• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigel B

Help needed with watch cleaning

Having opened the back of a not working watch I have aquired ( Roamer Vanguard 303 )  I have found this mess, looks like the seal / gasket has disintegrated / melted and is everywhere. I have several questions as i will obviously need to dismantle the whole thing.

Roamer Vanguard 303

All stainless steel Model 802 - 5120.303

Case number inside back 311802

1. Does the movement come out of the back just by removing the stem / winder & case screws

2. What is the best way to release the power without doing damage as the mainspring appears to be fully wound

3. I have found a gasket on the parts list on cousins site case number 311802 part number x9310 but am unsure if this is the rear case gasket or the gasket for the glass can          anyone offer any guidance. If this isnt the correct gasket how are they sized, just by dimensions ?

4. Has anyone come across this sort of mess before and what is the best way to remove it other than just scraping it off 

V-5.jpg

you should read up on this basic proceedure you listed.   my favorite book is "de Carles watch repair"  you may down load off the net.  good luck,  vin

that black crap might be a sort of liquid gasket that Omega used in the 1970's too.  It gets everywhere and is a swine to clean.

Regarding gaskets, you are better to get sets of glasses and gaskets, as you will otherwise always be a little bit out and still not have the right part.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&MST_802

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, scottswatches said:

that black crap might be a sort of liquid gasket that Omega used in the 1970's too.  It gets everywhere and is a swine to clean.

Regarding gaskets, you are better to get sets of glasses and gaskets, as you will otherwise always be a little bit out and still not have the right part.

Thanks @scottswatches for the info on the liquid gasket, does that stuff set hard ? and is there a solvent that will soften it to minmise damage / scratches to the case & works. This black stuff is set like concrete.

Is there an "O"ring or gasket normally fitted at the case to back joint on waterproof watches, and are they just sourced by size ?

The ranfft info will come in very handy and I have the site book marked for future info research.  I will take your advice on the glasses & gaskets for the watches as it makes good sense, like the crown & stem you advised previously.

Thanks @vinn I'm in the process of tracking down a copy at a reasonable cost ( doesn't seem to be available for download ).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nigel B said:

Thanks @scottswatches for the info on the liquid gasket, does that stuff set hard ? and is there a solvent that will soften it to minmise damage / scratches to the case & works. This black stuff is set like concrete.

Is there an "O"ring or gasket normally fitted at the case to back joint on waterproof watches, and are they just sourced by size ?

The ranfft info will come in very handy and I have the site book marked for future info research.  I will take your advice on the glasses & gaskets for the watches as it makes good sense, like the crown & stem you advised previously.

Thanks @vinn I'm in the process of tracking down a copy at a reasonable cost ( doesn't seem to be available for download ).

that black stuff,   of that old formula o-ring was present in imported cars and motocycles. a few years back..  acetone was the only thing that would desolve it.  vin

6 hours ago, scottswatches said:

actone will desolve it.   there are other solvents too,   but are band.  vin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vinn said:

actone will desolve it.   there are other solvents too,   but are band.  vin

Thanks @vinn Acetone is readily available for me so I'll give that a go once I strip it out of the case, as I really would like to sort this and make sure its really clean before I start re-assembly and lubrication.

I remember working with a lot of those banned substances in the past some were really nasty.

49 minutes ago, Nigel B said:

Thanks @vinn Acetone is readily available for me so I'll give that a go once I strip it out of the case, as I really would like to sort this and make sure its really clean before I start re-assembly and lubrication.

I remember working with a lot of those banned substances in the past some were really nasty.

boiling  -   tri cloro  etholene -- as i rember.

• Like 1