• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watches and types of people

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It might still be on topic but... you know how dog owners can look like their dogs (or the other way round) ..is it the same for watches and their owners?

This thread has gone too weird for me... So let me make it more so by looking back to the OP; although figures are hard to nail down, I've read that around a third of people in Britain collect so

This thread has gone too weird for me...

So let me make it more so by looking back to the OP; although figures are hard to nail down, I've read that around a third of people in Britain collect something.  There are of course as many things you could collect as there are things.  Psychologists attribute various factors to the underlying reasons for collecting depending to some degree on what is being collected. 

For example, there's an element of tribalism or creating a sense of belonging, so if you support a particular football club then collecting items related to that club reinforces allegiance, being part of the tribe, enhancing a sense of belonging.  This might apply in watch collecting if you have a particularly strong liking for a brand where you might be part of an owners club, for example, thereby interacting with like-minded collectors so reinforcing your allegiance.

The more Freudian psychologists postulate a (relative) lack of attention or love in childhood (eg aloof parents, many siblings, etc) could increase the propensity to accumulate stuff as a means of asserting self - your identity - creating your own 'universe'.  It's suggested that this continues into adulthood.

What I have seen proven in research in the world of marketing is the tendency for people to have greater liking for things they own, because they own them.  This works at brand level and for specific models/types.  It also applies to awareness and recognition.  So, if you've bought a Seiko, you are more likely to mention Seiko (unprompted and prompted awareness) and to have noticed advertising for Seiko (after the purchase).  This propensity varies broadly in relation to the to the degree interaction and engagement with what's been bought, itself a reflection of a wide range of factors such as price, value, for what and how often the buyer uses the item, its social value and so on...

I think it's fair to say we're all pretty engaged with watches or else we wouldn't be here.

Whether you're bothered about hands lining up with batons or some other dial issue may be less a matter of OCD, which is a specific disorder don't forget, and more to do with the expectations of the brand/price/quality/VFM trade-off in the context of your perceived expectation of acceptable 'quality', all other things being equal.

And none of this stays constant for any individual during their lifetime...

I could drone on, but basically we are all different and it's about what matters to you. :thumbs_up:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

basically we are all different and it's about what matters to you. :thumbs_up:

I used to see this guy most Sunday mornings, pearlescent Range Rover, same teeth, orange tan. Always wore a bi-metal Daytona with his sleeves rolled up, whatever the weather. He possibly had a different reason to ownership than me.

One of the Kickstarters I'm following had a vibrant comments section, full of Watch People. I am genuinely concerned they/we might be the worst people in the world to deal with.

One guy was talking to the creator like a child, demanding an apology in  'professional complainer' format after the survey was a few days late (if it's one of you, I'm sorry but you sound like a complete ****** mate :laugh:), teary disappointment that the stretch goals weren't what they decided they were getting, other people expressing their NEED to see a meteorite dial option that hasn't been made yet and will all be different anyway because it's a piece of flipping meteorite... All on a watch they're paying about 300 for depending on the choice of movement.

The KS itself is relatively smooth, These people are just awful.

Edited by ry ry