• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Will this Watch be a Winner

I am about to put this military style Winner mechanical watch on trial. I bought it some time ago but have only just dug it out again and decided to give it a go. It is technically a bit big for my wrist, but needs must... It has a matt black coated 45mm (not incl. canteen style crown) metal case, mineral glass crystal and stainless steel back. The movement is one of those typical cheap Chinese "automatic" calibers that grace many Chinese cheapies. I am not sure what I paid for the watch but the site hosting the picture I have used here was selling them at US$13.99, and I probably paid a little bit more than that through Amazon. I rather like the watch and prefer to have a black coated case rather than the awful over-bright and cheap-looking plating that adorns so many cheap Chinese watches. I will let you know how the watch fares on my wrist in due course: (pic from img.staticbg.com):

SKU1065882.jpg

(Pic from img.staticbg.com)

• Like 3

I had a different watch, but with that same weird two second hand thing. I removed the centre second hand, wore it for a while, then gave it to a friend about three years ago, and it's still working fine. You had to be really energetic to keep my one going though, so I think it gets manually wound now. Time keeping is about +3seconds per day. Mine cost £8 Inc post off Amazon. It had some weird name, "Beautiful View" or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im not one for the big crown look, but i do like all black watches so i`ll give it a `like`,by the sounds of it you didnt pay a lot and without seeing it in the flesh i`d say good deal....im sure you`ll let us know if it was or not in good time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could make a list of things aesthetically abhorrent about it but I have a curry night to go to :drinks:

… and what is going on with the sub and centre sweep seconds - if nothing else them being out of synchronicity would do my melon in.

but if it tells the time then the time is told, sometimes the aesthetic is in the function.

and yes, still in wales … for now

HAGWE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a winner. Movement was exfellent. Unfortunately the bezel was wobby as sin so sent it back to amazon. Think this one will be just fine :)

• Like 2

I'll test the lume tonight, Kas. And I'll be absolutely honest and say that I did not notice the fact that the watch had both a central sweep and a seconds register until I got the thing going. The watch does seem to be a bit above average in terms of overall quality than many others I have encountered where the price is ludicrous low, though a better quality strap would be needed if I were to wear the watch more regularly.:)

• Like 1

Dear @KAS118, it appears that there is no lume on the watch, I'm afraid. At least though the white markers and numbers, and the white on the hands, has been neatly executed and looks rather nice. 

Unfortunately, I have had to (temporarily?) suspend my testing of this watch. The problem is that because of the canteen screw-on cover, the actual crown is very small for the size of the watch and also has some stiffness in the winding action, leaving me unable to hand-wind the watch with my arthritic hands. The movement, like so many so-called "automatic" movements in very cheap Chinese watches, does not generate sufficient power to carry the watch through the night, even when I wear it 24 hours a day, and being unable to periodically top the power reserve up by hand-winding, it is impossible to obtain a long-term test of the watch.

18 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Dear @KAS118, it appears that there is no lume on the watch, I'm afraid. At least though the white markers and numbers, and the white on the hands, has been neatly executed and looks rather nice. 

Unfortunately, I have had to (temporarily?) suspend my testing of this watch. The problem is that because of the canteen screw-on cover, the actual crown is very small for the size of the watch and also has some stiffness in the winding action, leaving me unable to hand-wind the watch with my arthritic hands. The movement, like so many so-called "automatic" movements in very cheap Chinese watches, does not generate sufficient power to carry the watch through the night, even when I wear it 24 hours a day, and being unable to periodically top the power reserve up by hand-winding, it is impossible to obtain a long-term test of the watch.

Thanks for the information @Always"watching" - sorry to hear about your hand. I hope you'll find a way to continue to wear the watch in the near future.

• Thanks 1