• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AverageGal

My dad’s RAF watch

Hello. My dad, who died last year, joined the RAFVR (underage actually) before the outbreak of WW2. During the war he was a ‘Tail-end Charlie’ in 50 Squadron Bomber Command. He served from 1943 to 1946. He was awarded the DFM and finished as a Flight Lieutenant. I know you don’t need this info but I thought it might be interesting to you. I have his log books, medals and watch (working!) from this time. I would like to understand the markings on the back of his Omega watch and as I can’t work out how to insert a pic, I hope a description is ok.

There is a crow’s foot

Under this it says 6B/159

Under that it says A29242

Hope you can help! 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your loss, but that's a lovely story about your dad.  Hopefully you'll find the following information useful.

The crow's foot / broad arrow / pheon is used to mark government property and is often found on military issue watches and other equipment.

6B/159 denotes a pilot's or navigator's watch.

A29242 is the Issue number.

at some time after ww11,   the US  quit marking watches as gov. property.  a federal stock number was often used,  but the various services  would buy there own   ( u s navy marked watches and nikon cameras).      vin

Thank you rhaythorne and vinn. Ps I’ve just realised I put his start date of service as 1943 but he joined RAFVR before the war began. Had to put this right - he’d go bonkers!

Looking forward to seeing a pic if you can - I'd recommend spending a fiver on the sites gallery upgrade and its a piece of cake to upload your images

• Like 1

Hi Lug. Would like to share a picture but I’ve no idea how to get one on here. I was hoping it would be as easy as eBay, but can’t find an icon or indication how to do it. Oh the URL thing has popped up but my pics are just in my iPhone. 

14 hours ago, AverageGal said:

Hi Lug. Would like to share a picture but I’ve no idea how to get one on here. I was hoping it would be as easy as eBay, but can’t find an icon or indication how to do it. Oh the URL thing has popped up but my pics are just in my iPhone. 

I must admit - I have no idea how to post a photo on here if I'm on my lap-top - but if you have a Mobile or iPad then get TapTalk - it's then comparatively easy to do

16 hours ago, AverageGal said:

1 hour ago, KAS118 said:

I must admit - I have no idea how to post a photo on here if I'm on my lap-top - but if you have a Mobile or iPad then get TapTalk - it's then comparatively easy to do

• Like 1

35c263f94791fa154e82c7fe39582442.jpg50ac8b991b43e1c8b37d90dbc3457e39.jpg5d8aa56cb3413b6a677e84d703737ae4.jpg

Here’s my dad’s watch! Managed to do it with TapaTalk. Not the best pics but ok. The watch is very dirty (inside and out) but I’m sure I can get that sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great story these people deserve to be remembered. A nice watch Omega too, just keep in the family.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2019 at 12:34, AverageGal said:

Hello. My dad, who died last year, joined the RAFVR (underage actually) before the outbreak of WW2. During the war he was a ‘Tail-end Charlie’ in 50 Squadron Bomber Command. He served from 1943 to 1946. He was awarded the DFM and finished as a Flight Lieutenant. I know you don’t need this info but I thought it might be interesting to you. I have his log books, medals and watch (working!) from this time. I would like to understand the markings on the back of his Omega watch and as I can’t work out how to insert a pic, I hope a description is ok.

There is a crow’s foot

Under this it says 6B/159

Under that it says A29242

Hope you can help! 

50 Squadron!!

That's a coincidence, my dad was a rear gunner with its sister squadron 61

Respect  !!!!

Edited by Turpinr

I just love hearing stories like this. Makes me proad to be British. What these aircrew had to endure during WW2 was remarkable to say the least.

A very nice collection indeed. Something to treasure.