• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watchmakers' Club in London tommorrow

4 minutes ago, gimli said:

How far is it from Bucharest, Romania ? Can I get there by subway ? :biggrin:

Of course you can. 

Same way as football fans made it from London to Baku last week. Just involves changing a couple of times  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, gimli said:

But some of those football fans returned their tickets because the distance was too far. :( At least that's what it said on the news...

Football fans are not known for their intelligence here in the UK.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Football fans are not known for their intelligence here in the UK.... 

Graeme Le Saux was nicknamed 'the professor' by his Chelsea teammates because somebody saw him reading a book once.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, ry ry said:

Graeme Le Saux was nicknamed 'the professor' by his Chelsea teammates because somebody saw him reading a book once.

Actually ... all pi55 taking aside about footballers... I used to mix through my businesses with Saints players in the 90s and Iain Dowie and I had an amazing chat about physics and chemistry .... He has to be the most intelligent footballer/ex-footballer/pundit on the planet. He was actually talking about differentials and integrals as applied to the science of free kicks.... this was at a charity do in Hampshire when Le Tiss chipped in taking the mick stating that the viscosity of ketchup was his speciality. I was amazed and asked Dowie was a footballer .... I never got a proper answer.

Back to the topic (boringly) . . . . . .

I, seemingly, will be alone amongst our membership. So, I'll mix with the TZ-ers, and report back.

Wish me luck  :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, a little report (with bad photos, but I hope you will get the drift).

The Watchmakers' Club is organized by David Brailsford of Garrick watches. Its mission seems to be to allow watch manufacturers (small to micro) and enthusiasts to interact in a relaxed manner. Many watches are on display, and you can fondle them and try them on whilst talking to people close to their conception. There are no locked cabinets, everything is simply laid out for you.

Manufacturers showing their wares yesterday were:

• Andreas Strehler
  • Armin Strom
  • Cyrus
  • Czapek
  • Dornblüth & Sohn
  • Fabergé
  • Fears
  • Garrick
  • GoS
  • HYT
  • Lonville
  • Louis Moinet
  • Meistersinger
  • Moritz Grossmann
  • QLOCKTWO
  • Schwarz Etienne
  • Zeitwinkel

I'm biased, as I already own watches from Dornblüth, Grossmann and MeisterSinger, so I inevitably spent time with them (particularly Dirk Dornblüth, who is a completely open and very down-to-earth gentleman, and Robin Young (the UK agent for Grossmann)).

Outside of that, I was impressed by the commitment of Garrick. Their guilloché dials are beautiful, and the proprietary movement (designed in conjunction with Andreas Strehler) is quite special. I much prefer their dauphine hands to their "Garrick" anchors, but that is just personal. I continue to dislike the exposed balance wheel (again personal  --  and apparently optional).

I tried on some offerings from Zeitwinkel. Interesting, but not sufficiently to tempt.

Most interesting was a long chat with Xavier de Roquemaurel, the CEO of Czapek. I'm a complete sucker for the concept of "modern interpretation of pocket watch small enough to strap to the wrist" (hence my predilection for MG, Dornblüth and Unitas), and Czapek seems also to be a disciple. The Aqua Blue is a truly gorgeous piece (and has definitely gone into the hat).

And, of course, I also had the chance to dream by trying on Herr Strehler's Tourbillon. Looks so much better in the metal than in photos.

All in all, very enjoyable. A very good balance between the number of exhibitors and the punters. Chance to talk to some very interesting folk indeed.

Here are the required photos. Apologies for the quality . . . . . .

ZsKYVvb.jpg

7VousNM.jpg

fLjvTuQ.jpg

6hcxE9L.jpg

Qqach4c.jpg

lg5dreQ.jpg

uzNTv9S.jpg

x0VYpm4.jpg

ydQjavB.jpg

GE0591N.jpg

erqhApr.jpg

Q9Iv1bR.jpg

xEOS1P2.jpg

KHp3D5V.jpg

okZF9dl.jpg

qlFkp7Q.jpg

YZpVjCx.jpg

PUa3vIG.jpg

w0TWuvK.jpg

wdAboVH.jpg

qhaFZ9D.jpg

jMUpNkT.jpg

HtxRYMi.jpg

4sNgud7.jpg

1sOnfoJ.jpg

Edited by yokel
  • Thanks 9
19 minutes ago, ry ry said:

Is there one for questionable Kickstarter watches and shoddy entry level divers?

If there is one, my name hasn't made the list :(

You could always start one up :yes:

A few more thoughts  --  aka things I forgot to mention . . .

--  The MG "Cornerstone" with the Art Deco multi-level dial (pictured next to the loupe) is a thing of rare beauty. Sometimes they just get it right.

--  Unlike many brands with up-market pretension, Czapek make most of their watches available with steel cases. It means that ordinary mortals perhaps have to sell only one kidney in order to possess "guilloché main".

--  the MeisterSinger moon-phase implementation is gorgeous (CW-ish), but they seem to put that module only on an ETA automatic movement which is much too small for the case :(

Great report and pics! Pity it was held in what appears a windowless basement!

Did you view the Armin Strom resonance watches by any chance? I love the concept and execution of the more traditional watch shape offerings.

HYT have a showroom in Bangkok, on the 2nd floor of a mall where they also sell rollers, Aston Martins and so on. Their showroom is next to McLaren cars. I prefer the single car that's exhibited there to any HYT watches!

Edited by Caller.
53 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Great report and pics! Pity it was held in what appears a windowless basement!

Did you view the Armin Strom resonance watches by any chance? I love the concept and execution of the more traditional watch shape offerings.

HYT have a showroom in Bangkok, on the 2nd floor of a mall where they also sell rollers, Aston Martins and so on. Their showroom is next to McLaren cars. I prefer the single car that's exhibited there to any HYT watches!

Phil

Yes, natural light was in relatively short supply. But there was plenty of artificial light.

I didn't spend time with either Armin Strom or Louis Moinet. I tend to be rather conservative in my tastes, and their watches give me the impression who is trying just a little bit too hard to be different. To my eye, most of their watches just look messy (whereas the similarly open Strehler offerings are just plain beautiful). Personal taste, of course.

I spent considerable time with the nice people from HYT, and even tried one of their 51mm (but lugless) diameter and 20mm high offerings on my wrist. I was mainly trying to understand why anyone would do what they do. I failed. They look interesting, but I came away with the same view that I hold about the Zeitwerk from ALS  --  just because something is technically possible does not mean it's the right thing to do.

Also, you are getting into F P Journe price territory with the first two of those brands (and I know where my money would go), and for the price of the HYT H2O you can have a Strehler :rolleyes:.

Maybe I'm missing something :(

Edited by yokel
2 minutes ago, yokel said:

just because something is technically possible does not mean it's the right thing to do.

"Your horologists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

d6e5b0cf579d400ed48f5813dea929af.jpg

Words of wisdom.

15 minutes ago, yokel said:

I didn't spend time with either Armin Strom or Louis Moinet. I tend to be rather conservative in my tastes, and their watches give me the impression who is trying just a little bit too hard to be different. To my eye, most of their watches just look messy (whereas the similarly open Strehler offerings are just plain beautiful). Personal taste, of course.

I agree, they are different, and also that it's all about personal taste, but I really like what Strom have created with the mirrored resonance. I'd just like to see one in the flesh, so I'm eager to get feedback where I can! I think I could sell my whole collection and then beg some more to buy one, mind you, I feel the same about some versions of the MBF legacy watch! 

Oh well, the desire is there, if not the means!

mirrored-force-resoncance-guilloche-dial

• Haha 1