• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Lug

Kirovskie Saucepan watch with gun engraving to rear 1940!

Here's another interesting watch I just picked up, a Kirovskie saucepan, sadly not running at the moment. It has a pretty neat engraving on the case back dated 1940 - anyone read Russian!?

IMG_2565.JPEG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

• Like 3

the pistol is a Tokerev,  must be a reward for target shooting. around the 50's.

• Like 2

What an interesting watch, dear Lug. That must be the earliest Russian/Soviet wristwatch I have seen to date, made extra interesting by the engraving on the caseback. The engraving itself looks as if it might have been executed by an enthusiastic amateur. I wonder what form of gun controls were in force in the Soviet Union at the time of that watch?:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

What an interesting watch, dear Lug. That must be the earliest Russian/Soviet wristwatch I have seen to date, made extra interesting by the engraving on the caseback. The engraving itself looks as if it might have been executed by an enthusiastic amateur. I wonder what form of gun controls were in force in the Soviet Union at the time of that watch?:)

Yes, one can only wonder at that! - its currently on an auction site at the minute if you fancy a bid :whistle:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

gun controls,  in the late 40's,  did not exist in Russa if you had money or not a  member of the wrong party.  German Lugars were quite popular then.  vin

popular

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, martinzx said:

It translates "For excellent pistol shooting"

Cheers Martin :) 

Thanks Martin, lets hope it was just a paper target!

• Haha 1

Wiki has a section on Red Army awards. It seems they have a badge of Excellence for absolutely every trade in the army, Tank drivers, tractor drivers, sharpshooters and right down to bakers and boy scouts.

The inscription on your watch is the same as on their badge of excellence for shooters which was first issued in 1942. Nothing definitive of course, may be just coincidence.