• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
r1ch

Quick Refinishing Tip

Afternoon all..

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but thought it was a decent tip and so would pass it one. Mods shift it somewhere else if more appropriate :)

I've tried refinishing the brushed look on some of my watches using very fine Wet 'n' Dry paper, and the "green scourer" pad trick. To be fair, I've had some pretty decent results, although getting a very fine finish is often quite tricky and time consuming. I recently heard of using a pencil eraser, (or "rubber" as we used to call them at School in my day ;) ) and logged it away under "must try sometime". I was in Banbury shopping on Saturday and so bought one to have a go. The bit you need to use is the coarse half meant for erasing biro ink and the like. Below is a, (not all that great), shot of my RLT16 having been treated to a tickle up via this method..

IPB Image

The results are good, I'd say. You need to use a bit of pressure and are best to brush in one direction only. The end result is a very fine finish rather akin to a factory brushed finish on say a 007 or such like. Its quite a controllable method,since being a smallish "block" held between fingers you can see quite well where you are rubbing, rather than with Wet and Dry where the paper itself can obscure the bit of the watch you are working on.

So, I'd say well worth a go if you feel the need to smarten up the finish on a watch or two.

Better be off..

Rich

Afternoon all..

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but thought it was a decent tip and so would pass it one. Mods shift it somewhere else if more appropriate :)

I've tried refinishing the brushed look on some of my watches using very fine Wet 'n' Dry paper, and the "green scourer" pad trick. To be fair, I've had some pretty decent results, although getting a very fine finish is often quite tricky and time consuming. I recently heard of using a pencil eraser, (or "rubber" as we used to call them at School in my day ;) ) and logged it away under "must try sometime". I was in Banbury shopping on Saturday and so bought one to have a go. The bit you need to use is the coarse half meant for erasing biro ink and the like. Below is a, (not all that great), shot of my RLT16 having been treated to a tickle up via this method..

IPB Image

The results are good, I'd say. You need to use a bit of pressure and are best to brush in one direction only. The end result is a very fine finish rather akin to a factory brushed finish on say a 007 or such like. Its quite a controllable method,since being a smallish "block" held between fingers you can see quite well where you are rubbing, rather than with Wet and Dry where the paper itself can obscure the bit of the watch you are working on.

So, I'd say well worth a go if you feel the need to smarten up the finish on a watch or two.

Better be off..

Rich

Did you treat the whole of the case or just a small area? If it was the latter, does the refinished satin effect blend in so as to be indistinguishable from the original? I did mention in an earlier thread that I polished out a scratch on the side of a lug using very fine wet & dry paper, then went over it with some toothpaste on cotton wool. It's pretty reasonable but the treated area has been left with rather more of a mirrored finish than the rest, and when it catches the light you can see that the fine lines in the satin effect are not as even as the original.

Your results looks good from the photo. I might give it a go myself.

Got me thinking that, what about trying a model train track cleaning rubber? Desigend specifically for cleaning S/S and brass without leaving scratches on the surface and has the composition of a hard pencil/biro eraser..........just a thought......then again I tend to use a fibre glass pencil on brushed steel.

Best regards David

Got me thinking that, what about trying a model train track cleaning rubber? Desigend specifically for cleaning S/S and brass without leaving scratches on the surface and has the composition of a hard pencil/biro eraser..........just a thought......then again I tend to use a fibre glass pencil on brushed steel.

Best regards David

Where can one get hold of these, please?

Best regards David

Where can one get hold of these, please?

Sorry for the delay......any model train shop will sell these, easily available un the PECO trade mark, just look or ask for track cleaning rubber. I had one somewhere and will have to dig it out to see how it works.

Best regards David

I have found by chance when trying to restore my wifes stainless watch which had become lightly scratched on the bottom of the bracelet that "Astonish" a kitchen cleaner paste product if used in one direction on damp cloth leaves a nice fine burnish.

It can remove small surface scratches.

The finish is not shiny like brasso but a fine matt finish very nice even if I say so myself.

Guest Timetraveller

Afternoon all..

rubber.jpg

Better be off..

Rich

Brave man ,i try not to sand my RLT"s mate ;)

Guest Timetraveller

For different grades of graining there's also Garryflex

Useful info mate ;) :D

I have found by chance when trying to restore my wifes stainless watch which had become lightly scratched on the bottom of the bracelet that "Astonish" a kitchen cleaner paste product if used in one direction on damp cloth leaves a nice fine burnish.

The finish is not shiny like brasso but a fine matt finish very nice even if I say so myself.

Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip

For Satin finnish use a fibre brush for cleaning electronics, available from maplin, about £6. last for years. first a fine wet and dry to remove any damage. To finnish use a little car polish. The original sandblast subtle shine is restored. I have noticed that some members have sandblasted cases, try a little car polish and be amazed. The Polymer will also protect the case from further scratches.

have used the scotch bright, it works well, also used little brass wire wheels that fit into a dremel drill, which also comes with polishing buff for highly polished areas, just using braso, it works wonders,

the dremels are about £30 on ebay or so,

hours of endless fun !

cheers

scott

Got me thinking that, what about trying a model train track cleaning rubber? Desigend specifically for cleaning S/S and brass without leaving scratches on the surface and has the composition of a hard pencil/biro eraser....

Ah, yes I remember these from my train set days - good thinking Barryboy!