• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Longines Hydroconquest 41 Auto - ceramic or steel version ?

I have a buddy who has seen and fallen for the Hydroconquest black dial ceramic.. I then showed him the out-going steel bezel version and he is now torn... Spec appears to win over on the newer one , but aesthetics seem to for the older one which he thinks he now prefers .. he can get the older model for £700 and the new one for £1000 , both NEW AD stock.

What do people think about these two ... I edge towards older but will the steel bezel tarnish too easily for a sports watch that may get daily wear !?

22ages.jpg

longines-mens-hydroconquest-41mm-automatic-grey-ceramic-bezel-watch-p23390-29096_image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best value Swiss Diver has to be the Tissot Seastar.....  by a million miles ( or at least a few metres ) 

Does anyone know why Longines stopped making the better-looking (IMO) all number dial version?      

They updated the movement and then decided to facelift the dial to "make it more contemporary yet retailing a classic nuance" I believe was stated at Baselworld that year if my memory serves me well (

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Probably.  Better get a Tag Heuer.

Not in his budget , plus I had one for a few months and was seriously underwhelmed for the price. It was a £1600 watch that I paid £1100 for new and although nice enough, the bracelet was polished in butter I assume it scratched so easily. Great watch , but Tags between £1K and £2K often represent very poor value for money. 

I have a buddy who has seen and fallen for the Hydroconquest black dial ceramic.. I then showed him the out-going steel bezel version and he is now torn... Spec appears to win over on the newer one , but aesthetics seem to for the older one which he thinks he now prefers .. he can get the older model for £700 and the new one for £1000 , both NEW AD stock.
What do people think about these two ... I edge towards older but will the steel bezel tarnish too easily for a sports watch that may get daily wear !?

22ages.jpg.d4a0345bd8e6306587e4afe7969f0044.jpg
longines-mens-hydroconquest-41mm-automatic-grey-ceramic-bezel-watch-p23390-29096_image.thumb.jpeg.5f31693dd62cb364c011a2117c48bcda.jpeg
The bottom picture what i imagone the the newer model is nicer, stunning looking diver that [emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Not in his budget , plus I had one for a few months and was seriously underwhelmed for the price. It was a £1600 watch that I paid £1100 for new and although nice enough, the bracelet was polished in butter I assume it scratched so easily. Great watch , but Tags between £1K and £2K often represent very poor value for money. 

I have to say, after I bought my Tag 6000 brand new in 94/95, for around 1k, I did write a scathing letter to Tag - it was on a water buffalo strap or something and two broke - and I did mention how easily the bezel scratched.  They gave me a metal bracelet, and that has done pretty well to be fair, although I didn't wear it for about 10 years and I had to put thread lock on the screws ha ha ha

we won't talk about the time I left the crown unscrewed

anyway, it is still stylish!  and the lume, is, erm, 'patinated', so that's ok

and cool people wear them (me, for instance) :laugh:

and it could be for sale, in his budget

10 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I have to say, after I bought my Tag 6000 brand new in 94/95, for around 1k, I did write a scathing letter to Tag - it was on a water buffalo strap or something and two broke - and I did mention how easily the bezel scratched.  They gave me a metal bracelet, and that has done pretty well to be fair, although I didn't wear it for about 10 years and I had to put thread lock on the screws ha ha ha

we won't talk about the time I left the crown unscrewed

anyway, it is still stylish!  and the lume, is, erm, 'patinated', so that's ok

and cool people wear them (me, for instance) :laugh:

and it could be for sale, in his budget

I really loved mine ... but bought it to use as a beater and the scratch-magnetism just did not work for me... moved it on to fund my Seamaster 300M which is not scratch proof by any stretch of the imagination but less so.

I still think TAG quartz F1 watches are pretty decent value if bought at 25% off ... its their entry watch obviously but I like them. Also some of the Carrera Chronograph watches are fabulous.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Does anyone know why Longines stopped making the better-looking (IMO) all number dial version?

longines-hydro-conquest-black-dial-red-b

They updated the movement and then decided to facelift the dial to "make it more contemporary yet retailing a classic nuance" I believe was stated at Baselworld that year if my memory serves me well ( don't put money on it thought ..... )

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Go to one of the outlet stores and you should be looking closer to 40% off

For some models yes indeed , it's why TAG trade in values to used dealers are sometimes tragically low compared to many Swatch brands....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

22ages.jpg

longines-mens-hydroconquest-41mm-automatic-grey-ceramic-bezel-watch-p23390-29096_image.jpeg

The ceramic is lovely. Looks dressier, with a cleaner dial than the old one and wears large. I've got normal 7.25 wrists and I certainly wouldn't buy the 43. Worth the extra £200 or whatever over the life of the piece to her the new one imo. I like the grey but the bezel is a slightly weird colour irl. The black/blue are boring but beautiful.

Plus the crown guard is lethal.

Don't buy it on rubber though. The strap looks nice but it's an inch thick and has a clasp so you need to physically cut it. Rip midget wrist resellers.

Longines themselves are sold out of the 41 on a bracelet. Some ADs have them, but no new stock till August.

Edited by ry ry
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Deano3 said:

The bottom picture what i imagone the the newer model is nicer, stunning looking diver that emoji7.pngemoji7.png

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For Me they are both Cracking pieces but I do like the busier dial of the Steel and the  way the black face stands out...Also the numbering on the Bezel to me makes more sense...

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

They updated the movement and then decided to facelift the dial to "make it more contemporary yet retailing a classic nuance" I believe was stated at Baselworld that year if my memory serves me well ( don't put money on it thought ..... )

I know they decided to stick with the 2892 base for the new ceramic model but they've gone back to the old dial design. Maybe the all number dial wasn't a seller?

10 hours ago, JacobMoogberg said:

Do you know what he plans on using it for? If it's supposed to double as a dress watch I think the new one is the best choice, otherwise stick to the old. 

Its definitely a dressdiver. not sure it'll fit under a tailored cuff comfortably though.

24 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

I know they decided to stick with the 2892 base for the new ceramic model but they've gone back to the old dial design. Maybe the all number dial wasn't a seller?

The all number dial was never a massive hit , possibly because back in the day Omega Seamaster Divers in quartz were A. being sold and B. were not massively more expensive than the Hydro.... It may have looked totally different ( I remember hearing that was deliberate so as not to pull customers away from the Omegas ) ... Now it's a different story. The all number variants in mint condition sell for more than the younger versions and a Minty NOS one sold a few weeks back on the Bay for over a Grand.... that speaks volumes me thinks about how they are regarded.