• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
KAS118

Yema Superman Heritage Bronze

Hi - does anyone have much experience of Yema?

I only first heard of them a few weeks ago - but their launching a bronze diver on Kicksarter on 1st June.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yemawatches/1734769370?ref=833001&token=e0fb3d32&fbclid=IwAR1NotsoRbMKo1lZHaB9HY9PjXriHoMgei8-OzHLfdOVKvkq6oWQUlE6haA

What intérêts me about it is the fact its going to use their own in-house movement. Does anyone know about this. They say they spent €3m developing it!? But is it just a French clone of an ETA 2824?

View/opinions welcome 

Yema is one of the most popular french watch brands. They trace back to the 50s I think. At least that's the oldest watch that I've seen from them.

Usually their watches are cheap but they made some vintage divers which go for a few hundred each nowadays.

I doubt that the movement is anything special but I do applaud the effort of having something made in-house and, above all, here in Europe and not outsourced to Asia. (or the swiss)

The watch looks nice to me. The price is high, though.

• Like 2

That's lovely, an awful lot to like (especially once the brass has settled down a bit).

At £550 it's a lot of money but I still think it represents good value.

This year I banned myself from buying any more (already had a citizen royal marine, Certina DS PH 200m and pre ordered a ventus Northstar*) or I'd be all over it!

*Exceptional VFM

Really nicely put together watch KAS. I can see why you like it.

What, if anything, does the manufacturer say about their movement?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

That's lovely, an awful lot to like (especially once the brass has settled down a bit).

At £550 it's a lot of money but I still think it represents good value.

This year I banned myself from buying any more (already had a citizen royal marine, Certina DS PH 200m and pre ordered a ventus Northstar*) or I'd be all over it!

*Exceptional VFM

Yeah - I know what you mean - I've had a huge splurge this year - Dreadnought GMT PRS-2, Newmark 6BB, Axiom IXL MONTRE D'AVIATEUR, MODELE I, Ianos Avyssos, Mitchell Timepieces B2 and Neucarl Sept Mai - and I had told myself the Newmark 71 was going to be the last one this year. However, this one is basically 50% off - and has it's own inhale movement. It just seems too good an opportunity to tun down.

21 minutes ago, Eski said:

Really nicely put together watch KAS. I can see why you like it.

What, if anything, does the manufacturer say about their movement?

Hi Eski - they just say it took 2 years and €3mil to development. Its adjusted in 3 positions - has a guaranteed accuracy of +/- 12 secs and an observed accuracy of +/- 6 secs per day

Here's a video to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vOaNIC2pwc

MONTRE D'AVIATEUR, MODELE I

10 minutes ago, KAS118 said:

Yeah - I know what you mean - I've had a huge splurge this year - Dreadnought GMT PRS-2, Newmark 6BB, Axiom IXL MONTRE D'AVIATEUR, MODELE I, Ianos Avyssos, Mitchell Timepieces B2 and Neucarl Sept Mai - and I had told myself the Newmark 71 was going to be the last one this year. However, this one is basically 50% off - and has it's own inhale movement. It just seems too good an opportunity to tun down.

Hi Eski - they just say it took 2 years and €3mil to development. Its adjusted in 3 positions - has a guaranteed accuracy of +/- 12 secs and an observed accuracy of +/- 6 secs per day

Here's a video to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vOaNIC2pwc

MONTRE D'AVIATEUR, MODELE I

You buy one... I'll have it off you at a reduced rate when your conscience kicks in :laugh:

It is bloody nice isn't it!

• Haha 1

I really like it ..maybe the 39mm would look better the 41mm just for the strap proportions.....never owned a Bronze piece but this I like... 

KAS, just a heads up buddy. I just saw a Yema Superman on WUS sales corner. It was circa 5 weeks old and already looking for its third owner, ie original purchaser immediately pinged it to WUS, and now that buyer is jogging it on very quickly too.

It may of course have nothing to do with the watch's quality or fit & finish, but thought you should know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KAS118 said:

they just say it took 2 years and €3mil to development.

This claim I would treat with suspicion..... Possibly included in their blurb to help buyers feel more comfortable about the ticket price. Its very easy to massage all sorts of figures to make such claims.

Their watches look typically French in many ways , with a curious twist often on tried and tested themes and I actually like the look of many of them. It would be interesting to see how the quality holds up against the price tag 

I've been hankering after their Superman Heritage for a while but I cannot justify the price tag for a mineral glass watch. I know Seiko still use mineral in many of their £500+ watches, but mineral is the worse of all possible crystal worlds IMO.

I expect Jay Deep won't like it because it looks tasteful and cool :laugh:

Yema_Superman_Heritage_face_6f8cb7ca-039

https://eu.yema.com/collections/superman/products/yema-superman-heritage-ysup2018a?variant=12521795813449

And the movement's non too shabby either

mbp_1000_back.png?939

https://eu.yema.com/pages/yema-mbp1000

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

I've been hankering after their Superman Heritage for a while but I cannot justify the price tag for a mineral glass watch. I know Seiko still use mineral in many of their £500+ watches, but mineral is the worse of all possible crystal worlds IMO.

Hardlex is significantly superior to most proprietary mineral crystals for watches but having said that , any watch over about £300 should have Sapphire crystal imo....

Also profile has a lot to do with it also , Seiko Prospex solar Divers with their recessed flat Hardlex are pretty bullet proof but this is not the case for some of the shaped and domed crystals on other watches , they tend to edge scratch with more frequency.

It's not bad at all, 39mm option on the bronze too, and no date. I wouldn't pay much attention to their marketing nonsense though. Mineral glass doesn't bother me, but is that "visual obstruction" next to the crown necessary ?

7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Hardlex is significantly superior to most proprietary mineral crystals for watches but having said that , any watch over about £300 should have Sapphire crystal imo....

Also profile has a lot to do with it also , Seiko Prospex solar Divers with their recessed flat Hardlex are pretty bullet proof but this is not the case for some of the shaped and domed crystals on other watches , they tend to edge scratch with more frequency.

Some watches just don't look right with anything other than a domed mineral crystal. Regardless of cost. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

It's not bad at all, 39mm option on the bronze too, and no date. I wouldn't pay much attention to their marketing nonsense though. Mineral glass doesn't bother me, but is that "visual obstruction" next to the crown necessary ?

It's part of their original 60s design to lock the bezel when divers watches were used by divers. I like it :)

You can specify sapphire glass but it bumps the price to €1,099 :swoon:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

It's part of their original 60s design to lock the bezel when divers watches were used by divers. I like it :)

You can specify sapphire glass but it bumps the price to €1,099 :swoon:

Charging £200 for a Sapphire is ridiculous within that watch price banding ... :thumbdown:

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Charging £200 for a Sapphire is ridiculous within that watch price banding ... :thumbdown:

I agree.

An eastern european would simply buy the cheap mineral glass one then buy a sapphire for 20 GBP or whatever it costs then have the glass swapped. :thumbs_up: (oh and he'd swap it by himself but I guess it depends on how experienced you are with such things)

1 hour ago, it'salivejim said:

I expect Jay Deep won't like it because it looks tasteful and cool :laugh:

https://eu.yema.com/collections/superman/products/yema-superman-heritage-ysup2018a?variant=12521795813449

And the movement's non too shabby either

mbp_1000_back.png?939

https://eu.yema.com/pages/yema-mbp1000

The Bronze version has Domed AR Sapphire and is €624 on KS - although you have to add 20% VAT on that.

16 minutes ago, KAS118 said:

The Bronze version has Domed AR Sapphire and is €624 on KS - although you have to add 20% VAT on that.

This brings it in line with their standard Superman pricing.

I think I'll wait for the new Newmark Sports watch instead:

https://newmark71.newmarkwatchcompany.com

ET-000405.3a.png

ET-000405.3b.png

ET-000405.3d.png

Edited by it'salivejim

20 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

This brings it in line with their standard Superman pricing.

I think I'll wait for the new Newmark Sports watch instead:

https://newmark71.newmarkwatchcompany.com

ET-000405.3a.png

ET-000405.3b.png

ET-000405.3d.png

I agree that the Newmark 71 look superb - and that's a definite on my list - especially for £299 on KS on 18 June - indeed that was going to be my next, and last, purchase for this year.

However, with an in-house movement, a bronze case (I don't actually have a bronze watch at the moment) and 46% off - I'm just wondering if I'd regret not getting the Yema too!?  I'm just arguing with myself if I can bring 'next years' purchase forwards to this year 

4 minutes ago, KAS118 said:

I agree that the Newmark 71 look superb - and that's a definite on my list - especially for £299 on KS on 18 June - indeed that was going to be my next, and last, purchase for this year.

However, with an in-house movement, a bronze case (I don't actually have a bronze watch at the moment) and 46% off - I'm just wondering if I'd regret not getting the Yema too!?  I'm just arguing with myself if I can bring 'next years' purchase forwards to this year 

It's a bitch ain't it :laugh:

• Like 1

I used to own a somewhat lived in a quartz example with the bezel lock/window. It was a nice watch but nothing particularly outstanding & the bezel lock/window on mine didn't work properly. This left the non-ratcheting bezel loose even after the crown was screwed down. Screwing the crown down was supposed to push the lock against the bezel so locking it in place. This was at a stage in my watch collecting career where I was keen to try as many different watches as I could on whatever meagre/limited budget I had at the time, hence I didn't keep the watch for long & sold it to fund something else.

I have to say that I don't particularly miss it (unlike some of the watches I've sold) & I've never had the urge to buy another (again unlike some of the watches I've sold). Having said all that I'm sure that the one in the link is streets ahead of the one I owned. If you like it, & can afford it, then go for it :thumbs_up: 

1 hour ago, KAS118 said:

...last...purchase for this year.

...I can bring 'next years' purchase forwards to this year...

Dude, you're in trouble :laugh:

• Haha 1

Does anyone know if Yema is still the same company that made watches for the French air force and (an) astronaut(s) as they claim on their website, or are they just a revived brand owned and operated by someone else?