• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Seiko 7t42 6A00

Maybe a ray of hope @Nigelp but don't get too excited...

Last week I bought a load of watches from ebay for £27. All knackered and it was a dreadful photo, but there was a bi-metal solar which I gambled on being the fairly scarce charcoal dial model, and then doubled-down on it just needing a new capacitor.  (it was, and it did).    :money-mouth-face:   :teethsmile:

That aside, I've just rummaged through the rest and found this - a 7T42-6A00.   
Your model is the black dial all steel SDX007, mine is the white dial, all steel but blue bezel SDX009  (there is also a bi-metal model with gold dial, SDX008).

Mine is goosed. It is battered and bruised and has been worn by a welder clearly as it has weld-spots burned into the glass - not the first time I've seen that to be fair.
I popped a battery in this one and it started ticking. Good start.
The hour hand was stuck - it appeared to be bent down slightly so I took the movement out and straightened it out - perfect.

Now the bad news. Sitting down?
When I took the movement out the sub-dial hands (seconds, chrono and one of the alarm hands) dropped off and I have absolutely no idea where they are. They aren't in the watch and they definitely aren't on my workbench, I have stripped it twice this afternoon looking for them!
The alarm tone is there but it is very very quiet, no idea how to boost that.
The bracelet is full length, but the clasp is snapped clean in half.

Long story short, you have a nice watch with a knackered movement, I have a knackered watch with what appears to be a working movement.   Wanna flip a coin??     :evil9kf:      :laugh: :teethsmile: :laugh:  :teethsmile:

I'm joking of course.  Fire me your address and I'll send you this one. You'll just need to find a watch-bodger who'll put this movement in for you.
Worst case scenario, there are three spare links in this one you can save.

DSC07056.jpg

DSC07057.jpg

DSC07058.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kevkojak said:

Maybe a ray of hope @Nigelp but don't get too excited...

Last week I bought a load of watches from ebay for £27. All knackered and it was a dreadful photo, but there was a bi-metal solar which I gambled on being the fairly scarce charcoal dial model, and then doubled-down on it just needing a new capacitor.  (it was, and it did).    :money-mouth-face:   :teethsmile:

That aside, I've just rummaged through the rest and found this - a 7T42-6A00.   
Your model is the black dial all steel SDX007, mine is the white dial, all steel but blue bezel SDX009  (there is also a bi-metal model with gold dial, SDX008).

Mine is goosed. It is battered and bruised and has been worn by a welder clearly as it has weld-spots burned into the glass - not the first time I've seen that to be fair.
I popped a battery in this one and it started ticking. Good start.
The hour hand was stuck - it appeared to be bent down slightly so I took the movement out and straightened it out - perfect.

Now the bad news. Sitting down?
When I took the movement out the sub-dial hands (seconds, chrono and one of the alarm hands) dropped off and I have absolutely no idea where they are. They aren't in the watch and they definitely aren't on my workbench, I have stripped it twice this afternoon looking for them!
The alarm tone is there but it is very very quiet, no idea how to boost that.
The bracelet is full length, but the clasp is snapped clean in half.

Long story short, you have a nice watch with a knackered movement, I have a knackered watch with what appears to be a working movement.   Wanna flip a coin??     :evil9kf:      :laugh: :teethsmile: :laugh:  :teethsmile:

I'm joking of course.  Fire me your address and I'll send you this one. You'll just need to find a watch-bodger who'll put this movement in for you.
Worst case scenario, there are three spare links in this one you can save.

DSC07056.jpg

DSC07057.jpg

DSC07058.jpg

thats very kind of you Kev! But i wouldnt know where to start in finding someone to fix it up. I'll tell you what in return for all your help recently I'll send you mine free and if you can get it fixed you can either keep it for yourself if you like it, or offer it up as some sort of prize on the forum. Its up to you let me know what you think? PM me if you want to keep your decision off the forum, but either way its yours free if you want it, as a thanks. Cheers Nigel. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not a watchmaker Nigel and definitely not up for swapping movements, but there are some talented bar-stewards on here....let's tag this in the "repairs" Sub section and see if any kind soul is willing to combine the two watches for charity. I'm happy to auction off whatever comes out of it.  Half for the forum running costs and half to a kids charity?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

I'm not a watchmaker Nigel and definitely not up for swapping movements, but there are some talented bar-stewards on here....let's tag this in the "repairs" Sub section and see if any kind soul is willing to combine the two watches for charity. I'm happy to auction off whatever comes out of it.  Half for the forum running costs and half to a kids charity?

Yep that sounds like a great idea Kev! I'll hang onto it then until someone or if someone wants to take it on and then send it direct to them? Or do you want me to send it you right away? I will at my cost if thats what you prefer?

let me know how you want to organise it. Cheers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kevkojak said:

Last week I bought a load of watches from ebay for £27.

I was watching two job lots of broken Seiko watches, 10 in each. They both went for over £200. :(

• Haha 1

@Nigelp Nige...why not have a go at swapping the movements yourself...you only have to remove the two crowns to do this and I've shown this before...on a 7T32 movement.

First, pull out the main crown to the first click, then gently press the lever in the hole indicated below while gently pulling on the stem....only apply enough pressure to allow the stem to come out, you don't need to go nuts.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

The alarm crown is done exactly the same...pull out to first click, and press here...

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Once the two crowns are out, the module should come out. If you need to clean crud out from under the pushers, remove the tiny 'C' clips and take the pushers out...don't lose the springs and any washers. You will need to apply a tiny smear of silicone grease to the rubber stem seals before replacing in the case, same with the crown seals.

Seiko 6M25-6000.

Seiko 6M25-6000.

At the end of the day, you might as well have a go...its not rocket science, and you will have learnt how to take a module out which will be invaluable for future projects, or just to clean up a dirty watch of someone elses DNA. Practice on a duff module before trying on a working (and possibly rare) one. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@Nigelp Nige...why not have a go at swapping the movements yourself...you only have to remove the two crowns to do this and I've shown this before...on a 7T32 movement.

First, pull out the main crown to the first click, then gently press the lever in the hole indicated below while gently pulling on the stem....only apply enough pressure to allow the stem to come out, you don't need to go nuts.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

The alarm crown is done exactly the same...pull out to first click, and press here...

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Once the two crowns are out, the module should come out. If you need to clean crud out from under the pushers, remove the tiny 'C' clips and take the pushers out...don't lose the springs and any washers. You will need to apply a tiny smear of silicone grease to the rubber stem seals before replacing in the case, same with the crown seals.

Seiko 6M25-6000.

Seiko 6M25-6000.

At the end of the day, you might as well have a go...its not rocket science, and you will have learnt how to take a module out which will be invaluable for future projects, or just to clean up a dirty watch of someone elses DNA. Practice on a duff module before trying on a working (and possibly rare) one. :thumbsup:

i could have a go but im wondering if there is someone who is likely to be more successful than me, im ok with big things like cars, but im clumsy and left handed and i dont think i can get those tiny bits back together properly? I will have a go if no one else turns up? Roger do you fancy trying it? What if i send you my watch and kev sends you his? No pressure if it doesnt work at least weve given it our best shot. If it does work, we can donate the watch to the forum and the proceeds distributed as per kev's @kevkojak's suggestion. What you think roger? If you are willing to have a try i can either send the watch directly to you or send it kev to send you let me know cheers Nigel. 

My watch really is in nice condition and much better than the pictures which highlight all the hair lines suggest. its easily an 8/10 for a vintage watch, no dings, no tool marks, mint dial and hands and bracelet is excellent. I think you are our best option @Roger the Dodger of at least a chance of getting it going and like i say if all fails so what we've done our best. 

11 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Roger do you fancy trying it?

I have a very strict rule, Nigel...as I'm only a tinkerer myself, I NEVER play around with anyone else's watch. If I damage one of my own, that's OK, but I won't risk damaging someone else's. My efforts on friends watches end at doing battery swaps. If you do fancy a go, I've got a duff 7T32-7F70 module you can have FOC and you can play with it to your hearts content. Just PM me your addy and I'll send it to you if you like. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

@Nigelp deals off mate - I left mine on test yesterday with a new battery and it stopped around 6 this morning.

I still suspect it's the hands sticking or touching each other, but for now I'm calling it a dud and in the spares box it goes.   It'll end up on ebay at some point for next to nothing.  Apologies.

5 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I have a very strict rule, Nigel...as I'm only a tinkerer myself, I NEVER play around with anyone else's watch. If I damage one of my own, that's OK, but I won't risk damaging someone else's. My efforts on friends watches end at doing battery swaps. If you do fancy a go, I've got a duff 7T32-7F70 module you can have FOC and you can play with it to your hearts content. Just PM me your addy and I'll send it to you if you like. :thumbsup:

ok rog sounds sensible i think simon has offered? I need to view the other thread. 

Just now, kevkojak said:

@Nigelp deals off mate - I left mine on test yesterday with a new battery and it stopped around 6 this morning.

I still suspect it's the hands sticking or touching each other, but for now I'm calling it a dud and in the spares box it goes.   It'll end up on ebay at some point for next to nothing.  Apologies.

thats ok kev, no probls mate. 

• Sad 1

thanks everyone for their efforts i'm going to let this lie, its going to cause everyone more hassle than its worth with the time involved, thanks all. Nigel 

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Seiko 6M25-6000.

Seiko 6M25-6000.

i'll have a go

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigelp said:

i'll have a go

Good lad! ...and remember, I still have a duffer if you need it to practice on...just let me know. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

then gently press the lever in the hole 

I wish I'd had that advice before I wrecked my 7546.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, if its pressed to hard it seems when you put it back in the date wheel doesnt engage, yeh ask me how i know, not to worry. I couldn't get the small subdial hands to go back on either, no matter how i tried. So there was little hope for it really. Never the less it gave me a few much needed links for my t34 and ive a spare bracelet and end links now. Ive stripped it for parts basically which might come in useful. The movement didnt have anything worth saving. My conclusion was its been damp or wet. Never the less for 20 quid it was well worth it for the links and bracelet alone.