Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

It was @Roger the Dodger made me think of this as a thread and ive entered it in non-watch hobbies, because i expect cars as our passion will win hands down. Now i accept watches are lovely as self aggrandisement, take @BondandBigM in his LV or @WRENCH in his wostock, or indeed Rog, in his lovely spork.

But i wager when it comes down to it even @kevkojak would take a nice motor over his grail. I'm sure @scottswatches would. I don't blame you if you find reason to disagree with me, but can you really give a sustained argument saying you prefer a watch to a car.

Ok i'm not talking ordinary cars, im talking classics or desirable moderns. Yes of course i'd rather have Bonds LV over Rogers Kia. But pitting like for like would you really have a Patek over an E Type? Or a Rolex from 1985 even if it is a comex over a 3.0 CSL. I bet even @BlueKnight would have the beemer and in his case unrestricted to Rolex.

Come on car v watch in this vein...

 Image result for jag e type series 1

or

Related image

Image result for bmw m3 csl and 3.0 csl

m3 csl or csl v? Ok I know the batmobile is worth several times the watch...so it should be, but i'm not asking you to spend your own money. I'm asking you would you really be content with the watch on your wrist if someone was handing you the key to the CSL for free? Would you really rather be sat there looking at the watch than tearing round your favourite country road? I know @Igerswis is with me?

Image result for rolex comex

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people far wealthier than I could have both.

I have paid more for a watch than my current car on a couple of occasions.

If I lived in London, with no garage and no great need for a car, I'd take the Patek over the E Type

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell no. I want one of them Peterbuilt 379's with more gears than I have teeth, and a turbo that makes the ladies hollar.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting fact; I am a member of four or five watch forums and no car forums.

Yes I love my cars but that's just for me, I don't feel the need to read up, learn, help others - I'm happy just to drive them.

To be honest I am getting less and less enjoyment from driving now, too many idiots on the roads and ridiculously overcrowded. I see my car the same way I see my phone - a necessary tool. If I can get away with catching the train now then I leave the car at home (I'll drive the few miles to Bolton or Wigan, but not to Manchester. Cheaper and quicker on the train).

I bought a Merc C180 a couple of weeks ago for less than a grand and it's fitting the bill nicely. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it depends on where I am. Being in the UK I went against the typical Asian mentality and wanted my cars to be fairly discreet. Nothing like these Bradford or Birmingham rudeboys with their flashy cars parked outside some self made Asian ghetto area terraced houses lol. That's why I went for a reasonable car and a load of expensive watches.

In Thailand I loved having the GTR's as status and wealth here amounts to power. There's also a lot of respect for other people's possessions here. I've never been scared of anything happening to the cars unlike in the UK where you have jealous chavs or even stupid self centered people in shopping centre car parks.

All I know is that if the GTR sells I'll be getting a cheaper car and blowing a load on a watch at the same time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nigelp said:

It was @Roger the Dodger made me think of this as a thread and ive entered it in non-watch hobbies, because i expect cars as our passion will win hands down. Now i accept watches are lovely as self aggrandisement, take @BondandBigM in his LV or @WRENCH in his wostock, or indeed Rog, in his lovely spork.

But i wager when it comes down to it even @kevkojak would take a nice motor over his grail. I'm sure @scottswatches would. I don't blame you if you find reason to disagree with me, but can you really give a sustained argument saying you prefer a watch to a car.

Ok i'm not talking ordinary cars, im talking classics or desirable moderns. Yes of course i'd rather have Bonds LV over Rogers Kia. But pitting like for like would you really have a Patek over an E Type? Or a Rolex from 1985 even if it is a comex over a 3.0 CSL. I bet even @BlueKnight would have the beemer and in his case unrestricted to Rolex.

Come on car v watch in this vein...

 Image result for jag e type series 1

or

Related image

 

 

If I could afford that E Type then I could probably afford the Patex to go with it - what a combination. :thumbs_up:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kevkojak said:

Interesting fact; I am a member of four or five watch forums and no car forums.

Yes I love my cars but that's just for me, I don't feel the need to read up, learn, help others - I'm happy just to drive them.

To be honest I am getting less and less enjoyment from driving now, too many idiots on the roads and ridiculously overcrowded. I see my car the same way I see my phone - a necessary tool. If I can get away with catching the train now then I leave the car at home (I'll drive the few miles to Bolton or Wigan, but not to Manchester. Cheaper and quicker on the train).

I bought a Merc C180 a couple of weeks ago for less than a grand and it's fitting the bill nicely. 

to be fair you sound like i did when i left Burnley i was sick of the Burnley Blackburn commute to the hospital for work and at that stage i was getting bored of driving too, i was still enjoying the odd blast into the Yorkshire Dales, but generally cars and driving were peeing me off. The roads are much quieter in Snowdonia and Anglesey, so thats what reignited the car passion for me. On top of that cars are so cheap now for really interesting ones. But i know how the daily grind in towns becomes hassle. To be honest apart from my threads on here i dont contribute to any car forums either, because overall as a subject of discussion they are more mundane than watches.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Igerswis said:

For me it depends on where I am. Being in the UK I went against the typical Asian mentality and wanted my cars to be fairly discreet. Nothing like these Bradford or Birmingham rudeboys with their flashy cars parked outside some self made Asian ghetto area terraced houses lol. That's why I went for a reasonable car and a load of expensive watches.

In Thailand I loved having the GTR's as status and wealth here amounts to power. There's also a lot of respect for other people's possessions here. I've never been scared of anything happening to the cars unlike in the UK where you have jealous chavs or even stupid self centered people in shopping centre car parks.

All I know is that if the GTR sells I'll be getting a cheaper car and blowing a load on a watch at the same time!

To be fair you have very good taste in cars! I've never paid a lot for a car the most was about 9 grand for a 1991 Porsche 928s4 back in 2004, in polar silver which was in superb condition and one i should have kept. In fact its probably the best car ive ever had. It was the late s4, so had a lot of GTS upgrades. Only had 89k on the clock and full porsche history. I sold it for what id paid and bought a Jag which was stupid of me. The least i've paid for a car was 500 quid for a Honda 3.0 v6 vtec coupe Accord. And in a lot of ways thats the most fun ive ever had with a car, it drove superbly and i loved it. I went to Walsall for that and bought it off an Asian lad who had a garage in the sort of area you mention. He really knew his stuff, he also had a 1960s MK2 Jag has his daily driver along with a Cortina 1600e which was his dads. The garage was an alladins cave with all sorts of classic and semi classic cars. All fenced off in an old filling station down a terraced street in Walsall. There were a lot of M3 e46 BMW  convertibles about with big wheels and blacked out windows. But you are right about the UK even back in the 80's my dad was getting arials broken off his Jags and when i took my bmw 635 to uni someone jumped off the roof onto the bonnet! 

The thing is in the uk you can have more or less any car you want BMW M, Merc AMG, (Audi RS even for a tad more than) for less than the price of a Rolex sub. Not to mention Porsche. Even Maserati. 

an m3 smg for less than 7 grand. On the trader. 

7bd716cd0d6643df99347d42d0d81bde.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scottswatches said:

A lot of people far wealthier than I could have both.

I have paid more for a watch than my current car on a couple of occasions.

If I lived in London, with no garage and no great need for a car, I'd take the Patek over the E Type

I live in London, have no garage and no great need for a car, but I'd have the E-Type.

On the other hand, if I lived in Moscow, had no garage and no great need for a car, I'd take a Vostok over a Moskvitch any day!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a car with a free clock but will struggle to get a watch with a free car!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think to be fair cars are edging this competition and knocking watches into second place in our affections, the car may be hated for some of the things it does or taken for granted, but when it comes to one of the last freedoms we can enjoy and pour massively flammable liquids into and tear off for the day where ever we want, after a roof over our heads and our loved ones, whatever you've got parked outside, whatever set of wheels it is even if its only a push bike like @WRENCH in reality you probably have a greater need and affection for it than the watch on your wrist. That means of mobility will always take paramount importance to telling the time or looking good.  

even more important than oil on @BondandBigM's shirt of @WRENCH's chain when he takes his bike on the train...Best get that 911, Mr Bond and avoid public transport it can't be fun can it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you gave me £20K and the choice I'd probably end up where I am now with (imo) a fairly nice car and a few nice watches. If you put a gun to my head, then I could probably  live with one decent watch and a nicer car :laugh:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

The roads are much quieter in Snowdonia and Anglesey, so thats what reignited the car passion for me.

Summer is coming (feels as if it's here) and that will bring lines of caravans etc to spoil your fun. :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that questions of security and available space are very relevant to this question of choosing between a fine car or a fine watch. I do like cars but there is no way I could fit a second car outside our terraced house - the parking is already a nightmare - and a classic car parked on our road might attract vandalism or theft. Oh, and by the way, I don't drive.:laugh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nigelp said:

I bet even @BlueKnight would have the beemer and in his case unrestricted to Rolex.

@Nigelp  Thanks for the mention and you would be right. I'll take a Bimmer and/or a Beemer over any watch.  :yes:

 

9.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lucky to have a garage for theses two & enough room to work on them, theses were & always are my first love , had the Cortina longer than the wife and guess which one would go first if I had to give one up, ( and she knows it!:laugh:)watches come a close 2 nd to the bikes but are realistically in 3rd place, but the wife runs them all a close 4 th,.
deano

XNe8bQe.jpg

WaxdU1L.jpg

FHCPgji.jpg

 

Qk3H6QO.jpg

 she a good un really nobody else would put up with me for sure  :laugh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter to me. Had a load of classic/desirable bikes, enjoyed them while I had them, once the "classic brigade" takes over, I lose interest pretty quick. Couldn't care less about four wheels, or any  imaginary status attached. My neighbour is £530/month before turning a wheel, but I suppose it must look better than taking the bus 2 miles to work. :laughing2dw: only thing better than a watch ? This.

1631af4e9a58b22e79b8a008d3072db9.jpg

but then I wouldn't use it, so one of these,

b67557c0a0d38efc31542e4dbdbb86ea.jpg

which I would use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nigelp said:

I think to be fair cars are edging this competition and knocking watches into second place in our affections,

I think that you desperately want that to be the case Nigel, but at the end of the day it's still a watch forum.  

I like you very much Nige but you're sounding like a stuck record now. Still, at least the car *****  stuff isn't spilling over into Watch Talk these days so small mercies.

Are the two topics really that comparable anyway?  I mean, what do we like best, our watches or our houses?   Probably houses...the two aren't the same category though.  :laughing2dw:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

I think that you desperately want that to be the case Nigel, but at the end of the day it's still a watch forum.  

I like you very much Nige but you're sounding like a stuck record now. Still, at least the car *****  stuff isn't spilling over into Watch Talk these days so small mercies.

Are the two topics really that comparable anyway?  I mean, what do we like best, our watches or our houses?   Probably houses...the two aren't the same category though.  :laughing2dw:

sorry kev:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nigelp said:

WRENCH in his wostock

Interesting. Something I learned from my granddad. Have something serviceable and "shabby" for day to day, but have the "best" for your own pleasure, and don't shout about it. Works well. I've nothing to prove. :thumbsup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richy176 said:

Summer is coming (feels as if it's here) and that will bring lines of caravans etc to spoil your fun. :(

theres one road out the back of colwyn bay opens up north wales and no one knows it apart from the odd farmer. Takes you right through snowdonia and onto anglesey. 

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Interesting. Something I learned from my granddad. Have something serviceable and "shabby" for day to day, but have the "best" for your own pleasure, and don't shout about it. Works well. I've nothing to prove. :thumbsup:

you are like me you really are. 

3 hours ago, BlueKnight said:

@Nigelp  Thanks for the mention and you would be right. I'll take a Bimmer and/or a Beemer over any watch.  :yes:

 

9.jpg

 

case rested. 

2 hours ago, deano1956 said:

lucky to have a garage for theses two & enough room to work on them, theses were & always are my first love , had the Cortina longer than the wife and guess which one would go first if I had to give one up, ( and she knows it!:laugh:)watches come a close 2 nd to the bikes but are realistically in 3rd place, but the wife runs them all a close 4 th,.

so that proves it, @BlueKnight supported by an expert witness, cars win in our hearts. 

And bikes win over watches too! @WRENCH

@BondandBigM is keeping quiet because he knows now his LV is worth as much as a 911, he wants the 911 more than the watch. 

Edited by Nigelp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

you are like me you really are. 

Off you go across the desert on one of these then.

007_13.jpg

89746fec1a9b2ca082e19621c2d37a8f.jpg

You can get 9 gallons in some of those big tanks. A 1000mile "day" gives you a sore @r$r, and some of the police in these far flung lands, might like you a bit too much. Give it a go. Don't believe these "superstar" telly programs . It's a laugh. My mates been to India and back 4 times, I think he had a puncture, this sort of stuff is worth more than the price of any watch. You cant buy it. Check out some of the banger charity runs. My mate did the Silk road, or something, in a £150 Hyundi Stellar.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

sorry kev:(

You don't ever have to apologise to me Nigel.

By the way, which do you prefer; vital organs or watches?  I suspect hearts and brains and kidneys might "win" that one as well. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now then... Cats, or cheese?   :teethsmile:

By the way which side of Colwyn are you? I'm visiting my auntie in a few weeks, she's about a two minute walk from The Marine pub/hotel. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nigelp said:

theres one road out the back of colwyn bay opens up north wales and no one knows it apart from the odd farmer. Takes you right through snowdonia and onto anglesey. 

you are like me you really are. 

case rested. 

so that proves it, @BlueKnight supported by an expert witness, cars win in our hearts. 

And bikes win over watches too! @WRENCH

@BondandBigM is keeping quiet because he knows now his LV is worth as much as a 911, he wants the 911 more than the watch. 

Correct it's the one motor that has eluded me, I've looked a few over the years that I could have bought but back then I was more into American stuff and twice I went for a Corvette instead. 

I could sell the LV and buy a reasonably priced 996 but these days other than wasting a ton of money on clothes we have a new hobby. 

:biggrin:

46897539875_d4445d8fc2_b.jpg46897539535_5b1fc10a12_b.jpg2019-05-04_01-16-16

And Big M officially retires later this year so the LV will most likely go into topping up the Fun in Sun pot. 

I'm happy with the Beemer

47652449521_e0aba69ed3_b.jpg

 

:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Correct it's the one motor that has eluded me, I've looked a few over the years that I could have bought but back then I was more into American stuff and twice I went for a Corvette instead. 

I could sell the LV and buy a reasonably priced 996 but these days other than wasting a ton of money on clothes we have a new hobby. 

:biggrin:

46897539875_d4445d8fc2_b.jpg46897539535_5b1fc10a12_b.jpg2019-05-04_01-16-16

And Big M officially retires later this year so the LV will most likely go into topping up the Fun in Sun pot. 

I'm happy with the Beemer

47652449521_e0aba69ed3_b.jpg

 

:)

you do right, like you say why sell the beemer they are fantastic cars with the 2.5 petrol, e46 is a gem, if youve got one as clean as yours with no rust they are getting rare and sought after, when my 330 got totalled a quick scan of the trader revealed that 2.5 and 3 litre petrols in good nick are at least £2,500, which these days is quiet a pricey old car, i'm not surprised though because there is always a lot of love for BMW's and the e46 is very well liked from what i read on the net and with rust diminishing numbers as well as cars getting written off as values drop a good one is worth hanging onto. If mine had been a 330i and not d and hadnt been full of filler in the back arches and with iffy jacking points on the nearside i may have been tempted to salvage it. But im done with diesels and id had enough patching it up, the rear arches were going to be a biggish and expensive job. There was a not insignificant amount of rust hiding in the panel just above the back bumper which had already been filled and i touched it up a bit last year, but that was going to be a bumper off and plating job soon....the more you dig...

I don't blame you, much better to spend your time by the pool with a beer instead of having a load of cash tied up in a car that sits in the garage or outside the house most of the time, i guess we've both bee there and done that one many times! Its a mugs game. I got fed up of helping keep so called specialist garages in business for fixing stupidly complex cars that were getting old and inevitably going wrong, whatever you do and however good a condition they are in you just cant stop the deterioration both bodily and mechanically with age.

In all honesty i wouldnt sell the LV and buy a 911 i'd keep the watch, which brings me back to your first point ie i'd do what youve done, keep the watch forget the 911 and buy a BM or GTI or something that wont cost a fortune if it does go wrong so in that sense you are already there all done and dusted. These old cars that cost a lot new are just money eating monsters anyone with experience of ownership knows that, I certainly do. I started of with the BMW 635 when i was 18, bought a v12 xjs when i was 22 and a further 5 jags before i was 30, moving onto Porsche and owning 2 928's by the time i was 33. With 5 mercedes owned recently including the 3 CL's and the 387bhp s550 a few years with those and even if nothing goes wrong, during the ownership period which was the case with mine, you still have nagging doubts that something big and costly could go wrong at any time. And who wants to throw 6 grand fixing the suspension on a 4 grand car? You'd have to be crackers. Im with you Bond by the pool with a cold pint of beer.

 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...