC makes it excellent value. They are superb watches that are beautifully finished.

However, you want to buy something with 'history' and to be honest I would ask for the Omega Speedmaster - it is the architypal Chrono - and at the end of the day is still the only watch that has been on the moon.

After all - you can always get the Brellum next year :)

5 hours ago, kevkojak said:

I'll link Pistonheads for you.

Great place to discuss watches.

7 hours ago, Nigelp said:

me too

If you don't get a speedy, it will always be missing from your collection.  Even I might get one some day, and I'm not swayed by names or brands or prices, but I have found myself looking at watches that look like the speedy, so why not get the real thing?  I don't think you'll regret it.  Seamasters are crap.  Get the other unknown one when you are 60, because, in pounds per year, you need to get an extra 10 yrs on that speedy, and do it.  Do it NOW!

17 hours ago, Boggoff said:

I am heavily leaning towards the moonwatch, it ticks all my boxes and is the one that tugs at my heart strings.

add to that I could always treat myself to the Brellum separately without SWMBO ever knowing :) at a slightly later date. 

That sounds like a plan!