• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Absolute

Buying a submariner

Nope wouldn't but any Rolex unless it was reasonably priced, but that won't happen with market values and major inflation.

If it was the piece I really wanted then of course I would.....why wouldn't I.... you certainly wont find on for less than RRP

No, Even if a 114060 fell into my lap I would go for a 14060 or a 16610 as the bloated maxi cased subs are IMO much less desirable than the previous generation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No.

Not especially smitten with divers. Certainly not smitten with Rolex.

[Other tastes will be available on this forum :whistling:]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope. 

Old fashioned watches now for me. Tried one on about 18 months ago and it just felt like a slab.

For less than the same money there about a hundred watches I would buy before it from Zenith/JLC/Breitling/Omega.

The nostalgia for the model is understandable, but then again would you have a Cathode Ray Tube Television hanging from your living room wall !?

Times move on and Rolex have actually moved on without people noticing... The "higher demand" BS for steel sports watches is a mask for Rolex just concentrating on their core audience..... old biddies.

And although its possible @yokel may occasionally cross dress whilst wear his Rolex Beater ... I would applaud him for doing so as he clearly "identifies" with the brand in a convincing way.

:laugh:

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Haha 1

Not for me either. Current Rolex prices are obscene even if the quality is there (which it is IMO). Agree they may appear to be old fashioned but then so is the Omega speedmaster moon watch so Rolex aren't alone.  

11 hours ago, Simon M said:

So, if you could find one - would you buy a submariner #144060 no date at retail?

You mean the 114060?

If you like the maxi case and ceramic bezel, then why wouldn't you?

I prefer my 14060M but that's just me. I don't particularly like the 6 digit Rolex

47028354264_6f3fe05cab_c.jpg

Yes, in a heartbeat. I'd love one!

Even if you didn't like it, you could sell it instantly for close to a £1k profit, if you were careful.

Well you're not going to lose any money on it in years to come so if you like it, buy it! I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the maxi case and modern ceramic looks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

no, only because  am one of the  "old biddies" as john puts it :biggrin: and I can actually buy the datejust and exp 2 I wanted :biggrin:

deano

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Absolute said:

So, if you could find one - would you buy a submariner #144060 no date at retail?

Try and negotiate at least 20% discount on a sub.  Dealers always like a tough negotiator.:biggrin::biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

Try and negotiate at least 20% discount on a sub.  Dealers always like a tough negotiator.:biggrin::biggrin:

And ask them to throw in one of those cheapie Pateks.

Yes, did so 2 weeks ago and absolutely adore it.

Seeing that image of the 2-liner highlights the only aspect of the 114060 that could be improved in my eyes - 4 lines of writing unnecessarily clutters the face

yHOknCz.jpg?1

You mean the 114060?
If you like the maxi case and ceramic bezel, then why wouldn't you?
I prefer my 14060M but that's just me. I don't particularly like the 6 digit Rolex
47028354264_6f3fe05cab_c.jpg
I have no plans to buy a Rolex submariner, but if I did it would be the slimmer, more elegant (imho) 14060M.

It's totally subjective of course. The latest version looks more modern, and is probably superior under the hood.

You're not likely to lose money on it if you do pull the trigger, so if it makes you happy and doesn't break the bank, why not?!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

On 20/05/2019 at 20:45, Halitosis said:

Yes, did so 2 weeks ago and absolutely adore it.

Seeing that image of the 2-liner highlights the only aspect of the 114060 that could be improved in my eyes - 4 lines of writing unnecessarily clutters the face

yHOknCz.jpg?1

Lovely. If you don't mind me asking, did you buy this new?