• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

'Buyer' robs owner of B5.2m watch in Bangkok hotel lobby

Caller.

So you travel best part of a 1000km's to sell a Richard Mille watch to a potential buyer you have only 'met' on-line, he can't make the planned sensibly timed meeting and instead asks to meet you at 1.30am in the hotel lobby. Should you be surprised when he pulled a pistol on you?

Another crazy day in paradise. One for Irfan @Igerswis to take note of!. I'm glad he knows and trusts me, he sauntered into our meet outside of Harrods in a mall in Bangkok on Sunday for a late lunch, carrying an anonymous shoulder bag, which contained much of his collection to show me, as we sat in a quiet corner - a true treat :notworthy:! In return, I was able to offer Roy's Nautilus! :biggrin:

Worth reading the comments after this article. Much mention about the deputy PM who was ruled as not owning millions of baht of watches, none of which he had declared. Instead finding he really had borrowed them all from a now unnamed dead friend - only in Thailand.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1667624/buyer-robs-owner-of-b5-2m-watch-in-hotel-lobby?utm_source=bangkopost.com&utm_medium=article_opinion&utm_campaign=most_recent_box

• Like 2

Oh damn so I shouldn’t meet a dolled up ladyboy in Sukumvit at 2am to buy a limited edition G-Shock? And to think I’d have had the cash on me ready to make the purchase!

Phil your an honest and reliable gentleman; of course I trust you. Besides not many other people would appreciate those watches.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Igerswis said:

Oh damn so I shouldn’t meet a dolled up ladyboy in Sukumvit at 2am to buy a limited edition G-Shock? And to think I’d have had the cash on me ready to make the purchase!

Blast!  So you saw through my disguise!  No matter, I will adopt another cunning plan.

• Haha 2

Hi Caller,  I hope you do not mind me asking but how do you like living in Hua Hinn? Just asking because we are thinking of having a second residence in Hua Hinn. My wife and I spend most our time in the States but we do spend 3-4 months split between our rental villa in Koh Chang and our primary residence in Khon Kaen. We were thinking of selling the villa and getting a place in Hua Hinn, I will always have a place near the beach I love Phuket and Krabi but it is too far from our residence in Khon Kaen and  I do not like Pattaya all that much. I been to Cha Am and Hua Hinn one time for about a week and thought it would be a great place to live because of the infrastructure and having the best hospitals in Thailand. I love Koh Chang but it is very inconvenient sometimes having to go across the ferry whenever we need to go to Homepro at least we got a Macro and BigC. Also hanging out at the beach or pool gets kind of tiring and when you seen and done everything on the island that is all that is left to do.

42 minutes ago, RAH said:

Hi Caller,  I hope you do not mind me asking but how do you like living in Hua Hinn? Just asking because we are thinking of having a second residence in Hua Hinn. My wife and I spend most our time in the States but we do spend 3-4 months split between our rental villa in Koh Chang and our primary residence in Khon Kaen. We were thinking of selling the villa and getting a place in Hua Hinn, I will always have a place near the beach I love Phuket and Krabi but it is too far from our residence in Khon Kaen and  I do not like Pattaya all that much. I been to Cha Am and Hua Hinn one time for about a week and thought it would be a great place to live because of the infrastructure and having the best hospitals in Thailand. I love Koh Chang but it is very inconvenient sometimes having to go across the ferry whenever we need to go to Homepro at least we got a Macro and BigC. Also hanging out at the beach or pool gets kind of tiring and when you seen and done everything on the island that is all that is left to do.

I like it very much, I first lived in Korat, then Bkk and now spend time between Bkk and Hua Hin. My other half is from Khon Kaen originally and we visit quite often. Spent last Christmas at the Pullman in Khon Kaen and enjoyed their Christmas Eve buffet very much.

It sounds like you have more experience of Thailand than me, so you will know all the pro's and negatives. Hua Hin is what you want it to be. The best beaches are probably south of town, the whole centre can get congested at weekends with Bkk weekenders, who are the major source of 'tourists' to Hua Hin now. But if you know your way around, it's not an issue - Public Holidays are - but as there is a good sized expat community here, there are many places to eat and drink untouched by tourism. 

Heaps of developments at all price ranges and by now the good and bad are well known. I'm about 15 minutes south and west from the centre of town, off of Soi112, but 10 from the nearest beach and Mall. Where I am is very quiet but if you like nightlife then there is plenty along Sois88 & 94 without having to hit the original centre. 

If you're a golfer then there are at least 7 courses in and around the town, I believe two host PGA tournaments. There's the usual Hash clubs and even a trash hero's beach cleaning team.

You mentioned HomePro, we also have Index, Thai Watsadu and Global in the area. Bluport has Gourmet Market, Tesco's is in Market Village Mall and there are two Villa Markets and Makro's, lot's of markets and a zillion restaurants, everything from Indian to Vegan and all choices in between. 

Condo's near the beach are expensive and many empty for much of the time as owned by Bangkokians. We have a beautiful hinterland and coast around the Pranburi, Sam Roi Yot areas, lots of national parks nearby and a vineyard about 45 minutes drive inland, less for me, I like to go there for lunch from time to time, where you sit high above the vines with commanding views of the Countryside. Plenty of wild elephants west of town as well.

So yes, I like it very much, but I have been visiting since 2000. I assume you're American? Plenty in town, a neighbour on my resort is from the States and teaches in Bkk 4 days per week. Check out the local Hua Hin Forum, I'm on there as well and several Americans on there also, including one of the mods..  

Air Asia now fly from Hua Hin to Kuala Lumpur and have talked about opening domestic routes to KK, CM and the like, but that's all gone quiet for now.  Get back to me if I can help with anything else

• Like 1