• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
JonnyOldBoy

Breitling - Business Success V WIS delight

Been keeping my senses tuned to the gently unfolding story of Breitling over the last couple of years and during my recent hunt for my latest watch have spoken to a few industry dudes and dudettes who have painted an interesting picture of this brand.

It appears business wise , the company has been very proactive to counter major issues in the watch buying world including global economic conditions, Chinese anti-corruption laws, buying trends etc etc and the upshot of that is that in the last full year of recorded financials , Breitling UK made less revenue and sold fewer watches in the UK than the year before it , yet made more profit , significantly more.

Forecast sales of their "new generation" of watches are extremely healthy and the sales figures with regards numbers of watches sold looks like its going to rise in the coming months and years globally and this is where I see both famine and feast for the WIS community who follow and enjoy this brand.

Personally for me the New Breitling offerings as the months roll by slowly becoming less of interest to me. Many people I have spoken to also seem to share this sentiment about the newer crop "not being real Breitling" in their aesthetics. 

Speaking to a couple of established dealers in pre-owned Breilting recently , they see a premium in this situation. One said that demand for certain models dated mid 90s to early 2010s in very good condition was rising significantly and although as of yet it appears to be just a select few models , he sees demand for other "Real Breiltings" as he put it to follow once the ADs on the high street are stocking mostly "newer models".

Anecdotally it appears that about 95% of UK watch purchases are by the non-WIS Joe-public and if they want "Audi" looking Bretlings ( as one member here once put it ) then that's what the market will deliver. Breilting are renowned for engaging in detailed and in-depth market research before producing-to-market so its only sensible that they deliver on that.

But for people like me, it perhaps an end of an era of that particular brand and I can see me myself nosing at minty NOS/ pre-owned and unworns in the future rather than mooching around ADs as I have done for last couple of decades.

What are others opinions on the Newer face of this major brand ?

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

What are others opinions on the Newer face of this major brand ?

To my untrained eye, it would appear to be a race to see how much you can get away with charging. I like the older stuff, but that's probably due to my age, and what I connect with, also I have a close friend/s who restore/fly vintage aircraft, and vintage Breitling chronos are their chosen standard attire. If people want "Audi" watches, The Audi garage, sorry, "Audi experience centre" has them for sale. This ones £75,

3101800100_front.jpg

• Like 1

some of the avengers look ok to me but the newer stuff is meh!

I suppose he problem with an iconic look is that it can date , sadly the newer stuff looks like overpriced everything else.

to be fair though I have never been that much of a breitling fan as I think most of their stuff too busy.

I reckon for the non wis a expensive watch is good because it is expensive , they are just jewlery these days 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Breitling UK made less revenue and sold fewer watches in the UK than the year before it , yet made more profit , significantly more.

It's just the current fashion and, right now, "less is more" seems to appeal to the customers so the designers must follow suit and that's ultimately reflected in the Accounts Dept's figures.  It wont last forever though and the more Avant-Garde designs will no doubt resurface when the mood changes.

• Like 1

The new Superocean does not do it for me, In my opinion the market is saturated with Subalikes as it is with better to be had at a fraction of the cost for example the Hydro conquest. 

I am happy to have in my collection a Superocean 2007 and Aerospace 2013 with the exception of a Navitimer 806 I think I am content on the Breitling front for now.

• Like 2

I've owned a few Breitlings (B1, Superocean, Heritage, Seawolf) and the quality was excellent but they're a bit chunky for my current tastes so they've all been sold. I bought most of them used so didn't lose much if anything.

I quite like the new models such as the Premier Day Date probably due to the smaller size and vintage aesthetics.

My brother-in-law is not a WIS but loves the Navitimer. It is a great watch with fantastic heritage but some of the prices are astounding - £6-£7k. At that sort of price I'd much rather have a Rolex GMT, if they were readily available.