• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RoddyJB

SEIKO BULLHEAD ADVICE NEEDED

I've been offered a Seiko Bullhead for £145 but I don't know anything about them

What should I look out for? I haven't seen it in person yet, this is the pic he sent...

bull.jpg.  .

Edited by RoddyJB
  • Like 1

buy it quickly or pass the lead to me :biggrin:

looks like it could be the original fishbone bracelet (although these are reproduced, so bear that in mind)  Crystals are expensive (£45), and it might need servicing, but that is a bargain price.  Is the dial marked near 1?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scottswatches said:

buy it quickly or pass the lead to me :biggrin:

looks like it could be the original fishbone bracelet (although these are reproduced, so bear that in mind)  Crystals are expensive (£45), and it might need servicing, but that is a bargain price.  Is the dial marked near 1?

me to lol :biggrin:

That picture is terrible, usual rules apply - he's either not super clued up or scamming you off!

Consider me 3rd in the list of potential buyers though - for 145 it's worth a punt ;)

mine cost $ 35 u.s. last year.  it runs,   with the oringinal braclett.  yours (buy it )  is the first one i have seen posted here.  vin 

If runing, dial plate comes first and ask if dial feet are in tact.

Secondly how the functions like day, date and chrono and relevent push button works.if set function works and ofcourse you want to see a pic of the movement, how shiny and scratch free the parts look and if the rotor drags on the movement, if the bracelette and other parts are original and genuins seiko.if so, post pix to receive furthure advice.

If seller accepts returns?

Browse ebay for guestimate price while at it take a look af spare parts prices.

Regards joe

18 hours ago, vinn said:

mine cost $ 35 u.s. last year.  it runs,   with the oringinal braclett.  yours (buy it )  is the first one i have seen posted here.  vin 

$35?

1 hour ago, RoddyJB said:

$35?

that  watch and the omega speed master were used by the drivers in "drag racing".  hense the bull head was a little easer to read on the wrist.  do they drag race in Scotland?  vin

Not that I've seen Vin, little of Scotland is straight & flat enough for 1/4 mile Drag Racing. :rolleyes:

You said you got yours for $35 U.S.? 

Edited by RoddyJB

20 minutes ago, vinn said:

do they drag race in Scotland?  vin

Any true Scot dresses in drag at every opportunity. They love those tartan skirts up there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye Laddie, that will be richt!  Right up yer Kilt! Dinnae mak me come doon there now Ry Ry!   :yes:

Edited by RoddyJB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@RoddyJB  Dial paint shows imperfection, that tops the check list. 

Perhaps a find for someone who has mastered dial restoration, or if you happened to have an extra dial plate, a perfect one.

Not to mention the movement and the costs of a good service, even if you service it your self.

My vote is negative.

Best wishes.

6 hours ago, RoddyJB said:

Not that I've seen Vin, little of Scotland is straight & flat enough for 1/4 mile Drag Racing. :rolleyes:

You said you got yours for $35 U.S.? 

yes,  these things happen if you go to many sales.  is that "speed timer" rare?   i don't  understand how the high prices happen,  e bay and amazon i suspect.  bidding on line.   i don't like auctions either.     vin

Here is how the whole scenario played out....

When I got there, the first thing I noticed was that there was a thick coating of some sort applied to the crystal surface which while shiny, was in no way smooth or flat and it had over-flowed on to the bezel as well. This made the dial look bad.  The case looked great & the bracelet was original & in great shape but with maybe some dodgy split pins in a few links.

I looked at the dial through a loupe & it looked not too bad & all functions seemed to work.  Opening the case  revealed a nice clean movement.

Then I discovered that apparently, the person who emailed me about the watch can't read their friend's writing & the asking price was £745 not £145

Anyway, I managed to negotiate a far better price, decided to take a punt and & took it home.

I haven't managed to get all the coating off the crystal yet but got most off the bezel and from between the bezel & crystal. The bezel, now with the foreign coating gone, has a few minor blemishes but looks not bad.... now that I can see the dial a little better, it looks great. 

So, I need some split pins for the removable links & will likely need a crystal...

Of course, if I am to do any more cleaning etc, I likely would have it removed from my wrist which is proving to be difficult at the moment...:yes:

DSC09323.jpg

• Like 2

GOOD SHOW !   mine has scratches on the crystol,   i think they will rub out.  vin

34 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Is it crystal or glass? I got some NOS seiko glass, but don,t know which one fits what.

Hi Nucejoe,

I think it is Hardlex, I'll get you the Seiko part number..

Let me know if you have any. I would be interested in a couple spares.

I'd also be interested in a couple other Seiko crystals that you might have..

Cheers, Rod

I know I got some for bellmatic which originally come in acrylic, only with chrome tension ring, they came in gold tone as well. Only one size as far as I know.

Got Orient world time, dive as well, they came in two or more sizes, only got one size.

Sternokruetz square, oval and various shapes as well., which can only go by refernce No.

Regards.

Hi Nucejoe 

The Seiko part number is 340W14GN.  

Let me know if you have these? 

He thinks he might have a couple more Bullheads, one with a black dial which would need crystals as well.

Rod

Edited by RoddyJB

Hi Nucejoe 

Have you had a chance to check your Seiko crystals?

I also need a couple 330W18GN crystals and a 83338969 / 86019752 Seiko bezel.

Cheers, Rod

19 hours ago, RoddyJB said:

Hi Nucejoe 

Have you had a chance to check your Seiko crystals?

I also need a couple 330W18GN crystals and a 83338969 / 86019752 Seiko bezel.

Cheers, Rod

Just for bellmatic NOS chrome tension ring, no golden tension ring.

On 24/04/2019 at 21:41, RoddyJB said:

Here is how the whole scenario played out....

When I got there, the first thing I noticed was that there was a thick coating of some sort applied to the crystal surface which while shiny, was in no way smooth or flat and it had over-flowed on to the bezel as well. This made the dial look bad.  The case looked great & the bracelet was original & in great shape but with maybe some dodgy split pins in a few links.

I looked at the dial through a loupe & it looked not too bad & all functions seemed to work.  Opening the case  revealed a nice clean movement.

Then I discovered that apparently, the person who emailed me about the watch can't read their friend's writing & the asking price was £745 not £145

Anyway, I managed to negotiate a far better price, decided to take a punt and & took it home.

I haven't managed to get all the coating off the crystal yet but got most off the bezel and from between the bezel & crystal. The bezel, now with the foreign coating gone, has a few minor blemishes but looks not bad.... now that I can see the dial a little better, it looks great. 

So, I need some split pins for the removable links & will likely need a crystal...

Of course, if I am to do any more cleaning etc, I likely would have it removed from my wrist which is proving to be difficult at the moment...:yes:

DSC09323.jpg

Dial looks better now.

Thanks for checking Joe, I was hoping you might have had the correct crystal.

Yes, I think the dial is fine.  However, when I finally got that coating of ??? off the crystal and brought it back to the original surface it now looks dull.

I'll have to find a new crystal.

• Like 1