• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

The Dolce & Gabanna DG7 Gattopardo

Those of us who know some Italian may wonder why the finely wrought Gattopardo wrist watch, launched in 2018 by Dolce & Gabbana was named after a big cat - the leopard. In fact, the inspiration for the watch was a famous 1963 film by Visconti entitled, Il Gattopardo, and starring Burt Lancaster, Alain Delon, and Claudia Cardinale. Dolce & Gabbana have a history of active interest in Italian cinema, even to the point of involvement with classic film restoration, and the epic historical and aristocratic drama played out in Il Gattopardo makes a nice framework for the design of the Luxurious Gattopardo watch.

Pic from imagizer-cv.imageshack.us)

yb4USX.jpg

Leaving aside references from within Il Gattopardo, the eponymous wristwatch certainly slots into the Dolce & Gabbana aesthetic philosophy and is a sumptuous, if rather expensive, addition to the DG7 watch collection, albeit being a piece of neo-baroque showmanship. I say “watch” in the singular but there are in essence two models - the gents’ Gattopardo with an 18 carat rose gold case and mother-of-pearl dial - with a choice between two colourways - and the ladies’ Gattopardo which comes in three flavours, as we shall see.

The gents' D & G DG7 Gattopardo watch - black colourway (pics from horologi.it and,below, aeworld.com):

DolceGabbana.jpg

DolceGabbana-Gattopardo-Watch-Man-.jpg

The common features shared by the men’s Gattopardo and the ladies’ model are headed by the intricate hand engraving that covers the 18 carat rose gold case, the movement rotor, and the pink gold side buttons of the strap snap closure. This delicate decoration is carried out using a burin - a thin steel chisel used to engrave precious metals. This form of decoration, called “ornato” and carried out by master engravers, is time consuming and Dolce & Gabbana (D & G) claim that each watch takes over 20 days for this work to be completed on the case and clasp, with the rotor decoration adding further time and craftsmanship. In addition to being finely engraved, the rotor also has a gold insert bearing the D & G logo. As for the movement, the Gattopardo watch uses a modified ETA 2892 automatic calibe which has a 42 hour power reserve.

Both the men’s and women’s Gattopardo feature sapphire crystals - the women’s watch crystal being domed - and display backs as well as 18 carat gold plated markers/numerals. In terms of the differences between the men’s Gattopardo and that intended for women, the main difference is in case size, with the ladies’ version having a 34mm case as opposed to 40mm for the men's model.

The back of the gents' DG7 Gattopardo showing the ornate engraved decoration (pic from Buro247.me):

dolce-gabbana-gatopardo-inside.jpg

For gentlemen, the watch comes in a choice of two options. The first has a black mother-of-pearl dial and black alligator strap, while the second option features a pink mother-of-pearl dial and burgundy alligator strap.

The two colourways - black and pink - of the men's Gattopardo (pic from aeworld.com):

DolceGabbana-Gattopardo-Watch-Man-2.jpg

For the ladies there are three versions to choose from, all of them having ten gemstones set on the non-numerical gold plated markers and a ruby set in the (screw-down?) crown. Colourway 1 features black diamonds, black mother-of-pearl dial, and black alligator strap: Colourway 2 features rubies, pink mother-of-pearl dial and Bordeaux alligator strap; and colourway 3 features colourless diamonds, black mother-of-pearl dial, and black alligator strap.

The three versions of the Gattopardo for women (pic from aeworld.com):

Gattopardo-DolceGabbana-Watch-Women-2.jp

As far as prices are concerned, I have found what seems to be the current price of the gents’ black dial; £17,500 or 19,500 euros. And that is basically it. Indeed, in terms of marketing/pricing information, I can find very little readily available online about the Gattopardo - both the ladies’ and gents’ models - which seems rather strange. After all, the watch is not billed as a limited edition and it was only launched - with some “fanfare” - last year. Perhaps D & G (have) over-reached themselves with the Gattopardo watch in their pursuit of higher degrees of luxury in their watches, pushing the envelope of  prices too far as a fashion brand and trying to succeed in the world of high class luxury watch companies with their horological and craftsmanship heritage and excellence. My own feelings about the Gattopardo are mixed because although I am not averse to watches that place the art of decoration above horological interests per se, watches that aim high in the world of truly high-end products do, in my opinion, benefit from combining superior, sometimes innovative, elements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Another good read, Big M and I have a few D&G watches and although nowhere near that sort of cost they have never missed a beat and still look good today. 

Definitely one of the better quality "fashion" brand watches out there

:)

• Thanks 1