• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
watchbuyer

Thoughts on Gucci automatic watch as first watch?

I'm looking at getting my first watch and just wanted some opinions. I'm quite young which is why Gucci is an appealing brand to me, especially as friends who know less about watches will recognise it. I know there are brands at a similar price range such as Longines, but I would rather save these for later watches if possible.

This watch is at the upper end of Gucci and I can get it for around £1300 new. It is Swiss made with automatic movement and a silver guilloché dial. My main question is - is this still a good quality watch of good materials and craftsmanship so that I'm not just paying for the brand? Is it a good purchase for the money as a first watch given my age?

https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/jewelry-watches/watches/for-men/eryx-watch-40mm-p-532538I16001402?position=2&listName=ProductGrid&categoryPath=Jewelry-Watches/Watches/For-Men

532538_I1600_1402_001_100_0000_Light-Ery

You are paying a premium for a brand that, in watches anyway, doesn't command a premium.  Plus the design is poor - the hands are difficult to see.  I wouldn't pay a premium for Rolex branded clothes, as it isn't what Rolex are known for.

If you are buying it to impress friends that are not interested in watches then that doesn't make sense.

If you want to spend £1300 then look at Oris, Longines, Nomos etc for new watches.  The Gucci will be the same as burning cash.

If you wanted to buy a name that will impress both your friends and people who love watches then look used from a reputable source.  Then buy a Breitling, Omega, Zenith, Grand Seiko etc 

• Like 7

£1300.00 is a good chunk of cash,I think you could do much better than that one.

• Like 1

They're quite open about the movement being either an ETA 2824-2 or a Selita SW200-1

https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/jewelry-watches/watches/for-men/eryx-watch-40mm-p-532538I16001402?position=9&listName=ProductGrid&categoryPath=Jewelry-Watches/Watches/For-Men

They bought Severin-Montres in 1997, who had previously manufacured their watches under license.

So, probably not badly made, but using generic movements. £1,300 is probably a little overpriced for what you get, and it'll be worth a lot less the moment you buy it, but that's the case for most watches.

If you like it, don't listen to us.

Edited by longplay
  • Like 3

As others have said, if you like it, buy it, having said that, what about a Tag Heuer for a decent watch that even non-watch people recognise?

Or buy a cheaper quartz fashion brand to impress and spend the rest on a nice Longines, Oris, Certina etc.

11 minutes ago, Rab said:

Or buy a cheaper quartz fashion brand to impress

This.

Or a second hand Gucci off ebay.

You're buying a piece of jewellery rather than a watch, I think, and if you like it, why not ?

Second hand / vintage Omega is well within reach of that budget. Similarly Tudor or even some vintage Rolex aren't too far off that.

But if you like it, as others have said, but it. BUT! I would suggest if at all possible trying one on before committing that kind of money

But this. Put it on a decent rubber strap and save a couple of hundred quid extra to buy the Omega bracelet. That is 100% what I’d do :yes:

2hge594.jpg

Just check out somewhere like Chrono24 and you’ll be surprised what you can get in your budget. 

Here’s another good option 

280hwz5.jpg

• Like 2

You need to decide if you want jewellery or a ‘good’ automatic watch. At that budget IMO it is a choice between one or the other.

If you buy that at £1300 and decide to sell I think you’d be lucky to get £300 back. Apart from anything else it is quite a ‘busy’ style. You’d have to be sure you really like the watch and want to keep it.

For similar money look at Tag Heuer which should have the same name recognition you want.

Don't buy to impress, now if you really like it then buy it.

Bear in mind that if you decide to move it on at some point you will lose a ton of money.

And as a personal opinion that is one of the worst Watches  I have ever seen, looks like one Gary Glitter would wear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Come on gentlemen, weren't we all young and "stupid" at one time. I'm old and stupid now. 

8 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

And as a personal opinion that is one of the worst Watches  I have ever seen, looks like one Gary Glitter would wear.

Trumped.

2824 movement £3k +, 

R04_005_O.jpeg?v=1433262447

For a few squid more you could get yourself a fabulous Tudor..... Made by Rolex.....  Better quality , better value , better aesthetics. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, watchbuyer said:

I'm looking at getting my first watch and just wanted some opinions. I'm quite young which is why Gucci is an appealing brand to me, especially as friends who know less about watches will recognise it. I know there are brands at a similar price range such as Longines, but I would rather save these for later watches if possible.

This watch is at the upper end of Gucci and I can get it for around £1300 new. It is Swiss made with automatic movement and a silver guilloché dial. My main question is - is this still a good quality watch of good materials and craftsmanship so that I'm not just paying for the brand? Is it a good purchase for the money as a first watch given my age?

https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/jewelry-watches/watches/for-men/eryx-watch-40mm-p-532538I16001402?position=2&listName=ProductGrid&categoryPath=Jewelry-Watches/Watches/For-Men

532538_I1600_1402_001_100_0000_Light-Ery

My thoughts: it's horrible, it has no redeeming features whatsoever, don't buy it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the comments everyone. In terms of design I do quite like it, maybe it's my youthfulness who knows! I completely get the idea of a being a fashion watch as opposed to a quality Swiss watch. I'm just trying to discern whether as a first watch the benefit of a brand I know well and like outweighs its lack of prowess as a watch.

The other brands I've seen watches within price I like are Rado and Longines. I don't know how these compare in terms of quality? As you can tell I'm new to watches but I'm hoping to get into it as I get older!

17 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

Thanks for all the comments everyone. In terms of design I do quite like it, maybe it's my youthfulness who knows! I completely get the idea of a being a fashion watch as opposed to a quality Swiss watch. I'm just trying to discern whether as a first watch the benefit of a brand I know well and like outweighs its lack of prowess as a watch.

The other brands I've seen watches within price I like are Rado and Longines. I don't know how these compare in terms of quality? As you can tell I'm new to watches but I'm hoping to get into it as I get older!

These are some ideas - 

rado-coupole-classic-steel-black-ceramic

0104803-0-ProductXRetina?context=bWFzdGV

0113943-0-ProductXRetina?context=bWFzdGV

• Like 1

Those last 3 are all much, much better watches from more respected brands.

But as the others said (albeit whilst slating your choice :D) buy what you like, not what a bunch of old blokes on the internet say.

I suspect those Gucci watches depreciate wildly thought, so have a look for used. You can always ask for advice on here wrt buying pre-owned, it can be a minefield tbh.

And I'm ***** at haggling, but I'm told you can often make a moderately offensive (-10, 20%) offer in a high street chain on some brands of you're not using finance....

Ps. That Gucci watch really is quite ugly ;P

Edited by ry ry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't do it. You can find better and still recognizable watches for less. Trust me!

If you want something impressive to younger groups go with Nixon even, before you go with Gucci.

• Like 1

From my experience I believe people who aren't really into watches, will recognise and appreciate an Armani watch as much as they would a Gucci one and you can get them at a tenth of the price of that Gucci (admittedly they will be quartz).

I think some of the above are great suggestions if you do decide on an alternative but anyway, good luck and let us know what you decide :thumbsup:

Edited by Matthew999
  • Like 1

You're all persuading me! So if not Gucci and I go with the recommendation of better brands - which brand is best?

Currently on my list of watches I like are Logines, Rado and Gucci. How do these compare?

29 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

You're all persuading me! So if not Gucci and I go with the recommendation of better brands - which brand is best?

Currently on my list of watches I like are Logines, Rado and Gucci. How do these compare?

Sorry that was meant to say Longines, Oris and Rado!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

Longines and Oris on Par I would say, No idea as to Rado as never handled any.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

Longines Hydroconquest

Great value for money at a RRP of £1160 )although you can usually find them cheaper than that)

https://www.longines.co.uk/watch-hydroconquest-l3-781-4-76-6

This new version in "sunray grey"  has a nice young look to it

longines-hydroconquest-l3-781-4-76-6-350

• Like 1

Yeah I like a lot of the Longines ones. How does Rado compare to them are they good quality watches or not in the same league?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, watchbuyer said:

Yeah I like a lot of the Longines ones. How does Rado compare to them are they good quality watches or not in the same league?

Longines are the best value Autos on the planet when you mix movement/build/style/backup .... I harp on about this a lot but you can pick up a New Longines Conquest Auto (entry not classic) for about £600 which is ridiculous really considering the crap you can also buy on the high street for that money. Rado are very good watches really but to be honest, they as a company spend more as a percentage of their turnover on Advertising and collateral so they RRP their watches high. Great watches , but just too much...  

For your budget there are a lot of options ... and to compare with @JoT 's suggestion of a Longines Hydroconquest  the Oris Divers are also very good watches.

The smaller Longines Hydroconquest by the way for me is the best value auto Diver out there ...

I don't currently own a Longines ( recently had a couple ) but they are a must look at brand for newbies..... 

[ look up the "record" series of chronometers.... ( accurate watches ) ]

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1