• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Col81

Omega seamaster 2018 or bb58

3 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I love my SMP, it's my most versatile watch and wears brilliantly.

I went on the waiting list for a BB58 on August 3rd.To me it looks like a 'wow' watch but I doubt it'll have the 58's versatility.

Till I saw the 58 on the Tudor site, a new SMP was going to be the one.

Why did you want two competing watches just out of interest ? They are both stunning watches but won't you favour one almost instantly and then flip !?

Omega :hmmm9uh:

Don't like the skeleton hands, simply can't abide that bracelet, or that "knob" at 10 o'clock, apart from that it's OK.

Tudor.

Has the hour hand ever injured anyone ?

45 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Omega :hmmm9uh:

Don't like the skeleton hands, simply can't abide that bracelet, or that "knob" at 10 o'clock, apart from that it's OK.

Tudor.

Has the hour hand ever injured anyone ?

Agree with you re those skeleton hands, ugly. 

Can’t really help the OP with his decision as I’ve never owned or even worn either model. The Omega is obviously an exceptional watch and top build quality.

On purely personal taste, I’m going to buck the trend and choose the BB58. Prefer the aesthetics. And it’s probably  rarer too

Edited by Yanto
Spelling

Both great pieces as has been said countless times before try the both on the wrist and buy the one you love or both..I struggle with the hour hand on the Tudor looks like something designed by those from the Early learning centre..

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Why did you want two competing watches just out of interest ? They are both stunning watches but won't you favour one almost instantly and then flip !?

Probably favour one yeah, but I'm a keeper with my watches.hopefully that'll be it

I see the 58 as more dressy than the SMP anyway

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 14:06, mcb2007 said:

Really I've never had a problem seeing it in the dark.

image.jpeg

Had mine on last week when it was sunny and later in the day the lume seemed to light up our bedroom.

Best lume on any watch I've got.:thumbsup:

Edited by Turpinr

Omega Seamaster professional for me too. I've had mine for nearly a decade and it still looks good and keeps good time despite having been all over the world with me. Mine is the later version of the aluminium bezel with Omegas coaxial 2500 movement inside.  Lume is still good too. Bracelet is superbly comfortable.. 

IMG_20190816_103800.thumb.jpg.a08d9aa84cd41a58095a76d98d0b9580.jpg

Lume and colour - hard to beat the omega.

But if you're willing to wait (there's a waiting list for BB58) then I would go for that. There's a great heritage to it (if you're a James Bond fan) and there's a lovely vintage feel both in terms of the gold accents and the relatively small size to it. Its more versatile too, throwing a leather strap on it would look amazing which I don't think will be the same on an omega seamaster.

There are is at least one BB58 in the window at Milton Keynes Frazer Hart, I was looking Sunday.

zenarcade, omega just jumped £100 across the board, is there another hike coming?

12 minutes ago, alan1219 said:

There's a great heritage to it (if you're a James Bond fan)

What was the link to JB?

You could always get a used watch. There are always excellent condition 1500 - 2000 Omega and Tudor for sale.

People buy them and 18 months later get bored and take a huge loss in some cases.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MSC said:

You could always get a used watch. There are always excellent condition 1500 - 2000 Omega and Tudor for sale.

People buy them and 18 months later get bored and take a huge loss in some cases.

Tudor BBs are amongst the most flipped watches in the UK market currently according to one contact who buys in the wholesale used market...

41 minutes ago, richy176 said:

What was the link to JB?

the tudor it was based off was the little brother of ref 6358 which was the rolex sub in Dr No

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Tudor BBs are amongst the most flipped watches in the UK market currently according to one contact who buys in the wholesale used market...

I have seen some really nice ones on the dark side but I just don't have the buying power.

Wish I did have 1500 - 2000 spare

59 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

There are is at least one BB58 in the window at Milton Keynes Frazer Hart, I was looking Sunday.

zenarcade, omega just jumped £100 across the board, is there another hike coming?

Interesting, I live in London and I've been to Fraser Hart and Ernest Jones - both have reported minimum 6 month waiting times. Not to be condescending but are you sure it wasn't the Black Bay Black rather than the 58?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan1219 said:

Interesting, I live in London and I've been to Fraser Hart and Ernest Jones - both have reported minimum 6 month waiting times. 

More ridiculous watch-to-market antics imo.... Lovely watch but Joe-on-the-street is not going to wait 6 months , he is going to buy something else......

1 hour ago, alan1219 said:

Interesting, I live in London and I've been to Fraser Hart and Ernest Jones - both have reported minimum 6 month waiting times. Not to be condescending but are you sure it wasn't the Black Bay Black rather than the 58?

I had a very similar response from an AD in Murcia last week when asking the availability of the BB58...

Why is the bb58 so popular? Is it because people see it as exceptional value for money or think it'll rise in price? 

Also, how did you predict the omega was going to rise in price? I'm genuinely interested to know.

16 hours ago, alan1219 said:

Yep, certain. They had BB, BB dark’s (but not the Chrono) and 58’s. Nice window display, everything but the Ranger, which is what I was looking for.

11 hours ago, BigTT said:

Why is the bb58 so popular? Is it because people see it as exceptional value for money or think it'll rise in price? 

Also, how did you predict the omega was going to rise in price? I'm genuinely interested to know.

In my view, it’s all about the vintage detailing. Small dial, gold accents, thinner watch which everyone is after nowadays. It’s also a new movement - all of these factors adds up to a watch which is highly likely to appreciate overtime. Frankly I’d prefer it over a submariner which is seriously saying something (assuming both were the same price naturally).

Having said that imo don’t buy watches on the basis that they will appreciate. Watches are bought to be worn and no one became a millionaire overnight by flipping watches so buy what speaks to you

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alan1219 said:

In my view, it’s all about the vintage detailing. Small dial, gold accents, thinner watch which everyone is after nowadays. It’s also a new movement - all of these factors adds up to a watch which is highly likely to appreciate overtime. Frankly I’d prefer it over a submariner which is seriously saying something (assuming both were the same price naturally).

Having said that imo don’t buy watches on the basis that they will appreciate. Watches are bought to be worn and no one became a millionaire overnight by flipping watches so buy what speaks to you

It will only appreciate if the new price is regularly hiked and supply is kept restricted as used prices will then rise to follow the list price (Rolex anyone :whistle: ).

I am not aware of this happening with the rest of the Tudor range, which leads me to believe that at this point they genuinely can not keep up with demand.  As soon as they catch up, bye bye any price premium over list...

If/when they become freely available, used prices will soften faster than ice cream in the mid-day sun.

Oh, and it is a lovely watch...

630-C932-D-6287-46-A0-8-ADF-AA927-A0-DDE

Edited by andyd30
  • Like 1