UK Watch Forum banner

Parnis

17K views 210 replies 27 participants last post by  ubik08 
#1 ·
For those who want the look without the Price Tag ..these may be of some interest...but I would recommend if you see something that takes your fancy shop around on the well known Auction sites as they can be found much cheaper than buying direct... :thumbsup:

https://parnis.org/collections?utm_source=PARNIS+WATCH+CO.&utm_campaign=8752ac73d9-SHIPPING+UPDATE+(CNY)_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dba812780f-8752ac73d9-65979803&goal=0_dba812780f-8752ac73d9-65979803&mc_cid=8752ac73d9&mc_eid=e52c41706c

Reactions: ziggy1024
#3 ·
"Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery that Mediocrity can pay to greatness"

I find their Honesty refreshing rather than going down the "Homage" route that so many find comfort in...

#7 ·
For those who want the look without the Price Tag ..these may be of some interest...but I would recommend if you see something that takes your fancy shop around on the well known Auction sites as they can be found much cheaper than buying direct... :thumbsup:

https://parnis.org/collections?utm_source=PARNIS+WATCH+CO.&utm_campaign=8752ac73d9-SHIPPING+UPDATE+(CNY)_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dba812780f-8752ac73d9-65979803&goal=0_dba812780f-8752ac73d9-65979803&mc_cid=8752ac73d9&mc_eid=e52c41706c
I actually recommend that you do not shop around for other "gray market" dealers of Parnis. They use Parnis parts but are not built by Parnis and they lack the quality. I know, I've done it many times. Unless it's quartz, stay away from other dealers of Parnis. I recommend going straight to the source. They are, at least, of reasonable quality for what you pay, which is only about $10-20 more than elsewhere.

#9 ·
I think milsub homages are not too bad, because that was an MOD spec, but it seems weird to want a 'pretend' watch. However, I inadvertently bought a homage to an Omega AT model that few people (including me) had seen before, because I just thought it looked Japanese (others didn't); but I am sure that the 'fang' indices are inspired by one Seiko range (monsters), and the embossed stripes on the white dial by another Seiko range ('Karesansui'), so who can lay claim? And was no Rolex ever inspired by the design of another watch, and have none developed technology from another pioneer? It's murky really. But these Parnis are mostly just blatant rip-offs. IMHO It's better to find something more 'original' you like, or at least something with a twist.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
As you may have gathered I rather like Parnis watches & have found some of them to be excellent. They are obviously not to everyone`s taste & some people take real exception to them but to me it`s just...

[IMG alt="Image result for water off a duck's back" data-ratio="80.00"]https://live.staticflickr.com/2803/4020066317_47f68c8f44_z.jpg[/IMG]​

:tongue:​

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I respect your views John & others who are of the same opinion, however it won`t make me suddenly want to dispose of my Parnis & Alphas etc., each to their own as they say :thumbsup:

Reactions: JayDeep
#21 ·
Interesting. Parnis always seems to be a "light the touch paper" topic. There are plenty of other "lookie likeies" out there, why does this particular brand draw so much flak ? And no, I don't want one in the same way I don't want an Explorer "tribute", but I've got a Steihart diver, so that makes me a raging hypocrite.

hqdefault.jpg

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I`m rather impressed with these,imo their build quality is excellent & they have Japanese (Miyota) movements....

:biggrin:​

Attachments

#24 ·
I`m rather impressed with these, imo build quality is excellent & they have Japanese (Miyota) movements....

View attachment 16610

Now THAT ^ looks excellent, and as far as I can tell, it's not an homage or copy of anything else out there (Davey P sits down and waits for someone to step in and post a pic of something that looks exactly like it, but for 10 times the price... :whistle: :laughing2dw: )

Nothing wrong with Parnis IMHO. As long as they don't use the original branding and logos, they can't be classed as fakes, and they're not fooling anyone anyway, so who cares? Life's too short to get bent out of shape over these things, move along, nothing to see here... :thumbsup:

#23 ·
Parnis have done some original designs before too. Still do. So it's not like you can say that everything they do is a direct copy. I think many of us tend to be too harsh and judgemental, too quickly, when we even see or hear the name Parnis. But, as always, to each their own. You spend your money on what makes you happy and I'll do the same.

#39 ·
Had one of these - good watch. PARNY.jpg

PARNY-2.jpg
ive had this and can confirm they are nicely made with a noisy rotor. In the case of mine. A nice watch for the 85 quid i paid. That was circa 2014 and its still running, though i don't own it now.

In short you are saying "you get what you pay for". As a retired retailer of some years, I can confirm there is no other saying more inaccurate than that one.
i once paid 50 grand for a jag that kept breaking down. But i know generally you do. I once paid 3 grand for a 20 year old porsche that was perfect tatty but totally reliable.

#35 ·
I love Parnis threads, as there is no watch brand that gets so many people hot under the collar. Including Parnis sub brands, I own about 10. Yes, it's true that Parnis are a mushroom brand, and the products are made in varying factories. The secret is to find a good supplier. I use "mywatchcode" and have done for a few years. They get the product to my door within a week, and I have never paid any duty. I have had two problems. A bracelet with tight screws, which meant I ended up damaging it. They sent me a replacement FOC within a week. Another watch stopped working, so they took it back and replaced the movement. They also paid my return postage. I have a policy of only buying Parnis watches with Japanese movements now, and haven't had a problem since. 316L cases, sapphire windows, excellent straps, and Japanese movements for fantastic prices. Of course, there are those who will put them under a microscope and find issues, but let's be real shall we?

Whether people like or don't like homage watches is a different matter all together. I love some of the luxury brand designs, but can't afford them, and I won't buy a fake. For this reason I see know problem in wearing a homage. I once worked for a large clothing retailer. The buyers quite often took in expensive lines from other retailers and requested our manufacturers produce the same item at a lesser price. This is how the world works, and there is a good chance something you are wearing at the moment had been copied from someone else. The moment some famous woman gets married, there are dozens of wedding dress makers copying the dress, it's life, and watches are no different.

#36 ·
Of course, there are those who will put them under a microscope and find issues, but let's be real shall we?
It does not take a microscope to see that a $100 watch is ........ a $100 watch.

In much the same way that a ÂŁ500 Tissot on close inspection ...... looks like a ÂŁ500 watch.

In the watch world, you usually get what you pay for sub ÂŁ3K if you stay away from certain Micro Brands and Parnis "in house" range are offering about bang on value for what they are so long as you don't pay stupid money for them etc etc.

Of the "issues" found in cheap watches, most are "faults allowed for" I would imagine given the product spec ..... but occasionally there is the odd ridiculous QC faux-pas . But this also applies to seiko, citizen and a few other mass producers at the lower end.

I guess its all about acceptance of what the reality is.

A hackney tart is not in the same league as a Mayfair hooker , and neither pretend they are the other.

#47 ·
I don't get the cost argument. Any watch for the mass market is going to be designed down to a cost at which the manufacturer and retailers involved can make a profit. That applies whether or not it's a homage.

So, I won't be strolling into the pub flashing my Casio Edifice, because it's not that kind of watch, despite being perfectly well made, as far as I can tell.

If a watch is thrown together from shoddy materials, I expect it will show that up sooner or later by falling to bits.

#65 ·
i find that seiko must have used superb stainless in the 70s as even an abused case is never pitted even on the back dinged and scratched yes, but theres never any corrosion in the case, which is not something i can say for some of the 60s swiss watches ive had, which have been pitted especially an FL, and a few much lesser known brands that died in the quartz revolution...maybe its the colder European climate? As most of my vintage seikos have been Japan domestic.

#84 ·
I didn't realise How a ÂŁ60 throw away watch could cause such passion with people being so judgemental of others taste's ..Cant we just accept that we all love our watches for a variety of different reasons and sometimes if it tells the time looks Ok and lasts a few years its done its job...We are all fully aware of the paths to follow if we want something a little more reliable..but then again that's another arena of one-upmanship for some..

Reactions: Nigelp
#87 ·
Something a little less contentious than the P word.... Don't Forget people that the Watchfinder sale ends in just three days time with massive reductions on the current "Hot pieces"..grab yourself a Ceramic Daytona for just ÂŁ23500 reduced from ÂŁ250000 current RRP ÂŁ9500... along with many others that you may find yourself unable to resist...Be quick or you will surely miss out... :wheelchair: :yahoo:

#104 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll tell you what. Parnis advertising slogan.

Forget about quality, If you want an argument buy a Parnis.

:laughing2dw:

This reminds me of the look on kids faces when their granny tells them the trainers they've bought them for their birthday out of Primark are the same as Adidas.

Apologies Parnis owners, I do have some totally appalling watches. :sorry:

#105 ·
This reminds me of the look on kids faces when their granny tells them the trainers they've bought them for their birthday out of Primark are the same as Adidas.
:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

The best comment in the whole thread

:biggrin:

Reactions: JonnyOldBoy
#109 ·
Had chance to handle a Parnis yesterday,a mate of mine wanted a beater.His high end watches rarely leave his safe.I don't have a dog in this fight these are just observations.The model in question was a speed master copy,looked ok from a distance ,edges of lugs and bracelet were sharp,felt cheap in the hand.Hes pleased with it for sub ÂŁ100.00 ,I think for the money a better beater could be found,but what do I know.

#112 ·
"Won" one the other night on the bay. New automatic blue sterile dial subalike on a seat belt nato, which bizarrely has an omega symbol on the buckle. ÂŁ5.09 plus ÂŁ15 postage. Assuming the movement is either seagull, myota, or hopefully Seiko, plus a useful nato, I can scrap the case and still be happy with the deal.

#121 ·
#113 · (Edited by Moderator)
Homage watches (or whatever you prefer to call them) - Round & round & round we go. where we`re going nobody knows​

Automotive parking light Cloud Tire Vehicle Sky

:rolleyes:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.