• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

17 hours ago, kevkojak said:

You don't ever have to apologise to me Nigel.

By the way, which do you prefer; vital organs or watches?  I suspect hearts and brains and kidneys might "win" that one as well. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now then... Cats, or cheese?   :teethsmile:

By the way which side of Colwyn are you? I'm visiting my auntie in a few weeks, she's about a two minute walk from The Marine pub/hotel. 

Im in Rhos kev, i know what you are saying they are like comparing apples and pears but cars and watches as hobbies do go together before i was into watches most of the blokes at the factory where my dad worked who were into cars were into watches. Most car Mags have a page devoted to watch reviews even 'Car'. So im with you that they don't directly compare they can't. But these days someone might buy a boat instead of an expensive car as a toy and its the same with watches, instead of a second hand 911 to play with someone with the relevant interests might just stick with the BM and buy a Rolex. So as with the case of buying the boat instead of another second third or fourth car as a toy, sometimes a toss up between an expensive watch and a car can be a decision for someone to take. Just like the car and boat are not direct comparatives and the watch and car are not, a choice between the two can need to be made and someone might sell a watch to buy a car to buy a boat and vis a vis, I'm not really talking about the car as an essential but as a 'toy' just like a speed boat or indeed expensive watch may be bought. On that basis they are relevant to each other in the individual purchasing decision of the man or woman with the relevant interests. As demonstrated above by @BondandBigM he has thought of selling the LV to buy a Porsche. Indeed i sold a Tudor to buy a mercedes CL500. And because the two hobbies or interests go together in that a lot of people who like cars like watches then they will become linked when buying decisions take place I'm not keen on cats. :tumbleweed:

but the car v watch choice often arises and then its up to the individual whether they buy the sports car the watch the boat or all 3...I guess its a man machine toy thing. But cars and watches as interest are definitely a common theme and its a case of which you choose and at what point to spend your money on. At that stage it will be car v watch...and the car might well win...or the watch. Cats? I dont think they come into the man machine interest category like watches, cars, boats, planes or trains...computer...toys...

Therefore the cat lover is likely to have the cat regardless and in preference to the car or watch. 

But not for me i really dont like cats. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

I thought about selling all my watches to spend time at home with the kids.

What do you prefer; watches or family? 

Same thing and directly related, I presume... 

I thought about selling a pretty rare Seiko recently to take the family away.

What do you prefer; watches or holidays?

Using your logic it is, again, exactly the same thing.

Sorry Nigel. I hate being pedantic but try joining a car forum and telling everyone how much better watches are than cars. Or joining a truck forum and telling everyone how good caravans are. Or a steak forum and telling everyone how good it is to eat vegetarian.

It's fricking ridiculous, and while cars are absolutely a valid topic for discussion and a massively popular topic on a "blokey" forum,  it's quite insulting to suggest that they are more popular that watches on a watch forum.  You're an intelligent chap, you sure my must see that??????

I am getting myself wound up now so I'm gonna log off but am I alone in this opinion?  This isn't a car forum... as much as Nigel wants it to be. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

I thought about selling all my watches to spend time at home with the kids.

What do you prefer; watches or family? 

Same thing and directly related, I presume... 

I thought about selling a pretty rare Seiko recently to take the family away.

What do you prefer; watches or holidays?

Using your logic it is, again, exactly the same thing.

Sorry Nigel. I hate being pedantic but try joining a car forum and telling everyone how much better watches are than cars. Or joining a truck forum and telling everyone how good caravans are. Or a steak forum and telling everyone how good it is to eat vegetarian.

It's fricking ridiculous, and while cars are absolutely a valid topic for discussion and a massively popular topic on a "blokey" forum,  it's quite insulting to suggest that they are more popular that watches on a watch forum.  You're an intelligent chap, you sure my must see that??????

I am getting myself wound up now so I'm gonna log off but am I alone in this opinion?  This isn't a car forum... as much as Nigel wants it to be. 

ok kev message received i'll ease off. 

Yes I see it Kev. 

You dont need to log off kev, its no big deal. I wont mention it again. I'll do the odd car thread but won't do cars v watches. Sorry. What more can I say? 

Just to add that in the end i think no in fact i'm sure @BondandBigM's LV was preferred by both of us over a Porsche 996, so in a way watches came out the winner. We would both take the Rolex LV over a 911. So I can't be all bad can I? Nevertheless I take your sentiments on board and understand your feelings. 

Edited by Nigelp

6 hours ago, Nigelp said:

In all honesty i wouldnt sell the LV and buy a 911 i'd keep the watch

this from above sums up the conclusion we reached and therefore we in effect put a Rolex Submariner above a Porsche 911 in terms of desirability, based on the fact the car would be a pain in the neck to look after and expensive to maintain. Whilst the watch would just be lovely to own. So that concludes it I guess? Car v Watch. Rolex beats Porsche. 

Edited by Nigelp

15 hours ago, Nigelp said:

this from above sums up the conclusion we reached and therefore we in effect put a Rolex Submariner above a Porsche 911 in terms of desirability, based on the fact the car would be a pain in the neck to look after and expensive to maintain. Whilst the watch would just be lovely to own. So that concludes it I guess? Car v Watch. Rolex beats Porsche. 

Seems we reached the same conclusion

:biggrin:

These Porkers, Mercs, Audi and Beemers are ten a penny anyway but when was the last time you saw an LV on a council estate. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

47078615674_23a172315b_b.jpg

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Seems we reached the same conclusion

:biggrin:

These Porkers, Mercs, Audi and Beemers are ten a penny anyway but when was the last time you saw an LV on a council estate. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

47078615674_23a172315b_b.jpg

Correct! And it makes the watch more special. Looking back I should have kept my Tudor Prince rather than buying another CL500. I'd still have had the watch and the car is long gone. I'd have actually in the end got more pleasure out of owning that watch, as I really did like it, but i chipped the £750 I got for it into the p/x deal from a 2002 CL500 to a 2005 one. Which was a good move, as the 2005 car was superb being the G7 box and having had a ridiculous amount spent on suspension repairs 18 grand in fact! However looking back the watch was a bit special and finding another like it? Well I haven't been able too. It was mint and boxed with papers and original bracelet etc. I don't think it had ever been worn but had been serviced. Whilst with the car I could go on the trader and pick one up now for what 3 grand maybe 2. 

For example...

£2,800 on the trader looking mint and with only 100k on the clock and there are another 137 to choose from

70742be5c0f445d79058ecef36b1a680.jpg

....finding another Tudor like the one i had for £750 might be harder. 

Image result for tudor prince oysterdate