• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi!

First of all, I'm new to this forum, so this is my first post.

Recently I wanted to get a new watch, so started exploring online stores, forums and YouTube channels dedicated to watches, found out that Seiko 5 would be the best choice in this price group under 100 bucks (Problem is that I couldn't find the Seiko with delivery from Europe, ones from Asia would take several weeks).

I also really liked the Luch designs (downside is that they are manual-winding) and Vostok Amphibia (I heard that they just don't keep the time too well).

What are some other solid pieces you could recommend me getting under 100$? Mechanical movement would be the main priority, however some decent quartz is ok too, Also 'Swiss made' or 'Japanese made' on the dial would be also nice.

Have a look at Creation watches, cheap grey market Seiko 5s - they're based on Singapore or something but if you choose the paid Royal Mail postage option and it'll be dispatched from Manchester so no customs.

Delivery usually within a week.

They're great, unless something goes wrong; then their returns/repair stuff is a nightmare. Plus Seiko may or may not honour the international warranty. I've used them a bunch of times and have nothing but good things to say, others disagree.

I would only use them for more affordable watches though. I wouldn't go ordering an omega or something off them, just in case.

PS. Welcome to the forum, it's not bad.

Edit. Sorry - that was all for a UK buyer. Just noticed you specified dollars! Jomashop are a grey market alternative for US buyers, but I've never used them.. Other than that I hear good things about Long Island Watch.

Edited by ry ry
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ry ry said:

Have a look at Creation watches, cheap grey market Seiko 5s - they're based on Singapore or something but if you choose the paid Royal Mail postage option and it'll be dispatched from Manchester so no customs.

Creation is a good shout but I would guess from the OP that shipping to the USA is required and Creation would use DHL and that should take days rather than weeks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ry ry said:

Delivery usually within a week.

They're great, unless something goes wrong; then their returns/repair stuff is a nightmare. Plus Seiko may or may not honour the international warranty. I've used them a bunch of times and have nothing but good things to say, others disagree.

I would only use them for more affordable watches though. I wouldn't go ordering an omega or something off them, just in case.

PS. Welcome to the forum, it's not bad.

Edit. Sorry - that was all for a UK buyer. Just noticed you specified dollars! Jomashop are a grey market alternative for US buyers, but I've never used them.. Other than that I hear good things about Long Island Watch.

Sorry, my fault here, I'm from Eastern Europe, should convert to Euros, used dollars instead as most of eBay sellers and international stores use this as the default currency (don't really know any reputable European online watch stores).

But I will definitely check Creation watches out, I think that waiting a few weeks for that price might not be that bad.

Thanks for suggestions.

@R02 you won't go wrong with a Seiko 5, or a Vostok. In my experience, and I've had a good few of both brand, the difference in accuracy between them isn't that much. Another brand worth a look is Orient. Who have several examples in your budget. This one was £64.

large.IMG_20190504_091808586.jpg.810c4d56a45c02d0988181c7e7495fc4.jpg

Sorry , not the best pic.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Thanks 1

As an aside, my Vostok keeps pretty good time. I think it's around +8s which is better than a lot of my other, more expensive, automatics!

It's just pot-luck whether you get a good one or not, but that applies equally to virtually any automatic up to at least a grand!

Edited by ry ry

If you're OK with quartz and more of a military look, these are available in several variations for around £20 and are supposed to be of decent quality. Casio MRW200H-1BV

MRW-200H-1BVDF3-700x700.jpg

Another solid and popular Casio quartz option is the MDV106, available new for around 70£.
Casio-MDV106-1A-full-view.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with Vostok. Yeah they keep crappy time so if it's your only watch don't do it. But, if you're like me and have over 20, who cares? Then again, any watch under $100 will not run great, you get what you pay for.

What's wrong with manual wind? I like them a lot!

Under $100, look at Alpha Watch, the Invicta 8926, anything quartz would do and if it's your only watch I strongly recommend it be quartz!

I hate to break it to ya, but you're asking for a lot with a little. $100 doesn't buy you Swiss made unless it's ancient. Check out @Roy's shop, RLT. There's lots of fantastically priced vintage Swiss watches on it. Lots of it NOS too.

The Invicta I mention is Japanese. Alpha are Chinese. I'd go with some Citizen or Seiko quartz if I were you.

3 hours ago, JacobMoogberg said:

Casio-MDV106-1A-full-view.jpg

This is an awesome suggestion!!!

• Thanks 1

There are a handful of non-terrible Chinese watches that are cheap, have sapphire and automatic movements. Don't know how long they will last.

Check out the YouTube channel "just one more watch" and go back through their vids. Ibelieve Cadisen were one of the brands he likes.

Will £100 get him a Parnis?

Edited by ry ry
  • Like 1

You can pick up an old style Orient mako for about 100usd if you look around too. Recommended watch.

100 is an awkward price! The Casio dive watch is a BRILLIANT suggestion, if you don't mind quartz.

Edited by ry ry

Doh! My mistake the Orient Ray is a hundred pounds, not dollars. https://www.creationwatches.com/products/orient-watches-252/orient-ray-ii-automatic-200m-faa02004b9-mens-watch-10619.html

That's a bloody good price if you can stretch the budget though. I've got the 2019 Orient Kamasu (very similar watch, tedious story why it's got a different name) and it's pretty great. I paid nearly double that for it too :(

(Fyi Mako/Ray are very similar indeed. The dial is the only meaningful difference)

do bear in mind that at every price point there is the "add X% more and you can get something better" factor, so if you go to $150usd, there are a bunch of amazing watches available for around 2-300... That's how you get trapped! ;)

Edited by ry ry
  • Like 1

Secondhand? Lots to be had for little money

Or, and don't shoot me, look at Starling. 28800vph, sapphire, stainless in a modern size. Well under $100

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

Secondhand? Lots to be had for little money

Or, and don't shoot me, look at Starling. 28800vph, sapphire, stainless in a modern size. Well under $100

Starking he meant, is the same class and quality as the Casiden mentioned above by someone.

Also it won't get you a quality Parnis until you're ready to spend more like $150, unless of yourself you're willing to go quartz, then the field opens up a lot.

Edited by JayDeep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey! Thanks for all the response.

I have decided to stick with the Seiko 5. Orient 3 star was a bit cheaper, however didn't have that cool (in my opinion) transparent back. 

Probably going to buy a Vostok also sometime soon, after a G-Shock (probably the sleek looking GD-400)

• Like 1