• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
watchbuyer

Thoughts on Gucci automatic watch as first watch?

1 hour ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Last change of the day

Ummm, wrong thread ha ha ha

25 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

"record" series of chronometers...

Obviously I am never going to buy another watch, but I do keep putting 'chronometer' into the eBay search box :biggrin:

• Haha 1

So after deliberation, I'm stuck between a Rado Centrix Automatic with diamonds black/silver, or the Oris Artelier Date black/silver.

Feel like I've come a long way from Gucci!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, watchbuyer said:

How does Rado compare to them are they good quality watches or not in the same league?

Yep.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoT said:

Longines Hydroconquest

Great value for money at a RRP of £1160 )although you can usually find them cheaper than that)

https://www.longines.co.uk/watch-hydroconquest-l3-781-4-76-6

This new version in "sunray grey"  has a nice young look to it

longines-hydroconquest-l3-781-4-76-6-350

I'm waiting to buy that exact watch in 41mm. it's nice, but very different to the other watches OP linked, wears large too.

2 hours ago, watchbuyer said:

So after deliberation, I'm stuck between a Rado Centrix Automatic with diamonds black/silver, or the Oris Artelier Date black/silver.

Feel like I've come a long way from Gucci!

Awesome! Next step: Find a jewellers that sells them and try each of them on.

You'd be suprised how different watches can be in the flesh - some look larger on the wrist than you'd think, some are particularly lusterous in real life... definitely worth taking the time to a get a feel for what you're about to drop a bunch of cash on. Plus the whole experience is kinda fun. Make a day of it.

Edited by ry ry

You know, I don't know if anyone actually answered your question.

Yes, the watch is a fine quality watch. It's Swiss made with a decent Swiss movement. It's overpriced and looks like absolute trash, but it's your money and wrist that will be wearing it.

So put simply, yes it's a fine watch that should last you just fine. I will still recommend many many many other options, almost any, but given your taste I wouldn't like anything you chose, personally. What about Movado? Recognizable name quality stuff.

4 hours ago, JayDeep said:

You know, I don't know if anyone actually answered your question.

Yes, the watch is a fine quality watch. It's Swiss made with a decent Swiss movement. It's overpriced and looks like absolute trash, but it's your money and wrist that will be wearing it.

So put simply, yes it's a fine watch that should last you just fine. I will still recommend many many many other options, almost any, but given your taste I wouldn't like anything you chose, personally. What about Movado? Recognizable name quality stuff.

I've definitely been swayed away from Gucci - with very reasonable explanations.

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/rado-centrix-men-s-automatic-diamond-dial-two-tone-bracelet-watch.html

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/oris-artelier-date-men-s-automatic-stainless-steel-watch.html

The above are the two watches I'm now deliberating between. Not sure how they match your taste!

Jay's taste is.... variable!

I adore the dial on that Oris tbh. Their watches are high quality too. Sadly I know basically nothing about Rado watches - somebody on here will likely have a couple.

Normally I hit up YouTube for some reviews or unboxing vids after I've got a shortlist in mind.

Edited by ry ry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, watchbuyer said:

I've definitely been swayed away from Gucci - with very reasonable explanations.

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/rado-centrix-men-s-automatic-diamond-dial-two-tone-bracelet-watch.html

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/oris-artelier-date-men-s-automatic-stainless-steel-watch.html

The above are the two watches I'm now deliberating between. Not sure how they match your taste!

This Oris is closer to your Original Gucci ... and nicer IMO than the Oris above .... and cheap as chips with this sale price !!!

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/oris-mens-artelier-small-second-pointer-day-automatic-watch-01745766640510782377-p23636

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 3

From the 2 in your shortlist, I'd go for the Oris everyday. I do however prefer the Oris @JonnyOldBoy has linked and that would save you a bit of cash too :thumbsup:

Edited by Matthew999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, watchbuyer said:

My opinion, for what it's worth, is the Oris has got more wrist presence than the Rado, and looks nicer (Note: I don't have any 1st hand experience of either makes, or indeed automatic watches in general).  However, I can't help feeling you can get an equally nice looking Seiko 5 for 1/10th of the price...  As always though, it is entirely down to your personal taste, and I don't think you will go far wrong with any Rado or Oris watches in terms of quality.

• Like 1

Something about the diamonds and modern style of the Rado really appeal to me but equally the Oris is great. I think it will be a case of trying them both on! I definitely feel like a black face or navy blue will be my choice whatever I go for.

Really appreciate all the comments by the way!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

Something about the diamonds and modern style of the Rado really appeal to me but equally the Oris is great. I think it will be a case of trying them both on! I definitely feel like a black face or navy blue will be my choice whatever I go for.

I can get with your program, whilst that particular Gucci isn't to my tastes these days they are nice watches, well made and a quality finish, mine is nearly 25 years old and still tickety boo, forget what some of the blinkered old duffers here say. They are easily the equal if not better than some mentioned in this thread. 

:biggrin:

47828046122_24032c44c0_b.jpg

Gucci and a decent shirt or a Beaverbrook sale special and Next shirts. 

You pays your money and all that

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

5 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

Now how do we feel about this?!

0108114-0-ProductXRetina?context=bWFzdGV

Rado watches sometimes underwhelm in the flesh whey trying on...

Getting back to your original Gucci for a moment... it did have a "touch of the Engineer" about it and a certain quirky charm so I would not pay too much attention to those who are slaughtering it after all many here love the Moonwatch by Omega but every non-watch-enthusiast I have shown those to deride them , often being referred to "as looking like a watch a 5 year old would design" , so its horses for courses and I would not personally gravitate to the Gucci , but it does have a certain charm for me. Back to your current choices..... Oris all the way , or try on a Longines Hydroconquest is my advice....

3 hours ago, watchbuyer said:

I think it will be a case of trying them both on!

Yes, this, always, where you can. I'm very confident that once you've seen each on your wrist you'll know the right choice.

• Like 1

Also , another to throw into the mix .... this is a superior watch .... with a year's Guarantee , it's a chronometer , and he would accept £1700 for it .... Its almost as new pre owned but I would take a look at these to compare , they also come in a dark gunmetal brown in this style and the version before it has the date at 3 o clock and is available in black, white and silver ... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-SPEEDMASTER-DATE-323-10-40-40-02-001-BOX-MANUAL-1-YEAR-GTEE-/123748674394?hash=item1ccffeeb5a

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1

Seems to me the OP wants something a little 'blingy'. I like the Rado D Star and have considered them.

They come in quite a few colour variations, and have a certain individuality about them, what with the slightly oval bezel.

Nothing wrong with the Gucci. But a huge amount of money for such a watch imho. As rhe chaps here have already pointed out, you'll lose a ton of money on it if you want to sell it on. If you want the Gucci name then it's worth the dosh I guess3f1e34d65c63f6ed8e30b65405bfb5fb.jpg5259d1ef11a35aa5784645610cb38c7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 17:53, JonnyOldBoy said:

Also , another to throw into the mix .... this is a superior watch .... with a year's Guarantee , it's a chronometer , and he would accept £1700 for it .... Its almost as new pre owned but I would take a look at these to compare , they also come in a dark gunmetal brown in this style and the version before it has the date at 3 o clock and is available in black, white and silver ... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-SPEEDMASTER-DATE-323-10-40-40-02-001-BOX-MANUAL-1-YEAR-GTEE-/123748674394?hash=item1ccffeeb5a

No doubt that you'll know a bloke that has a mate that knows a bloke who will tell me otherwise but to me that just looks like a cut price Daytona rip off.

As far away from the OP's original choice Gucci as you can get and about £500 quid over budget.

Don't suppose by any chance the seller is one of your imaginary mates

:whistle:

Feel free to call me an old cynic if you like

:biggrin:

Quit an interesting post this.The " argument " about the watch being too expensive for having a 2824 movement doesn't really wash (see Tudor, and a host of others). As to the aesthetics, thats personal taste. Quality ? I've never handled one, so I can't comment. What the problem here is methinks, is the name on the dial, fashion brand on a watch ? How dare anyone else do a "Cartier". :laughing2dw: loose money ? if only I hadn't drunk all that alcohol over the years, most enjoyable, but I can't get my money back on that, can I ? :thumbsup:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

but to me that just looks like a cut price Daytona rip off.

Feel free to call me an old cynic if you like

I won't call you an old cynic... its hard to be cynical about something you know very little about....It's an Omega Speedmaster which actually predates the Rolex daytona. 

The Rolex Daytona was introduced in 1963 , the Omega Speedmaster was introduced in 1957.

Even with your cocktail addled senses you should be able to deconstruct the enormous error in your analysis.... Time and dates work FORWARDS .. not BACKWARDS ... 

[ see what I did there ]

:laugh:

What's the £1300 magic number? There are plenty of nice watches around that you could pocket a chunk of change from that budget. Think what you want and look around. We all have our own preference for style and generally speaking the mechanics in a watch of that price are going to be very good.

@watchbuyer I have actually seen the Gucci watch you first posted today in the flesh at a dealer near me ( by chance ) and to be honest , there is something about them.... I really thought it was an impressive watch and may I ask if you have seen one up close and personal ?, because they are ( albeit not quite to my tastes ... ) decently made and visually impressive watches. Also the time is easy to read because the hands do reflect differently against the dial.

Also ( regardless of Forum Drunks [that wouldn't be able to identify an Omega with a giant NASA magnifying glass] and what they might randomly blurt ) it did really remind me a bit of Omega Speedies in silver... Not detail wise , but overall impact etc etc....

So thought I would pass my latest thoughts your way on this , especially since others impressions were less than favourable on your original watch , and to be honest I was the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

@watchbuyer ( regardless of Forum Drunks [that wouldn't be able to identify an Omega with a giant NASA magnifying glass] and what they might randomly blurt )

You rang?

• Haha 2

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:07, watchbuyer said:

Hi, I am quite new to this too! But I personally would not buy a watch with diamonds. Think about it! you are paying for them too. Yes you get bling but that bling means you probably get less of a quality movement and materials that go into making the watch. Personally I think that a good watch manufactures name on a watch says class better than diamonds  I agree with everyone who has commented about the Gucci. But its your hard earned dosh and your eyes. Buy the watch YOU say WOW to. I wouldn't worry to much about your friends I am sure that they will still be your friends what ever you put on your wrist! Take care.

• Like 1