• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
novatron1_2

Tissot G10 V8 battery replacement

The battery needs changing in my Tissot G10 V8. I asked for a price at Ernest Jones and was told £51 (for a button cell!). I also tried to get a price from Just in Time but after taking all my details they never bothered getting back to me.

I normally change the batteries in my own and other people's watches with no problems, however I tried to remove the back with my case knife and it didn't seem to want to budge. I did some googling and some people are saying the back is held on so tight as the watch is assembled in a vacuum and you need to do the same when changing the battery otherwise the back will always be loose. On the other hand I've seen youtube videos when people just remove the back with a case knife.

I would ideally like to change it myself both to save money and to make sure it's not damaged (I had another watch damaged by a jeweler changing a battery who later denied it).

Should I invest in a more expensive case knife, I'm just using the one I got in a cheap set of watch tools from amazon. Is there any hints anyone can offer me for getting the back off, is it really held on with vacuum?

7 minutes ago, novatron1_2 said:

some people are saying the back is held on so tight as the watch is assembled in a vacuum and you need to do the same when changing the battery otherwise the back will always be loose

This ^ is almost certainly BS.  If it's a screw-down case back, you should try holding the watch and the 3 pronged tool tightly together with your thumb against the crystal (i.e. With the tool and watch in the same hand), and turn the watch with your other hand, instead of trying to turn the tool.  This works for me every time, no matter how tight the case back is put on, and is less lightly to slip and scratch the case back.  You will find it easier if the bracelet or strap is removed as well.

Good luck anyway mate, I think a price of £51 for a battery change is just daft so you are right to do it yourself.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think the V8 is a screw back! It should come off with your case knife, it may be just very tight! £51 is just ridiculous.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, novatron1_2 said:

The battery needs changing in my Tissot G10 V8. I asked for a price at Ernest Jones and was told £51 (for a button cell!). I also tried to get a price from Just in Time but after taking all my details they never bothered getting back to me.

I normally change the batteries in my own and other people's watches with no problems, however I tried to remove the back with my case knife and it didn't seem to want to budge. I did some googling and some people are saying the back is held on so tight as the watch is assembled in a vacuum and you need to do the same when changing the battery otherwise the back will always be loose. On the other hand I've seen youtube videos when people just remove the back with a case knife.

I would ideally like to change it myself both to save money and to make sure it's not damaged (I had another watch damaged by a jeweler changing a battery who later denied it).

Should I invest in a more expensive case knife, I'm just using the one I got in a cheap set of watch tools from amazon. Is there any hints anyone can offer me for getting the back off, is it really held on with vacuum?

28 minutes ago, Davey P said:

This ^ is almost certainly BS.  If it's a screw-down case back, you should try holding the watch and the 3 pronged tool tightly together with your thumb against the crystal (i.e. With the tool and watch in the same hand), and turn the watch with your other hand, instead of trying to turn the tool.  This works for me every time, no matter how tight the case back is put on, and is less lightly to slip and scratch the case back.  You will find it easier if the bracelet or strap is removed as well.

Good luck anyway mate, I think a price of £51 for a battery change is just daft so you are right to do it yourself.

with some of the newer watches,  it id hard to tell if it is "pop off" or screw back.  AND;  with cheep watches, its a matter of poor machining.    vin

Thanks for the replies guys, there's no marks on the case apart from a small lip for the case knife. I'm glad the vac bit is BS I did wonder about this and how on earth it could hold a constant vacuum.

I think I'll order myself a better quality case knife and try again. 

10 minutes ago, novatron1_2 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, there's no marks on the case apart from a small lip for the case knife. I'm glad the vac bit is BS I did wonder about this and how on earth it could hold a constant vacuum.

I think I'll order myself a better quality case knife and try again. 

I use this type and it’s never let me down Ever , not expensive in fact really cheap but I’d advise the narrower blade like this one and keep it filed down and sharp. 

40889051593_7051446caa_b.jpg

This video might help 

Edited by andyclient
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, novatron1_2 said:

Not that I would ever recommend Timpsons for anything other than perhaps re-heeling a cheap shoe ,,, but they only charge £15 for that !!

Worth mentioning, if you haven't already got one, you will need one of these bad boys to refit the case back:

20151125_165236

Not expensive, I think mine was about 12 quid from ebay, but they are brilliant for pressing on tight fitting case backs.  Just make sure the die at the bottom doesn't press on the glass, it needs to fit outside and press on the metal part of the case  :thumbsup:

Nearly as bad as the Eastern European girl who tried to charge me £21 in Amsterdam   :whistle:

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, novatron1_2 said:

The battery needs changing in my Tissot G10 V8. I asked for a price at Ernest Jones and was told £51 (for a button cell!). 

Ouch :swoon:

19 hours ago, andyclient said:

I use this type and it’s never let me down Ever , not expensive in fact really cheap but I’d advise the narrower blade like this one and keep it filed down and sharp. 

40889051593_7051446caa_b.jpg

Thanks, that looks just like the one I've ordered off ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-YELLOW-Watch-Back-Case-Opener-Remover-Remove-Removal-Knife-Repair-Tool/401750155260?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

19 hours ago, Davey P said:

Worth mentioning, if you haven't already got one, you will need one of these bad boys to refit the case back:

20151125_165236

Not expensive, I think mine was about 12 quid from ebay, but they are brilliant for pressing on tight fitting case backs.  Just make sure the die at the bottom doesn't press on the glass, it needs to fit outside and press on the metal part of the case  :thumbsup:

I would quite like one of these but all my other watches are screw back so I would only be using it for one watch. I was thinking of trying the method this guy describes:

https://youtu.be/6jmEaXrZVOs?t=463

Or do you think it will lead to sudden glass death?

Edited by novatron1_2

4 minutes ago, novatron1_2 said:

I would quite like one of these but all my other watches are screw back so I would only be using it for one watch. I was thinking of trying the method this guy describes:

https://youtu.be/6jmEaXrZVOs

Or do you think it will lead to sudden glass death?

Not worth the risk IMHO, using a big lump of wood as a case closer is a recipe for disaster and is likely to end badly... :(  The same can be said for using a G-Clamp (ask me how I know that! :laughing2dw:) or any other tool that's not designed for the job.  It's not a big investment to get the correct tool, and will last a lifetime.

When I bought my case back closer I only had one "pop-on" type watch in my collection as well (a Bulova Precisionist) but I still bought the correct tool, because it worked out much cheaper than getting a battery fitted just one time at a jeweller's shop.  To me, it was a no-brainer.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Davey P said:

Not worth the risk IMHO, using a big lump of wood as a case closer is a recipe for disaster and is likely to end badly... :(  The same can be said for using a G-Clamp (ask me how I know that! :laughing2dw:) or any other tool that's not designed for the job.  It's not a big investment to get the correct tool, and will last a lifetime.

When I bought my case back closer I only had one "pop-on" type watch in my collection as well (a Bulova Precisionist) but I still bought the correct tool, because it worked out much cheaper than getting a battery fitted just one time at a jeweller's shop.  To me, it was a no-brainer.

Ok thanks for the advice, I’ve now ordered a case back tool as well. Like you say it’s not worth the risk and I know I’d be pretty angry with myself if I cracked the Crystal for the sake of a £10 tool.