• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I was just reading a thread on the WUS forum posted by a guy wanting advice for his first GMT.

It reminded me how much joy I get from my only GMT, and not to mention that it reminds me of the time in Sydney, Aus (where my youngest currently is) better than anything else in my watch box (obviously).

I absolutely wish to add to my GMT collection, so would be super grateful for you guys to show me yours (so to speak), and/or otherwise post your thoughts on GMTs generally.

Cheers1f6053d20f53e8b69183a90836347d7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was just reading a thread on the WUS forum posted by a guy wanting advice for his first GMT.   It reminded me how much joy I get from my only GMT, and not to mention that it reminds me of the time

I'll add my Pepsi version to join @rhaythorne's Coke model...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accept no substitutes :)

This is one of the few (possibly only) GMT that functions the way a GMT watch should function.  You adjust the time until the GMT hand is set to GMT, then you move the hour hand independently forwards/backwards to set the local time.  If you move the hour hand past midnight the date moves forwards one day; if you move the hour hand back before midnight the date moves back one day.

Rolex GMT Master II
rolex-gmt-master-ii-20190427.jpg

Edited by rhaythorne
spelling
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Accept no substitutes :)

This is one of the few (possibly only) GMT that functions the way a GMT watch should function.  You adjust the time until the GMT hand is set to GMT, then you move the hour hand independently forwards/backwards to set the local time.  If you move the hour hand past midnight the date moves forwards one day; if you move the hour hand back before midnight the date move back one day.

Rolex GMT Master II

Not sure that setting the GMT hand to GMT would be very useful - especially if you live in the UK and want to show the time elsewhere. Maybe the GMT tag needs to be changed to dual time. 

• Like 2
Accept no substitutes [emoji4]
This is one of the few (possibly only) GMT that functions the way a GMT watch should function.  You adjust the time until the GMT hand is set to GMT, then you move the hour hand independently forwards/backwards to set the local time.  If you move the hour hand past midnight the date moves forwards one day; if you move the hour hand back before midnight the date moves back one day.
Rolex GMT Master II
Yes, my Seiko operates in exactly the same way.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Eski said:

Yes, my Seiko operates in exactly the same way.

Oh damn!  And I was feeling so smug :laugh:

A lot of the ETA-powered (can't remember exactly which movement it is) GMT's operate differently.  You set the time as normal then pull out the crown one more stop in order to adjust the GMT hand by turning the crown one way or quick-setting the date by turning the crown the other way.  It sort of works but is nowhere near as convenient as doing it the "proper" way.

This Breitling is an example of a watch that uses ETA's methodology:

breitling-superocean-gmt.jpg

• Like 2
Oh damn!  And I was feeling so smug [emoji23]

A lot of the ETA-powered (can't remember exactly which movement it is) GMT's operate differently.  You set the time as normal then pull out the crown one more stop in order to adjust the GMT hand by turning the crown one way or quick-setting the date by turning the crown the other way.  It sort of works but is nowhere near as convenient as doing it the "proper" way.

This Breitling is an example of a watch that uses ETA's methodology:

breitling-superocean-gmt.jpg

Haha. The Rolex still holds a considerable extra degree of gravitas!

Whether Cola or Pepsi, they're both fizzin' smile.gif.71427c61fea3abaef392e259e48da727.gif

My (limited) understanding of GMTs is that 'true' GMTs are certainly in the minority, and most famously belong to Rolex models.

However, when adjusting mine I've appreciated the way it works. I haven't tried the other flavour.

Saw this 'Monta Atlas' today. Very nice imho. Only 38.5mm, which to me sounds cool.b192242eb5a002ee8504253fb0a36915.jpg38dfcb871bcdd1a6560ab19615b5b4cc.jpgdd114bbd895337c00127ebbae577df5b.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't really understand Rhaythorne's explanation - sorry.

Anyway, this is a 'true' GMT. The Martin Maker III, the GMT hand can be independently set and will then 'follow' the other hands in 30 minute leaps when re-setting the time. I have never taken a really good pic of this watch. Must correct that. Pretty thing though and the usual Bremont quality.

IMG-0117-013.jpg

IMG-0041-036.jpg

IMG-0059-026.jpg

IMG-0101-018.jpg

IMG-0010-091.jpg

This is a dual time - as the name implies!

IMG-0011-093.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Caller. said:

I didn't really understand Rhaythorne's explanation - sorry.

Anyway, this is a 'true' GMT. The Martin Maker III, the GMT hand can be independently set and will then 'follow' the other hands in 30 minute leaps when re-setting the time.

:huh:

The feeling's mutual :laugh:

As I see it, GMT is GMT and therefore, once set, it never needs to be adjusted.  It's the hour/minute hands that you need to change as you travel between different time zones leaving GMT set as is.  You can use the rotating bezel to follow a second, different time zone if you wish.  The ETA-based watches that have independently adjustable GMT hands do it back to front.  With those watches, if you move to a different time zone, say, one hour ahead, and you reset the time accordingly, your GMT hand is now no longer set to GMT!  A "proper" (in my view) GMT watch will allow you to adjust the local time without affecting the GMT hand.

But, as mentioned earlier, you don't have to use the watches this way.  With either method you can of course set them to follow whatever time zones you like.

• Like 1

My understanding of GMTs

'True' GMT allows the normal hour hand to be set independently without the seconds hand stopping. This way the GMT hand stays at your home timezone and you can change the primary time according to the timezone you're in without losing your time accuracy.

The other type of GMT allows for the GMT hand to be set separately, so, for example, if you want to keep track of a relative who's in another tinezone without changing your primary time.

Hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

So I really like the look of the added GMT hand on many GMT watches, however I find no use for the function. A simple rotating bezel with hour markers would suffice just fine and without the unnecessary added complication in the movement, making it more prone to expensive issues and servicing.

Still, I really love the look!

So I really like the look of the added GMT hand on many GMT watches, however I find no use for the function. A simple rotating bezel with hour markers would suffice just fine and without the unnecessary added complication in the movement, making it more prone to expensive issues and servicing.
Still, I really love the look!
A rotating bezel works for 12 hours only though, doesnt it? GMTs track the whole 24.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Eski said:

A rotating bezel works for 12 hours only though, doesnt it? GMTs track the whole 24.

Ummmm....

Well, yes.

I mean, GMTs, like the ones with an added central point hand, tend to utilize a 24hr format, which I find even less functionally user friendly than a standardized 12 hour dial rotation, which almost all other watches employ. But I guess, if you want to look at it this way, then yes, that would be correct.

Ummmm....

Well, yes.

I mean, GMTs, like the ones with an added central point hand, tend to utilize a 24hr format, which I find even less functionally user friendly than a standardized 12 hour dial rotation, which almost all other watches employ. But I guess, if you want to look at it this way, then yes, that would be correct.

It's a bit more than looking at it a certain way to be fair. With a rotating bezel you have no way of differentiating between AM and PM.

I have had quite a few in my time, the best in my experience was the GMT Master II which I no longer have and the Seamaster GMT which had the same way of operating

large.omega_seamaster_GMT_01.jpg.77571dfdce52af18aee3a30faf9a9b25.jpg

I have still got an Explorer II which I use for travel, I kept it rather than the GMT Master II because it attracts less attention

large.1361862122_IMAG05932.jpg.5ab1598c1ce1b7bc719034ec45a8609a.jpg

I could never warm to the standard ETA 2839-2 GMT because the 12 hour hand didn't have an independent setting capability only the 24 hour GMT hand did which seems to miss the point of a GMT watch in my opinion

For places were wearing anything shiny isn't a good idea I wear this Marathon Navigator, not a true GMT watch but two time zones although you have to remember if it is am or pm 

large.P8130082s.jpg.f9d83bb479c4ff184f550d6e91f87fef.jpg 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Eski said:

It's a bit more than looking at it a certain way to be fair. With a rotating bezel you have no way of differentiating between AM and PM.

I wouldn't have that issue at all, but to each their own.

Being odd I never had a GMT watch when working abroad. Mainly because as an engineer the ability to subtract a whole number for the US or add a whole number for Asia was a basic requirement. :laugh:

For really short trips I never bothered adjusting my watch at all, I still don't for European holidays. 

Also where we were most of time wearing anything flash meant you might not get back to the hotel with it. 

did have a Casio waveceptor though for a while which could be set to different zones. 

On the whole even though I have had a couple of gmts they are not really for me.

Quite like that marathon navigator though. Like also Roy's watch that had a 12 hr bezel. 

Edited by Rotundus

I believe the black GMT is missing from the line up so here it is, i set the GMT hand to my home time and the others to the local time whereever that is, 

very useful to track the time difference between Newcastle ( work ) and Pontefract ( home ) 

large.8DE8E705-3A57-45F7-90F8-4B8EAA2158F5.jpeg.5f7610836d8f9259ccf7f099eedca7ef.jpeg

• Haha 1