Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Pulsar Chrono hiding a 7t32?

Recommended Posts

Ive just bought this pulsar, these are the sellers pictures, so i'll get some better ones when it arrives. I just fancied it to go with my Seiko 7t32, it will be nice to compare them side by side. They look closely related. I'll add a comparison to the thread when it lands and ive cleaned it up a bit. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

from the pics it looks like it needs a good clean and theres a bit of stretch in the end of the bracelet. 

No idea of age yet? Im guessing mid 90's by the styling? Though it could be a decade either way i guess? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pulsar chrono that i thought reminded me of a seiko t32 arrived and the movement is a y182. Using the seiko sleuth. It dates to either 1991 or 2001. Serial 101748. I dont know whether its the correct way of doing it. But i couldnt find a site to date a pulsar! So i used the serial on the seiko site.

Its a nice watch but no where near the quality feel of the seiko. The case for eg is basemetal. Dimensions are same. And the y182 movement has the same functions as the t32 with 4 buttons to control them. The alarm doesnt sound as nice as the seiko though. Some pics. In the case back pics the pulsar is the one with 2 waves. Kissing cousins?17d5160252e1d972df37427cd960b888.jpg6724c85d43d90e4327e2143ac0ef81d7.jpg13e4eb4030dc51c5abf2dd5627626d94.jpg1ae1af11f4e45c4adf22cd0ef7d3476a.jpgdd93ee22d9325524fe8f0ee5ceebb913.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching two 7t62 yellow face models, one Seiko, one Pulsar. Looked identical apart from branding.

I've been looking out for 7t32, 7t62 and ym variants. A lot seem to come up not working, which makes me wonder about reliability.

Your Pulsar looks nice enough. Certainly interesting to compare with the Seiko.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7t62 equivalents,cheap as chips although the top one sustained postal damage and it cost me a bun and cup of tea to get fixed!large.63CAB39C-11DF-4725-801B-BEA1500E570F.jpeg.8783a83adc0ca99af9027d401d2c458b.jpeglarge.507FC81A-95D9-48FC-B906-2FCFDAF2C7E8.jpeg.ef43001db315791310380d8e32ad4a0a.jpeglarge.9A686930-2B03-45D7-A4E4-3B0A6605836A.jpeg.bf0a1cc550da3d0b3c6e5ebd5f197996.jpeg7t

Edited by bridgeman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, spinynorman said:

A lot seem to come up not working

looking at condition a lot seem to have had hard lives. I believe it can create a problem if you leave the chrono running with it off the wrist on its side. It seems it can put the movement under strain and wear is first shown in time keeping stopping during the process unless the watch is upright on the wrist. As this can also indicate a slowing down in battery power it could just be duff info ive read? I'd think the fact most look a bit battered is why a lot are spares repairs. I was lucky to get the one in very good condition with box and papers. Wouldnt mind a panda dial. The Pulsar actually does seem to run spot on with the y182 and is fairly well used, so maybe you have a point. 

20 hours ago, bridgeman said:

7t62 equivalents,cheap as chips although the top one sustained postal damage and it cost me a bun and cup of tea to get fixed!large.63CAB39C-11DF-4725-801B-BEA1500E570F.jpeg.8783a83adc0ca99af9027d401d2c458b.jpeglarge.507FC81A-95D9-48FC-B906-2FCFDAF2C7E8.jpeg.ef43001db315791310380d8e32ad4a0a.jpeglarge.9A686930-2B03-45D7-A4E4-3B0A6605836A.jpeg.bf0a1cc550da3d0b3c6e5ebd5f197996.jpeg7t

the 7t92 is a bit of a bargain too. I had one of the Argos specials a while back and should have bought a flightmaster when they were 85 quid there, instead i paid £110 for a white face bimetal one. 

t32, 62 and 92 are definitely all worth a look. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for an interesting Interesting thread.:)

Pulsar is a fascinating brand. Unlike Pulsar's sibling, Lorus, which was a deliberate creation by Seiko, Pulsar had "prior history" before joining the Seiko clan in 1979. Indeed, originally Pulsar was, in effect, the name of a watch developed jointly by the American firms, Hamilton and Electro/Data Inc., destined to be the first electronic digital watch and launched by Hamilton in Spring 1972. I believe that the fact that Pulsar had a history prior to its acquisition by Seiko has to some extent led it to be placed in slightly uneasy position within the Seiko group. It was relatively easy to locate Lorus as the less expensive arm of the watches produced by Seiko, but Pulsar watches tend to be placed in an overlapping position between watches branded Seiko and the less expensive Lorus offerings.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

t32, 62 and 92 are definitely all worth a look

I also came across a 7T42, which is an interesting variation, with a countdown timer. Can't remember why I didn't buy it, though it might have been another for spares.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I also came across a 7T42, which is an interesting variation, with a countdown timer. Can't remember why I didn't buy it, though it might have been another for spares.

Ive just bought a Seiko 7t42 'Royal Oak'.

similar to this. 

Image result for seiko royal oak chronograph

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2019 at 19:22, bridgeman said:

7t62 equivalents,cheap as chips although the top one sustained postal damage and it cost me a bun and cup of tea to get fixed!large.9A686930-2B03-45D7-A4E4-3B0A6605836A.jpeg.bf0a1cc550da3d0b3c6e5ebd5f197996.jpeg7t

I like this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Ive just bought a Seiko 7t42 'Royal Oak'.

similar to this. 

Image result for seiko royal oak chronograph

 

Isn't that a t34? And very nice too. But the t42 is like this. Apparently the top sub-dial is a countdown timer - can be set up to 60 mins in 1 min intervals.  

9zxcN8bm.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Isn't that a t34? And very nice too. But the t42 is like this. Apparently the top sub-dial is a countdown timer - can be set up to 60 mins in 1 min intervals.  

9zxcN8bm.jpg

sorry yes it is my mistake, i'll add more when it arrives, cheers Nigel. 

full ref is a 7T34-7A10 000259. 

s-l1600.jpg

@Roger the Dodger i can't date the seiko from the above case back numbers on sleuth? Any ideas of age? Cheers Nigel. 

all i can get is this.

Results for movement 7T34 with serial number 000259 :-
The watch was made in October 1970,1980,1990,2000,2010

 

any way of narrowing it down?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

 

@Roger the Dodger i can't date the seiko from the above case back numbers on sleuth? Any ideas of age? Cheers Nigel. 

all i can get is this.

Results for movement 7T34 with serial number 000259 :-
The watch was made in October 1970,1980,1990,2000,2010

 

any way of narrowing it down?

As far as I can find out from a post on TZ-UK, the 7T34s were in production from '88-'92, therefore yours would appear to be from October 1990. See post below.

Probably a 7t42 / 7t34 / 7t59.

7t42 should be from around '88, 7t34 around '88-'92, 7t59 end '91-'93.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

As far as I can find out from a post on TZ-UK, the 7T34s were in production from '88-'92, therefore yours would appear to be from October 1990. See post below.

Probably a 7t42 / 7t34 / 7t59.

7t42 should be from around '88, 7t34 around '88-'92, 7t59 end '91-'93.

Thank you Roger! Very much appreciated! Well done in finding that. Do you fancy a bit of part time work as an Internal Auditor during your retirement? No i really appreciate that my searches turned up nothing. Cheers Rog. 

As an aside Roger do you know anything about these seiko 'royal oaks'? From what i can gather its a nick name given from the Audemars Piguet royal oak off shore due to a slight similarity in bezel shape but with more sides from my reckoning? 

Heres mine seller pics

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nigelp said:

. As an aside Roger do you know anything about these seiko 'royal oaks'? 

I don't know very much about them, Nigel as I've not really looked at them before. Apart from having a date sub dial at 3 instead of a date window, I think they're basically the same as a 7T32. Interestingly, most seem to be labelled 'Flightmasters', and looking at Google Images of 7T34s, you can see why. Kev might be able to throw some more light on them?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I don't know very much about them, Nigel as I've not really looked at them before. Apart from having a date sub dial at 3 instead of a date window, I think they're basically the same as a 7T32. Interestingly, most seem to be labelled 'Flightmasters', and looking at Google Images of 7T34s, you can see why. Kev might be able to throw some more light on them?

Thanks Roger I'll have a bit more of a dig and put some pics on when it comes, Kev will clarify it hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2019 at 17:48, Nigelp said:

The pulsar chrono that i thought reminded me of a seiko t32 arrived and the movement is a y182.

I just got a Pulsar Titanium Y182-6C50. It's the first 7T32 variant I've bought that really did only need a new battery. It's very light and comfortable to wear, but the lightness also makes the bracelet feel cheap, until you get it on. One of the lug end covers snapped - not sure if it was already or if I did it taking it off to clean and resize - but I got it back on in two bits and the break is hardly visible. The design is never going to be my favourite, too fussy, but it's an interesting thing to have.

2019-06-10_05-59-49

 

 

Edited by spinynorman
Change of picture
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I just got a Pulsar Titanium Y182-6C50. It's the first 7T32 variant I've bought that really did only need a new battery. It's very light and comfortable to wear, but the lightness also makes the bracelet feel cheap, until you get it on. One of the lug end covers snapped - not sure if it was already or if I did it taking it off to clean and resize - but I got it back on in two bits and the break is hardly visible. The design is never going to be my favourite, too fussy, but it's an interesting thing to have.

2019-06-10_05-59-49

 

 

I like it, its like a mini Breitling, and in titanium its a bit more about it too. I find mines one of those watches that i tend to just put on and wear without thinking about it, it just sits on the wrist unobtrusively while offering all those great functions. I think theyre cool to have not many y182's about, theyre good to have alongside t32's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this reverse panda is on the bay for 57 quid but he says he will take offers. 

s-l1600.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice find Nigel.

As usual, I've come to bore you with facts...  :biggrin:
The Y series were just rebadged Seiko 7T (and more) modules available for anyone to buy - and cheaply too!   While they filtered those down for use in the Pulsar (and I believe the upper end of the Lorus range too) they were mainly bought by smaller watchmakers.

Probably the most significant is YEMA, the French watchmaker.  Though rarely seen in the UK they have made some phenomenally expensive mechanical watches and many of them are absolutely beautiful, but in the late 1980's and early 1990's they hopped on the quartz bandwagon.   Enter Seiko.  Yema bought in some 7A28 movements for their early quartz chronographs and then some Y182 (7t32) for the follow up range. I don't think they were tremendously popular because until quite recently you could find them on ebay for very little money - they used to be excellent picking for vintage Seiko Quartz collectors!
Even now they pop up from time to time at sensible money, here's one from a few weeks ago at £50;   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Montre-YEMA-Chronograph-100M-Y182/233110982053?hash=item36467f4da5:g:ot0AAOSwuytcTW18

It's very common practice to sell off their movements, they've always done it - the hard part is finding them in cheap watches to steal for your nice shiny Seiko.
Luckily in years to come you'll be able to butcher an Invicta "NH36" for parts for your Seiko 4R36.   :laughing2dw:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

date looks a bit out to me, but otherwise it looks mint. 

3 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

The Y series were just rebadged Seiko 7T

Thanks Kev, interesting stuff there, yes the Yema looks good!

Kev have you seen the mint looking boxed and papered t42 like i had on the bay for 100 quid?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Seiko-Quartz-Alarm-Chronograph-Watch-7T42-6A00/192930223007?hash=item2ceb89939f:g:UIoAAOSw9Ylc6736

it almost looks nos, tags and all, it was at £125 and sellers dropped to 100 so might take offers. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice yellow 7T32-7F70 on the bay...a bit steep at £90, and not the original bracelet, but you don't see them all that often.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Mens-SEIKO-Chronograph-Alarm-Quartz-Watch-7T32-7F70-Yellow-Panda-Watch/254259818281?hash=item3b3310ef29:g:ycwAAOSwly9c~oPS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Nice yellow 7T32-7F70 on the bay...a bit steep at £90, and not the original bracelet, but you don't see them all that often.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Mens-SEIKO-Chronograph-Alarm-Quartz-Watch-7T32-7F70-Yellow-Panda-Watch/254259818281?hash=item3b3310ef29:g:ycwAAOSwly9c~oPS

Seems a bit pricey on a mesh, but then i don't know how sought after these are? I think the term Panda is getting a bit stretched in the imagination, i mean if there was a yellow panda with black circles around its eyes that would be rare! For me the reverse panda is a far enough stretch of the nick name. 

then again

https://soranews24.com/2013/02/28/zoo-dwelling-panda-turns-yellow-bums-out-visitors-and-enrages-internet/

and i quote!

"Personally, I’m more appalled at so much panda discrimination going on around the Internet. I think all pandas should be treated equally regardless of their color or lifestyle choices. So, this panda shouldn’t be called “wrong” or “sad” just because its chooses to be yellow and smelly!"

:laughing2dw: yellow panda discrimination!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...