• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
futuristfan

OK Help me make a decision

Not a post I would usually make is I am quite driven in making watch purchases but on this occasion I am at a crossroads.

I am in the nice position of having a credit with a local watch retailer. I have narrowed it down to 2 potential purchases both used and both watches I have seriously hankered for although massively different.

Omega Seamaster Proprof  2011 Full Set. Very large marmite watch but unusual and less common comes in bang on credit amount. 

Rolex Milgauss 2009 Watch only. Will need to add some cash.

Bearing in mind there is a chance I may wish to trade these later the lack of Box and papers for the Milgauss niggles me slightly but should I sweat it bearing in mind there are routes to get authentication provenance? 

The proprof will I look a prat with a massive dive watch that probably wont see depths above the hotel pool plus how do they perform in the used market? my thoughts are the Milgauss will hold it's value better?

So what would be your choice thoughts on this quandary? I know ultimately it is down to personal choice but on this occasion I just can't think straight in making a decision and I don't unfortunately have the option of getting both :laugh:  

hate to be a Rolex fan boy here  but:biggrin: over this particular omega I would go milgauss, from a aesthetic & re sale vale point of view :thumbsup:

deano

• Thanks 1

Rolex as the best choice between the two, I suspect the Proprof would be a bit big for normal daily wear. 

• Thanks 1

Rolex Milgauss every time.  Easy to get your money back if you go off it. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve worn my 2018 Ploprof for two days in a row and the only thing I would say is that only in Thailand would I get away with wearing such a beast!

It’s not uncomfortable to wear; the main issues are the size and how it looks to non wis folk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd agree with the majority and go for the milgauss ,never like that model of Omega it's pug ugly .

• Thanks 1

I didn't mind the Omega, I've tried one on. Bit of a beast but I did used to frequently wear a 53mm left hook U - Boat so I didn't think it looked that bad. 

How it would retain it's value is another thing altogether though. I got the distinct impression the AD I tried it in was keen to get shot. Without even asking they offered 25% off and I'm sure I'd of got more. 

The Rolex even without papers would almost certainly do better but at some point you could just send it to get serviced, they returned my LV in a nice travel pouch, boxed and an outer sleeve complete with the new style warranty card. Gives a bit of peace of mind to a buyer when selling on. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Igerswis said:

I’ve worn my 2018 Ploprof for two days in a row and the only thing I would say is that only in Thailand would I get away with wearing such a beast!

It’s not uncomfortable to wear; the main issues are the size and how it looks to non wis folk.

You need to travel to Eastern Europe (and probably many other underdeveloped placed). :whistle:

I'm going the other way to most on this. 

I have never really liked the milgauss and if you really want such a watch, then Omega beats Rolex into the ground, Bar the bracelet according to this report. 

https://watchesbysjx.com/2013/11/comparing-the-omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-15000-gauss-and-the-rolex-milgauss-116400gv-with-live-photos.html

But effectively all Omega's that come under the Master Chronometer label all have anti-magnetic properties that will easily do the job, but then again, so have Bremont. 

Now, my bias is showing here, but having seen Irfans (Igerswis) ploprof with the red bezel more than once, and now having viewed much of his outstanding collection, I think it's an absolute winner and is so unique that it definitely holds it's own against his other watches, I accept you have to have the wrist size to carry it off, but for me it's an absolute belter. The thing is, seeing it on display in a store is one thing, but seeing it in the flesh, in use, the individual component parts make it a very successful whole indeed. I think you have to think a little left field with the ploprof, but it's uniqueness makes it the winner here, for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tis a sad fact that, if ease of selling is a priority, with watches, cars and houses you need to go for the stratospherically special or the extremely mundane. The Ploprof (whilst being unusual) is certainly not the former. The Milgauss is (IMHO) definitely the latter. Ergo, for ease of resale, my shout would be for the Rolex.

Pity  --  because, whilst I couldn't see myself wearing either very much, I find the Omega much more interesting than the Rolex.

Edited by yokel
  • Thanks 1

Rare for me to say, but Milgauss here as well. Better value retention, easier wear, cleaner look, so it goes with more things. Dress up or dress down, you can do it all with the Milgauss. Can't say that for the Ploprof...

Edited by JayDeep
  • Thanks 1

Milgauss.

You'll get to wear it more often, it looks nicer and won't give you one disproportionately massive muscular arm from wearing it.

I really like the milgauss tbh, I reckon it'll hold value long term because it's a bit different and relatively unpopular, without being freakish.

• Thanks 1

The Milgauss for me its getting a lot of love recently... I guess as other Rolex models have already gone into orbit... The Milgauss is at last having its day and could prove excellent returns with ref a future sale...but again I would always buy the one that fits me best ..Enjoy :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1