• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Dress watch advice

Hello gentlemen

First off, my apologies for being AWOL. I've been super busy with work tbh, but also I'm frustrated with the lack of notifications I'm getting from this otherwise superb forum. I am time poor anyway, so rely on notifications in order to keep up with any thread conversations. Without notifications I just don't have the spare consciousness to check back regularly!

Anyway, I'm about to pull the trigger (once I figure out which one to buy) on my first ever 'dress watch', and.. AND!!! ...for a guy previously sworn off mechanicals due to frustration (is there a theme here? impatient with notifications, impatient with mechanicals), I'm going for a mechanical. Didn't seem right to buy a dress watch in a quartz flavour, despite there being quite a few on offer.

I'm feeling the pull of Raymond Weil. Any thoughts on that?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot easier uploading photos via phone Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know everyone will fall out with me but whats wrong with an 80's Omega or Zenith for 200 notes? Or even Longines for 150? Mido?

My Frederique Constant Runabout.. By far the most comfortable watch I own and would highly recommend  

Never owned one but heard many good things about their watches from many owners here and other forums. Are you just wanting to know if the brand is solid, or asking for advice on a specific watch to buy? I assumed the former in my initial response.

Hi Jay. Yes you're correct. Just wondering more about the brand. My understanding is that they are one of the decreasing number of truly independent (ie not swallowed up by Richemont or Swatch) brands. I believe that their movements are modified Sellita?

Anyway, what's most important is that which you've already addressed.. are they any good based upon real world experience?

So anyway, in the last few minutes I've purchased a Raymond Weil dress watch :yes:

Raymond Weil Maestro 2847-ST-30001

I'm still trying to upload a photo :baby:

• Like 1

I like the brand.  Too often overlooked and underrated in my opinion.  I don't have a mechanical one but I have a gold quartz from the mid-90's that's still going strong and is a very nicely made watch.  As they don't have the brand history of some more familiar names I think they're often dismissed along with some of the lesser fashion brands, but it should be remembered that they started in the 70's when many of those more familiar names went bust, only to be reincarnated at a later date under new management.  RW has a good 40 years of genuine history behind it. 

43 minutes ago, Eski said:

Hi Jay. Yes you're correct. Just wondering more about the brand. My understanding is that they are one of the decreasing number of truly independent (ie not swallowed up by Richemont or Swatch) brands. I believe that their movements are modified Sellita?

Anyway, what's most important is that which you've already addressed.. are they any good based upon real world experience?

So anyway, in the last few minutes I've purchased a Raymond Weil dress watch :yes:

Raymond Weil Maestro 2847-ST-30001

I'm still trying to upload a photo :baby:

Congratulations on your purchase :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, KAS118 said:

Congratulations on your purchase :thumbsup:

Cheers bro :thumbs_up:

22 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

They are not a particularly solid brand, if you go preowned you should be able to get amazing discounts.  Having said that I don't think they are too bad if you are looking for a thin dress watch.

I've purchased in the US, through a buddy. Cost me £400 new. Around £1,000 here, or with one EU company Euro749.

Cracking watch, that looks the part as a dress watch. 
Are you sure it's a Maistro? That looks just like my Freelancer bracelet.  They probably just share them across models.

As mentioned, the only negative with RW is the depreciation, a couple of hundred quid buys you a hell of a lot of watch in the pre-owned market.
They've gone a bit mad recently with some weird limited editions (Beatles, Bowie, AC/DC??) but still a solid brand.

The only negative as far as I can tell is their lack of history. Only established in the mid 1970's so they don't seem to have the weight behind the name that some of the Old Boys like Omega have. They are approaching half a century now though so really, I'm pretty sure they are here to stay.  :laugh:

• Like 1
large.WP_20161203_21_55_59_Pro.jpg.4ecb024db5de5cf91e2fc83fe3abadb5.jpglarge.IMG_0034.JPG.84cd25c8f32bb809ecbd316811ee4497.JPGthis ones quartz but a good brand with mechanical options. Ramon’s Weil in my view make some great watches although are slated by some watch snobs
I did consider a ML too. Very nice one you have there!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cracking watch, that looks the part as a dress watch. 
Are you sure it's a Maistro? That looks just like my Freelancer bracelet.  They probably just share them across models.
As mentioned, the only negative with RW is the depreciation, a couple of hundred quid buys you a hell of a lot of watch in the pre-owned market.
They've gone a bit mad recently with some weird limited editions (Beatles, Bowie, AC/DC??) but still a solid brand.
The only negative as far as I can tell is their lack of history. Only established in the mid 1970's so they don't seem to have the weight behind the name that some of the Old Boys like Omega have. They are approaching half a century now though so really, I'm pretty sure they are here to stay.  [emoji23]
Yeah, I've looked at LOADS in the last week. As you do. They do share bracelets across models for sure.

• Like 1

Only established in the mid 1970's so they don't seem to have the weight behind the name that some of the Old Boys like Omega have. They are approaching half a century now though so really, I'm pretty sure they are here to stay.  [emoji23]

One of the things that attracted me about RW is their independence from the two controlling Swiss watch groups. It's entirely subjective of course, but for me I like the idea that RW is still owned and run by the family of Raymond Weil.

• Like 1
Quartz can be dressy (OK, so the old one on the right is a bit battered lol)
54415997_125590838512162_5781291095862280192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.fna&oh=0f440dad2176d3824542fa4c2b11d871&oe=5D46F59B
Apparently the Raymond Weil brand was arguably born because of quartz. Mr Weil put quartz into a classical swiss watch style in the 70s, at a time when the Swiss watch industry was under siege from Japan.

So imho no problem with dressy quartz!

• Like 1
I love this piece ..just wish I had the wrists to wear it...Its Massive
That's a lovely watch. The dial detail is identical to a couple of RWs I've been considering, only yours has Arabic numerals rather than Roman or batons on tje RW ones.

Does that suggest that the two brands share some connection I wonder. 483a82080f3a831552516c04c88f22a2.jpg

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Highland Laddie said:

It actually doesn't look big on.. Probably looks that way as it's a close up pic on my wrist :thumbs_up:

I tried one a few months back loved it.. but I think it was 46mm and just too big for my Girly wrists..Came with a little vintage style speedboat as well

• Like 1
I know everyone will fall out with me but whats wrong with an 80's Omega or Zenith for 200 notes? Or even Longines for 150?
Mido?
:sorry:
I love a classic/vintage dress watch... Just seen an old rado golden horse. I know it's not in the same league as those you stated but a good looking watch nonetheless.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk