• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
barkyboy

Diver Advice Sought

10 hours ago, barkyboy said:

I'm quite liking the Bell & Ross. Its not a manufacturer I have ever considered so I will be taking a look.

Bell & Ross have a huge heritage and the quality and Movements are outstanding they are also quite slim on the wrist unlike some of the Boat Anchors about and IMO fit better on the wrist than the Rolex Submariner...if the Diver requirement is solely the look rather than needing a 300mtr+ dive watch then they are a great choice but there are so many options in this very overcrowded niche.. whatever you decide upon please try the piece before you buy as pictures and measurement can be deceiving...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX017. Since the previous generation was discontinued they are rising monthly in price. Will be beyond £2k soon. Need a reasonably sized wrist however!

14 hours ago, Rotundus said:

WIN_20190410_16_57_37_Pro

Stop mucking about !

Yes. Stop mucking about. Much though I like many of the others, this would be my choice.

• Like 1

Almost forgot, I've got a great diver up for sale in your price range as well... SpringDrive Seiko Marine Master GMT 600M. I could be persuaded to take £1500 for it if you're interested.

Edited by JayDeep

I hate giving suggestions that people didn’t really ask for - but I feel duty bound to.

My recommendation would be to save yourself a shed load of money and buy either:

1) The William Walker Watch Diver - which is coming out on Kickstarter soon - I understand for about £300-400

68684b806a27e691bbd6c485c6a0a4eb.jpg

2) Precista PRS-82 reissue of the Royal Navy watch at £425

07fe1212ceb12158bf116682697ce9fb.jpg

3) Time Factors Dreadnought Voyager GMT at £875

127b5cea7b5c409f6a6130836011ef5b.jpg

4) Timefactors Sewills Professional Diver at £525

21cce6d657e050b2dbbc44546473b81f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5) And Finally the Newmark 71 which I believe will be about £399

1d962b1ce4f6d2daf04e7c4cf0576824.jpg

Edited by KAS118
  • Like 2

Sea-Gul also had a nice automatic diver with a gorgeous but simple dial, nice hands set and is 200m.

Oris Aqua are supposed to be a lot of watch for the money. Iirc it has an integrated strap though, which puts me off a little.

Longines Hydroconquest has a newer model that is quite nice (I can't seem to find one in a shop to handle, I really want the grey ceramic but don't want to buy it blind)

Sinn make some stunning watches, and I will own one at some point when I've checked a couple of others off my list.

15 hours ago, KAS118 said:

I hate giving suggestions that people didn’t really ask for - but I feel duty bound to.

My recommendation would be to save yourself a shed load of money and buy either:

1) The William Walker Watch Diver - which is coming out on Kickstarter soon - I understand for about £300-400

68684b806a27e691bbd6c485c6a0a4eb.jpg

2) Precista PRS-82 reissue of the Royal Navy watch at £425

07fe1212ceb12158bf116682697ce9fb.jpg

3) Time Factors Dreadnought Voyager GMT at £875

127b5cea7b5c409f6a6130836011ef5b.jpg

4) Timefactors Sewills Professional Diver at £525

21cce6d657e050b2dbbc44546473b81f.jpg

5) And Finally the Newmark 71 which I believe will be about £399

1d962b1ce4f6d2daf04e7c4cf0576824.jpg

As long as we're giving advice that are well below budget, I'll add the CWC diver range (preferably their quartz alternatives due to being more rugged and having a slightly thinner case, but YMMW.) https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collections/brand-cwc

I myself recently bought the Certina DS PH200 reissue, if you're into the whole modern retro thing (and again, way under budget):
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/certina-ds-ph200m-hands-on

• Like 1

If you like Breitling, plenty of choice in budget.

I like the older (vintage nearly) SuperOceans, ie A17040, A17360. 

88b8de565c79e9100611f7b7e74d8f8c_large.j

25 minutes ago, barkyboy said:

Longines look a lot of watch for the money. Any local experience on here?

I have owned the Longines Conquest Auto 39mm and the 41mm Conquest GMT. Both current watches but not divers. Longines can not be beaten value wise. you can always get 25% off if you ring around and the quality you get is unrivalled in my opinion. Their divers are just not quite my style but are superb build and the Hydroconquest is a classic watch. Furthermore the Longines watches are actually "luxury" watches in that the tolerances and finish on their case, dial and bracelets is up there with TAG,Omega and others.... For me only the hands sometimes needs a bit more attention but thats nit picking.

21 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I have owned the Longines Conquest Auto 39mm and the 41mm Conquest GMT. Both current watches but not divers. Longines can not be beaten value wise. you can always get 25% off if you ring around and the quality you get is unrivalled in my opinion. Their divers are just not quite my style but are superb build and the Hydroconquest is a classic watch. Furthermore the Longines watches are actually "luxury" watches in that the tolerances and finish on their case, dial and bracelets is up there with TAG,Omega and others.... For me only the hands sometimes needs a bit more attention but thats nit picking.

The Hydroconquest is a stunning piece and as you say a classic...but at 44mm its a monster on the wrist just wish it was closer to 39-40mm and what a bargain being offered at just £550 from Chisholm Hunter 

33 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

The Hydroconquest is a stunning piece and as you say a classic...but at 44mm its a monster on the wrist just wish it was closer to 39-40mm and what a bargain being offered at just £550 from Chisholm Hunter 

It does also come in 41mm .... which is less of a dinner plate ....

On 02/05/2019 at 06:40, Jonesinamillion said:

IMG_20190502_063858

This^ does the `divers watch` moniker well, and looks good if you`re wearing a suit or just casual, very very versatile especially on the bracelet!

I would say that though, i`ve got the newer version on rubber!:whistle:

23 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

Chisholm Hunter? 

I came do close to a 41mm Ceramic HydroConquest but then spotted the Oris Diver 65.

From reading online this watch is a homage to a style of watch from the 60s.

Are any other Manufacturers doing anything similar? 

Or as a wildcard is it worth  seeking an original vintage watch. I assume these are more expensive than modern reproductions? 

Thanks as ever!