• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Just starting out on the journey of horology. I have been interested for a long time in the mechanics of clocks and watches. I am in the process of assembling the basic tools for servicing. The more I get there seems to be more I need/ want. Maybe this is more of a want than need! I have bought a couple of watches and a couple of pocket watches of eBay that require parts. That's where I get unstuck. I have no idea where I can get parts from. ETA parts don't seem to be a problem but I don't have any ETA mechanism's. Any tips would be well received.

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum!! :rltrlt:

Wristwatch parts can either be obtained from donor watches or sometimes the parts can be purchased brand new. Some parts are classed as "generic" so a watch glass or mainspring can be purchased without relating to the actual make of the watch, just the dimensions you need

Pocket watches are of a different attitude and you will find yourself changing your mindset when working on them, parts are usually more hand made and fabricated rather than buying over the counter, this becomes more relevant with older English pocket watches.

Some pocket watches with well name marques like Ingersoll, Waltham, Hamilton and other American makers, these parts sometimes can be obtained from old stock that other watchmakers have.

You will find that you collect more old parts than old screwdrivers! It is a great hobby to enjoy whether you do it for fun or professionally and charge for your services

I hope i have been of help :) 

If off E-Bay a lot of watches will end up in the spares tin, as i have found out myself. And the bits that fly off never to be found again ! Or is thatjust me 

if you can look for the Movement Calibre if it has one. Usually on the Movement somewhere, including under the Dial, and by Balance Wheel. Not all have them which is a pain. But if stuck pictures of the Movement back and front (without dial), posted in the forum, might get some response.

• Like 1

Am very limited on what I have as far as cases and dials. Citizen isn't a brand I carry a great deal for. I will go check .

On 23/04/2019 at 03:57, simon2 said:

Have shed loads of parts. Just ask.

Hi @simon2 ,   I need an escapement wheel  for   11 BLACD , it,s a bulova snorkel, , the escape arbor to it is broke.

Found several NOS for sale in europe, priced around €10+ , the problem is shipment to my locality by the seller. I can arrange payment for it to you though.  

Regards joe

Hi Joe

I have a Bulova 11BLACD escape wheel £25 + p&p

Hope this helps

regards Simon