• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watches and types of people

I had a nice relaxed hour to myself and watched the George Daniels film on amazon prime.  What came across was not only what a charachter George seemed, but the attention to detail and patience of both him and roger.

If anything I’m completely the other way, I walked to the pub last night and glanced at my new Christopher ward purchased from the sales corner. I noticed the logo is at nine o’clock and the space at twelve seemed a “little empty”  I promptly forgot about it and it will not bother me in the slightest but reading some posts on here I’d imagine many would have to offload.   

Do watches tend to attract the ocd types or is it a mixed bag?

I bought my son a tissot for his sixteenth and he noticed the hands were not falling spot on the numbers.   I’ll wear a watch for days and  not even have the correct date .

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It might still be on topic but... you know how dog owners can look like their dogs (or the other way round) ..is it the same for watches and their owners?

This thread has gone too weird for me... So let me make it more so by looking back to the OP; although figures are hard to nail down, I've read that around a third of people in Britain collect so

Collecting stuff in general tends to attract slightly more obsessive characters. Be that action figures, film memorabilia, autographs, football programmes, and especially watches.

Then again...

connoisseur.png

Pretty much sums up my feelings about this :D

Watches also has a weird element of reverse snobbery, where people fall over themselves to praise arguably very mediocre affordable watches, cheap nylon straps, so on and so forth - presumably to signal that they are not infact snobby anally retentive connoisseurs but woke watch wizards, and somehow not liking a Seiko 5 or an Amphibia shows a lack of appreciation for the finer points of horology.

They are all just jewellery anyway, and if I'm being honest with myself some of the watches I own were bought largely because I felt that it was the right thing to do, rather than desperately wanting a badly finished Russian diver with an interesting origin story or whatever.

17 minutes ago, ry ry said:

Collecting stuff in general tends to attract slightly more obsessive characters. Be that action figures, film memorabilia, autographs, football programmes, and especially watches.

Then again...

connoisseur.png

Pretty much sums up my feelings about this :D

Watches also has a weird element of reverse snobbery, where people fall over themselves to praise arguably very mediocre affordable watches, cheap nylon straps, so on and so forth - presumably to signal that they are not infact snobby anally retentive connoisseurs but woke watch wizards, and somehow not liking a Seiko 5 or an Amphibia shows a lack of appreciation for the finer points of horology.

They are all just elaborate jewellery anyway, and if I'm being honest with myself some of the watches I own were bought largely because I felt that it was the right thing to do, or that it was some kind of right off passage rather than desperately wanting a badly finished Russian diver with an interesting origin story, or whatever.

Edit. Well I've completely mangled that post by accidentally merging a quote rather than editing it :sign_wtf:

Edited by ry ry
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ry ry said:

I felt that it was the right thing to do,

I know what you mean, I put my name down for the next batch of 39mm Steinharts.  I'm not even a 'diver' person lol, I just got sucked in.  I came to my senses and bought a couple of tachymeter chronos instead (I like my chronos - column wheel, cam, mechaquartz, split seconds ...

• Haha 1

if you are asking why im into watches? and what type of person i am in terms of ocd as its called these days and being a bit mental as it used to be called. Im into them i think because my dad used to get me them and LCD's were just coming in in the late 70's and it was a status symbol for a kid in school to have a watch that lit up with an alarm. Status symbol as in like having a new bike it got your mates into the same thing and it was something to play with. But really its a nostalgic thing as i get older theres something about watches that captures that for me. In terms of am i ocd, probably not more not bothered if its a bit battered as long as its evocative and sensible quality that the working man would consider a sensible tool to wear as part of his normal wage packet, not cheap and definitely not stupidly expensive just solid blue collar skilled working class sort of thing that a normal bloke would have.  

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 3

I've often wondered about this as I have a sort of collecting streak which I inherited from my Dad who became an inveterate hoarder in later life. Unfortunately most of his stuff including his 100s of watches were fairly cheap tat so having to sort this all out after his demise altered my view of collecting. 

With hindsight I believe this is what led to a change in my watch collecting, favouring perceived quality over quantity and disposing of my fairly substantial vintage collection. 

To be honest I'm a bit fussy with watches and other things so happy to flip stuff that doesn't match up to my expectations or longer term likes. Luckily this hasn't extended to life partners (yet).. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Laughing gravy said:

Do watches tend to attract the ocd types or is it a mixed bag?

From comments on here over the last few years, I would say a mixed bag. I can understand anyone being put off by hands that do not hit the markers or chapter rings out of alignment and would not consider them to be OCD.

IMHO OCD kicks in when you can only notices these imperfections when looking through a loupe or magnifying glass - same if a photo is posted to show the imperfection but to ensure we can see the fault the photo has been magnified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, richy176 said:

From comments on here over the last few years, I would say a mixed bag. I can understand anyone being put off by hands that do not hit the markers or chapter rings out of alignment and would not consider them to be OCD.

IMHO OCD kicks in when you can only notices these imperfections when looking through a loupe or magnifying glass - same if a photo is posted to show the imperfection but to ensure we can see the fault the photo has been magnified.

I guess everyone has their peculiarities with watches and what they can and can not tolerate. It's not always logical either. I have a few weird OCD-ish things with watches that are illogical but I just can't ignore them. But then again there are other things about watches which I know would annoy others who are also "fussy" but for some reason I am fine with !? 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, bridgeman said:

you know how dog owners can look like their dogs (or the other way round) ..is it the same for watches and their owners?

8193dtpTEXS._UX342_.jpg

:whistle:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1