• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
mach 0.0013137

English Pin Pallets

Glad you like it Mac :D

I cant remember where I got it from to be honest,

Im glad its gone to a good home.... ;)

Trust you to fill in your own story as to its origins :)

So have you tried to track down the original owner yet? :lol:

From what I have been able to find out so far the young chap`s first name was Guy and he apparently had something to do with dam demolition during the WWII :lol::lol:

I forgot to mention, as it appears that the watch firms, such as Newmark & Services, just assembled the watches from bought in parts, any information on who made these movements, cases, dials & hands would be gratefully recieved :P

Pin pallet unjeweled movements, note the left hand Newmark`s stamped `Made in England`

IPB Image

Typical `English` pin pallet case c1950`s

IPB Image

Very interesting, but it does make me winch seeing those pin pallet movements.

I remember the Timex's with these type of movements, and I never had one that kept good reliable time for very long. They'd always start to run slow after maybe 9 to 12 months wear, and I hated 'em

It was like going from black and white TV to colour when switching to a Swiss jewelled lever.

Edited by Griff

Due to certain on going commitments, I`m havng to cut back on my watch buying for the moment but I just couldn`t resist this which I won last night for less the a tenner inc postage :P

[attachmentid=5543]

(Sellers photo)

and their details....

"Vintage Aviation Watch Boxed Guarantee 1960s? This great period watch looks to be in unused condition. The face is marked Aviation Made in England.It still has the original label which is marked 38/6, just under £2.00 so quite an expensive watch. The watch is in working order though I have not had the back off as I am no expert. The box has some rubbing to the front."

It appears to be NOS and more likely early/mid `50`s :D

post-601-1147805718.jpg

The box has some rubbing to the front.

It appears to be NOS and more likely early/mid `50`s :D

Who sold you my wife :blink: ?

:rolleyes::lol:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Well it arrived this morning, by the mint condition of the watch case, leather strap (which was sewn onto the cast-in lugs when the watch was made) and the `Aviation` tag attached to the strap it would appear to be NOS, the unsigned guarantee sheet also seems to confirm this :D

Although there is no date I strongly expect it to be circa mid `50s at the latest, OK it`s nothing special but still it`s nice to own an unused 50 year old watch :D

Checking the Relative value in UK pounds site shows that 38/6

(ie £1 18s 6d) from 1955 would be worth: £32.85 in 2004 using the retail price index :P

Aviation `No.1`circa Mid `50`s, Made In England

by the Aviation Watch Co., Ltd., 27 Bede St., Leicester,

fitted with a Newmark Pin-Pallet un-jeweled movement

IPB Image

With it`s (slightly worn) box and unsigned gurantee sheet :thumbsup:

IPB Image

One of the reasons I like these watches is that the movement was made by Louis Newmark Ltd of Stafford Road Croydon, which was approx 3 miles from where I used to live in Carshalton Beeches and the Aviation Watch Co., Ltd (& Services Watch Co Ltd.) were based approx 3 miles from where I now live :D

Anyway not bad for less then a tenner :P

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Another one for the collection, this freebie arrived yesterday from a very nice man in Cambridgeshire, thanks Paul :thumbup:

Services Aintree, Unjeweled Pin-pallet, circa Mid 1950`s

Made by The Services Watch Co.,Ltd. Bede Street, Leicester, England B)

IPB Image

It was a bit reluctant to tick when it first arrived even though it was working well when it left Cambridge the day before (probably home sick :P ) anyway after a night to settle in to it`s new home it`s now ticking away strongly :D

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Well, I read it all the way through and thought it was interesting, so I'll give it a bump for others who may be of like mind. Good stuff Mach! :thumbsup:

S.

Edited by Steve R

Another Made in England I have is this Humberstone from 1964 (presentation inscribed)

not a pin pallet, 17J only marks on movement Cal 01 04, tried googling but found nothing....any info?

4u8juw.jpg

Well, I read it all the way through and thought it was interesting, so I'll give it a bump for others who may be of like mind. Good stuff Mach! :thumbsup:
I agree. These post-war British watches deserve more respect. Great work, Mac :thumbup:

british_5a.jpg

1. Westclox, 1960s, made in Dumbarton; presume no jewels pin-lever

2. Timex, 1978, case made in Dundee; other parts and assembly in Taiwan

3. Guildhall, 1950ish, assembled in London; Swiss Bettlach no jewels pin-lever, other parts presumed British

4. Smiths Empire, 1948-55, designed and built in Ystradgynlais; 5 jewel pin-lever calibre RY

5. Smiths, 1956-63ish, designed and built in Ystradgynlais; 5 jewel pin-lever calibre TY

5 watches, 10 jewels, worn with pride

Sorry for the delay in replying, I`ve only just noticed your posts :ph34r:

I`m not sure about the Aviation`s age, possibly pre-war as from the ones I`ve seen post war models seem to use the same style case as Services.

I`m still not sure if Avaition were originally a separate company that got taken over by Services as literature I`ve seen gives separate locations for each company pre-WWII but both based at Bede Street post war :huh:

Nice Services you have there :thumbup:

BTW if you`d be interested in letting the Aviation go, let me know :wink2:

Hi Mach,

Made me go digging, the Aviation is a basket case, what year is this one from approx?

Services still a strong runner keeping good time....

os78sw.jpg

dqlsht.jpg

Another Made in England I have is this Humberstone from 1964 (presentation inscribed)

not a pin pallet, 17J only marks on movement Cal 01 04, tried googling but found nothing....any info?

4u8juw.jpg

Sorry I`ve never heard of this firm but it`s a nice looking watch though :D

BTW This Lewis`s (`Made in England`) that I`d not heard of before turned up on Ebay recently...

d325_1.JPG

I agree. These post-war British watches deserve more respect. Great work, Mac :thumbup:

british_5a.jpg

1. Westclox, 1960s, made in Dumbarton; presume no jewels pin-lever

2. Timex, 1978, case made in Dundee; other parts and assembly in Taiwan

3. Guildhall, 1950ish, assembled in London; Swiss Bettlach no jewels pin-lever, other parts presumed British

4. Smiths Empire, 1948-55, designed and built in Ystradgynlais; 5 jewel pin-lever calibre RY

5. Smiths, 1956-63ish, designed and built in Ystradgynlais; 5 jewel pin-lever calibre TY

5 watches, 10 jewels, worn with pride

A nice little collection, keep up the good work :thumbup:

post-601-1223807921.gif

Edited by mach 0.0013137