• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Gnomon

My new sundial watch series UMBRA - need your opinion!

Dear friends and watch enthusiasts, hi again!

It's John from Solar Lab. Some time ago I and launched my own first limited wristwatch collection called Gnomon - the sundial-inspired one-handers. For the present moment the whole collection is fully sold out, so this moderate success inspired me to continue on my path of watchmaking. Now I’m working on the new series, created the first prototypes for the new watch and once again would like to hear your opinion.

The second watch is called UMBRA (means “shadow” in Latin), and in it I develop the basic features of the concept further. The watch has a single hand that refers to sundial’s gnomon (hand that casts shadow). Now it stands still, leaving a disc with Roman numerals to rotate for indicating the time. The overall design reveals the disc only partly, referring to the light cycle depiction of actual Roman sundials. The color ways are a nod to the famous sundial structures of the Past and common building and smithing materials from the ancient times.

The exhibition case back is decorated with a signature zodiac engraving. I’ll be sticking with the automatic Miyota movement again, but decided to replace old straps with cool Horween leather-made. Here are some photos:

FyMwco0.jpg

EKutaU0.jpg

HOnE4wa.jpg

gq4KzKr.jpg

2vaZUZ3.jpg

SegWVpa.jpg

zYFdXuy.jpg

lSo4iIX.jpg

• Like 1

May I echo the sentiments expressed here above by my colleagues bridgeman and KAS118. I think that you have given us a new twist in the design of watches, and brought new life to the single-hand wristwatch. I wish you all the best with this venture.:)

• Like 1

Yep, agreed!  Interesting looking watches.

Just pop a grey one & a black one in the post to me.  I'll "put em through the ringer" and then give you feedback on functionality, durability etc.   :yes:

I really like the concept, however, the 5 divisions between each number would make each one 12 minutes...a bit odd for a one handed or 'regulator' styled watch. Most have either 4 divisions to read to the nearest 15 minutes or more commonly, 12 divisions enabling the time to be read to the nearest 5 minutes. Having said that, I still think the idea is good. :thumbsup:

Looks gorgeous!

Not my style really, but I like that a lot. Markers feel sliiightly cramped, but the rest is lovely.

Edited by ry ry