• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger the Dodger

Casio Illuminator battery change.

A week or so ago, I posted a pic of an old Casio that I haven't worn for years, and mentioned that I had to change the battery(s) in it. This is an older Casio Illuminator which has an EL (electro-luminescent) backlight that lights up the whole dial. This is a seperate part of the movement and uses a different cell to the one for the module. After I mentioned this, I was asked what was involved, so did this series of pics and steps for anyone else who has a watch that's similar.

This is the watch.
Casio battery change.

Casio battery change.

First, remove the caseback and gasket...

Casio battery change.

This plastic spacer needs removing, and is released by gentle pressure on this tab with a screwdriver.

Casio battery change.

This reveals the EL unit sitting on top of the module.

Casio battery change.

The EL unit is removed in the same way as the spacer, by gently easing this tab with a screwdriver.

Casio battery change.

Once removed, the module and its cell are revealled.

Casio battery change.

The cells are a 371 (SR920SW) for the module and a CR1616 3v Lithium for the EL unit.

Casio battery change.

The module cell is released by unhooking the retaining cage here...

Casio battery change.

Don't forget to short the +ve (top) of the new cell to the AC (All cancel / all clear) terminal or the watch may not work properly. Do this with the forceps. BTW, the small tab labelled 'push' is depressed to remove the stem if required. I did take the whole module out while I had it apart, and put the case in the ultrasonic machine to clean it.

Casio battery change.

Now for the EL unit. Here it is with the old cell in it, and the new one by the side...

Casio battery change.

The cage is released exactly the same as the module one...it just unhooks from here...

Casio battery change.

Successfully swapped over.

Casio battery change.

Reassembly is the reverse process, however, just make sure that you get this spring...

Casio battery change.

....through the hole in the body of the EL unit. Don't trap it underneath.

Casio battery change.

Finally, replace the spacer, making sure it's clipped in properly, clean and grease the gasket and refit the caseback. Reset the analogue hands and digital display according to the instructions and test out the EL unit.

Casio Illuminator

Hope this will be of use to someone, and thanks for looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you must still have a steady hand and good eyes rog, id end up knackering it, im better on cars with a hammer and socket set. 

Image result for broken down car

• Haha 1

I hate battery changes on digital watches, so I get someone else to do it!  Mind you, I haven't changed an analog watch battery either!  :laugh:

• Haha 1