• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Kristoff

Swisstime woes!

Omega Seamaster Professonal chronometer 300m

Had the watch for 15 years or so now.

Went to Swisstime services for a service (beginning to regret now) early last year.

They seem to have had it more than me in the last year or so.

The time keeping was poor so I ended up sending it back, even worse when I got it back, so it went back AGAIN!

If you spend £370 on a service should you expect it to come back with chronometer time keeping?

It seems to be way out at the moment.

Or am I expecting too much?

• Sad 1

If the timing is way off even though it's been (supposedly) checked once or twice then there's a big problem somewhere.

Sounds like a bunch of idiots. Get on at them as they had not serviced it right first time round, you should not have to pay. £370 sounds rather a lot to me, especially if they are not up to the Job

29 minutes ago, simon2 said:

Did they give you a full report of what they did, during the service. What is the time error?

They told me nothing about what they had done. Just sent it back. Still owe me my return postage for the first time I sent it back. (£11).

I ummed & ahhed about sending somewhere cheaper/local. Wish I had now.

I followed the link to the other thread re. STS. It has some worrying similarities!

I put it right by my desktop clock this morning about 11, already 5 seconds slow. Not sure how accurate that is?

Rotor also seems very noisy. Is this just the movement?

22 minutes ago, Kristoff said:

They told me nothing about what they had done. Just sent it back. Still owe me my return postage for the first time I sent it back. (£11).

I followed the link to the other thread re. STS. It has some worrying similarities!

I put it right by my desktop clock this morning about 11, already 5 seconds slow. Not sure how accurate that is?

Assuming your clock is accurate then no your Omega is not running correctly.

Send it back or demand your money back and try Simon Freese http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

And before anyone says it, yes I am aware he is ex STS but I believe a better service will be provided, worth a thought anyway.

Pity Simon Freese is ex STS rather than ex SAS; he could then put the frighteners on and get Swisstime to get their act together and do the job right. I have often wondered just how easy it is for dodgy watch repairers to either bodge a job or do only the minimum work required to prevent the watch owner from noticing...

• Haha 1

On 13/05/2019 at 19:25, Kristoff said:

Dose the rotor sound like rubbing on something or do you hear gears in the windermodule?

How long dose it run after a avg day on wrist?

£370 buys you a citizen echo drive.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Dose the rotor sound like rubbing on something or do you hear gears in the windermodule?

How long dose it run after a avg day on wrist?

£370 buys you a citizen echo drive.

14 seconds slow, from putting it right yesterday, 3 ish, yesterday afternoon to 7ish this evening?

It does not seem to run as long as it should after winding. My Vostok Amphibian runs much longer I think.

The more I think about it the angrier I get. It is my only "decent" watch. Having it serviced by Swisstime was a big hit!

Seems like they were taking the piss....

On 14/05/2019 at 20:19, simon2 said:

Hope you get this problem resolved. If not give me a shout.

I took if off at about 8pm the other night. It had stopped by 11.30am the following morning!

I will perhaps ask the Watch Guy in Melton Mowbray to put it on his machine, see what he says to accuracy.

How long should it take to fully wind the movement on my watch?

You cant manually wind can you? Or I dont seem to be able to!

4 hours ago, Kristoff said:

I took if off at about 8pm the other night. It had stopped by 11.30am the following morning!

I will perhaps ask the Watch Guy in Melton Mowbray to put it on his machine, see what he says to accuracy.

You should be able to manually wind it, but don't force anything.  The watch guy in Melton Mowbray is closed this week but back next - i'm local too, and have a machine to try it on if you want?  As you can't PM on here yet, I can send you a message if you want me to?

4 hours ago, Kristoff said:

Much as it pains you, I would still be insisting that STS fix it and if they don't at the third time of asking, get a full refund and then you can take it elsewhere. If they refuse the refund, then threaten them with the small claims court. You've paid for a service that they haven't delivered.

Before you do this, give the watch 50 winds before you wear it – you can't overwind the movement. This will ensure it's fully wound. Then time it over 24 hours against a quartz watch you know is accurate. Or use the GMT clock online.

You shouldn't have to lose £370 over this and it's STS's responsibility to correct it.

• Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 05:48, Kristoff said:

Omega Seamaster Professonal chronometer 300m

Had the watch for 15 years or so now.

Went to Swisstime services for a service (beginning to regret now) early last year.

They seem to have had it more than me in the last year or so.

The time keeping was poor so I ended up sending it back, even worse when I got it back, so it went back AGAIN!

If you spend £370 on a service should you expect it to come back with chronometer time keeping?

It seems to be way out at the moment.

Or am I expecting too much?

" live and learn"  same problem with auto mechanics.  next time,  visit the forum first.  vin 

35 minutes ago, vinn said:

" live and learn"  same problem with auto mechanics.  next time,  visit the forum first.  vin 

What does this even mean? He went to an accredited Omega watch repairer. How would visiting the forum first have helped him?

3 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

What does this even mean? He went to an accredited Omega watch repairer. How would visiting the forum first have helped him?

I will tell you.:  if you send out somthing for repair and it is screwed up ---- find another mechanic.   a forum is a good place find. ech.   vin

7 minutes ago, vinn said:

I will tell you.:  if you send out somthing for repair and it is screwed up ---- find another mechanic.   a forum is a good place find. ech.   vin

Are you forgetting the £370 he already has invested in the repair?

I have used STS numerous times and always had superb work done and very good customer service so I am very surprised they don't seem to have given you good service.

Given you have paid for your service and their services have a 12 month guarantee I would suggest you send it back to them explaining the problem or problems. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, scottswatches said:

You should be able to manually wind it, but don't force anything.  The watch guy in Melton Mowbray is closed this week but back next - i'm local too, and have a machine to try it on if you want?  As you can't PM on here yet, I can send you a message if you want me to?

Yes please.

Will probably be at the Market on Tuesday morning.

Chris

2 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Are you Blind Master Po?

Blind Master Po gave the impression of being wise and thoughtful. :yes:

On 17/05/2019 at 13:51, it'salivejim said:

Much as it pains you, I would still be insisting that STS fix it and if they don't at the third time of asking, get a full refund and then you can take it elsewhere. If they refuse the refund, then threaten them with the small claims court. You've paid for a service that they haven't delivered.

Before you do this, give the watch 50 winds before you wear it – you can't overwind the movement. This will ensure it's fully wound. Then time it over 24 hours against a quartz watch you know is accurate. Or use the GMT clock online.

You shouldn't have to lose £370 over this and it's STS's responsibility to correct it.

On advice from an above member (many thanks)

I called in to Timefix in Melton Mowbray this morning. nice guy, very helpfull.

He showed me a video of my watch on time grapher.
Went from about +5, up to +15 seconds then dropped down to -100 plus seconds!
It cycled like this every 15 seconds or so!
Something very wrong!

Not sure what to do about it now.
Amit suggested contacting Omega regarding their recommended repair facility!
I think I will demand my money back. See what they say.
It came with a 2 year warranty I think.

Chris