• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Off To The Cloud

After many years and headaches on dedicated servers I've decided to move the forum to the cloud.

This will mean, if all goes well, a couple of hours downtime.

I'll give a days notice before I do it and I might do it in the middle of the night, over the weekend, to avoid any inconvenience :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

a couple of hours :face-screaming-in-fear::face-screaming-in-fear::face-screaming-in-fear::face-screaming-in-fear::face-screaming-in-fear:

:thumbsup:

well done that man !!!

:rltrlt:

I'm only guessing. Already have the cloud server set up. I recon I can do it within an hour but that is if everything goes ok.

10 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I use these guys 

https://krystal.co.uk/client/services/webhosting

they had the top rated web hosting on Trustpilot when i signed up, and when I hit major problems due to poor hotel wifi right on changeover they stepped right in, sorted everything for me as an exceptional case, and the service was excellent

Still need our own server but it will be in the cloud rather than a dedicated server. Our database is too large for shared hosting. You get no help with these though, I'm totally on my own with zero support but all the resources are ours alone. 

• Like 1

I might actually attempt this tomorrow afternoon. Ive just run several tests for the last few hours and I think I have everything ready for a quick change. 

If time is on my side then expect a short outage tomorrow afternoon while the DNS propagates.

• Like 2

As a regular visitor to Cloud 9 so I'm told I can highly recommend the move. It's not quite as good as Cloud Cuckoo Land but a good second option. :crazy5vh:

• Haha 1

Congratulations on a smooth change over @Roy....all seems to have gone well and not a lot of downtime either....I was getting worried I might have to talk to the wife if we had been down much longer.....:laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Congratulations on a smooth change over @Roy....all seems to have gone well and not a lot of downtime either....I was getting worried I might have to talk to the wife if we had been down much longer.....:laughing2dw:

Thanks Roger but we are still on the old server, don't ask :laugh:

Just now, Iceblue said:

Well done Roy seems to have gone smooth 

Not really will have to try again but thought I'd get it back online until I sort the problems out :thumbsup:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Roy said:

Thanks Roger but we are still on the old server, don't ask :laugh:

Not really will have to try again but thought I'd get it back online until I sort the problems out :thumbsup:

Roy these things can be a night mare I no the past when your had issue took a little while , but keep up the good work and hope it’s sorted soon for you 

• Thanks 1

Right I’ve run some tests and I can do it. Problems are the database is 20gig in size so it’s a big process. There will be a few hours down time and a few more hours for dns propagation. I will provide a direct link to the new server so you can all access it when I start the transfer. I’m hoping to try tomorrow night. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roy said:

I’m hoping to try tomorrow night. 

Thanks for the heads up, Roy....I'm planning a fishing trip for Monday so that if we're not up and running by 07.30, I'm out of the house and far, far away from 'er indoors. :laughing2dw:

Of course, you know I'm only jesting.

I, and everyone else here on the site realise how stressful this must be and hope everything goes according to plan and that our beloved forum is up and running again ASAP. Thanks for all you do for us, Roy. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Forum may go down soon, if all the checks work out fine. I will redirect the forum to the new server until the DNS gets sorted. Please be patient with me, I'm doing my best :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Whoo Hoo all done :thumbsup:

4G now works and the forum should be faster as I've had time to optimise everything.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Roy said:

Whoo Hoo all done :thumbsup:

4G now works and the forum should be faster as I've had time to optimise everything.

Everything seems OK.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

Just now, Stan said:

Seems quicker.:thumbsup:

Yep, certainly loading a lot quicker on my antique equipment. Emojis are slow to load though, not worried about that though.

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Yep, certainly loading a lot quicker on my antique equipment. Emojis are slow to load though, not worried about that though.

Yes I know there is a small error with those which will be sorted this week :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Well all seems good after five days so have shut down and cancelled the old server, this one is quicker and £40 a month cheaper :thumbsup:

• Thanks 3