• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Steve_S

Accurist info required please

My wife is busy cleaning an polishing various items of jewellery that her elderly mother gave her some years ago. None of it would have cost much, but then, things don't have to be valuable to have great value :)

One of the items has piqued my curiosity. It's a 'gold' wristwatch made by Accurist. It has a gold-coloured case with white 'diamonds' around the bezel, a stainless steel back and a fine 'gold' chain bracelet. I'm guessing that the chain and clasp is 9ct gold, given the lack of wear that I would expect if it was plated (it was her mother's everyday watch for many years). The thing that confuses me is the marking on the case: "Accurist 728000 Japan". There is no hallmark visible anywhere.

I cannot find any mention of Accurist making watches in Japan. Where Accurist watches either made there, or perhaps marked for sale in Japan?

Can anybody tell me what a 'Japanese Accurist' is?

Whoops.

>WERE< Accurist watches either made there ... :rolleyes:

As mentioned, likely the Japan reference is to the quartz movement inside. Most modern Accurist watches are made in China (as are the majority of high street brands).

If the case is gold, the hallmark would likely be inside, on the caseback.

It could just be gold plated though.

Pics may help, but opening the case is probably going to be more definitive.

I have a lovely chronograph Accurist bought from H. Samual early 90's inscribed 'Made In Japan' that for me indicates it was watch and not just movement? Always thought it interesting as not a Japanese manufacturer

Thanks for the replies but apologies for taking so long - I couldn't sign in for a while.

So it looks like a branded 'Accurist' watch might indeed have been manufactured in Japan. I wonder if that means manufactured to the usual (high) standards in Japan, or simply assembled in accordance with Accurist drawings? That is not to suggest that Japanese assembly is inferior, far from it. I am a big fan of Japanese manufacturing.

8 hours ago, Steve_S said:

Thanks for the replies but apologies for taking so long - I couldn't sign in for a while.

So it looks like a branded 'Accurist' watch might indeed have been manufactured in Japan. I wonder if that means manufactured to the usual (high) standards in Japan, or simply assembled in accordance with Accurist drawings? That is not to suggest that Japanese assembly is inferior, far from it. I am a big fan of Japanese manufacturing.

Accurist founded at the end of WW2 used private label manufacturers from the outset, initially production was from Switzerland but in the early 1980's it was switched to Japan. By the early 1990's Accurist was the UK's leading brand by value (remarkably!) and had something like 40% of the UK watch market. A few years ago they were sold to the company who owns Sekonda, no idea where they are made now.

But yes Accurist were made in Japan by a third party manufacturer