• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
barrywatch

Do I need a lathe

Hi

I am thinking about the purchase of a second hand watchmakers lathe, not new but a good s/h machine. It is a relatively expensive bit of kit with ongoing expenses of collets and accessories. Good old Ebay has a few base machines but accessories can be expensive so the price goes up. I have found a boxed Pultra 10 with a few collects and other bits from a dealer of machines but at €675 I am wondering if I would find it difficult to pick up being able to be productive. Primarily my interest is pocket watches and clocks so would use it for staffs and pivots. I am struggling to justify in my mind that kind of expense although I would love to be able to fix some of the many broken watches that I have. Anybody been through the same dilemma and come out the other side. I already have and use a full size lathe for general jobbing work mostly on my other hobby classic cars.

Barry

If you can comfortably afford it, and have room, sure - why not!

You could always sell it on if you don't get the use out of it right?

I don't really need a lathe these days but I have six of them!! :laugh:

I just machines, After all- Watches are just machines in miniature!! :clap:

John:)

once you learn how to run a lathe,  all sizes - it is the best hobby or retirement  tool.  (and a  mill).  vin