• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Jonesinamillion

Oris - Big crown pointer and 65 Divers

Tried both on yesterday (4 watches / variants in total).. all stunning!

The pointer brass being particularly nice.

Both perfect in every way, especially when worn... Really underestimated weatches.

Can justify neither, want both, may end up with one.

Edited by Jonesinamillion

i tried on the 65 last weekend ..stunning watch. It was just "not quite me" but for the money Oris are no brainers for those after heritage appeal with some modern thrown in. If they ditched their bespoke lugs for the Aquis range then they would be a huge brand in the UK. It's an open source of frustration that last point from almost every AD I have mentioned it to.....  The Big crown pointer is a real collectors watch and has huge wrist presence .... however of the two I would say the 65 Diver would be the one to buy if your collection is of modest size , a toss up between the two if you collection is considerable .... and BOTH if you are nuts as I think you possibly may be .... :clap:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

i tried on the 65 last weekend ..stunning watch. It was just "not quite me" but for the money Oris are no brainers for those after heritage appeal with some modern thrown in. If they ditched their bespoke lugs for the Aquis range then they would be a huge brand in the UK. It's an open source of frustration that last point from almost every AD I have mentioned it to.....  The Big crown pointer is a real collectors watch and has huge wrist presence .... however of the two I would say the 65 Diver would be the one to buy if your collection is of modest size , a toss up between the two if you collection is considerable .... and BOTH if you are nuts as I think you possibly may be .... :clap:

The topic of those Aquis lugs crop up so often in reviews, im not a strap changer so im fine with mine but its understandably a scource of great frustration for many, otherwise fantastic watches that dont try too hard because they dont need to.

5 minutes ago, sabailand said:

The topic of those Aquis lugs crop up so often in reviews, im not a strap changer so im fine with mine but its understandably a scource of great frustration for many, otherwise fantastic watches that dont try too hard because they dont need to.

I was 90% there buying an Aquis but the lugs just stopped me. Not that I personally would have been changing straps on it .. more that I realised that I just really like traditional lugs on steel watches.    I can see how the Oris bespoke lug design is attractive to some but its not for me. I will own an Oris one day though .... almost sure of it .... 

• Like 2

I have an older big crown pointer date, and love it, great for many situations too. The 65 is a beauty and would edge it if I was buying... unless I could afford both of course!!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

The big crown pointer was awesome (green dial, brass case, leather strap). Felt ssooo special and wears like nothing else I've ever tried on... Just oozes class and to be honest, seems exceptional VFM (I wouldn't have the date). Not a daily wear imho but something a bit special.

The 65 I liked was on brown leather and gold edge to the bezel... The hands & markers stood out as one of the main features BUT the domed crystal / side profile is to die for. 

Pleasing to see that both had quick release straps too..

Walked out with neither watch and gritted teeth but I may be keeping an eye on online sales / discount codes etc.... 

Ive got the 42mm Oris 65.........Love it too! 

I did have the 40mm Oris 65............but I  found it a wee bit too small....so flipped it.

Ive also had a big crown Oris...but again flipped it....as I found it....yeah! a wee bit too small!

I think Oris do great watches at a decent price, quite under estimated I reckon.

• Like 2

i have this 40mm big crown pointer the fit and finish on it is second to none,never seen a 65 in the flesh so cant comment on them...8fvahHP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mind made up, I've had 4 pints of Estrella and I'm taking the plunge tonight (Jura, in stock, 10% discount)...

Still don't know which but I think the 65 is edging it.... The big crown is sooooo different to anything I own tho!

4 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Mind made up, I've had 4 pints of Estrella and I'm taking the plunge tonight (Jura, in stock, 10% discount)...

Still don't know which but I think the 65 is edging it.... The big crown is sooooo different to anything I own tho!

might i suggest you have another couple of pints, then you simply need to decide how quickly you want both to arrive.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

The big crown is sooooo different to anything I own tho!

Be a devil, go for it. It's good to be different. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did it... Had an overwhelming urge at dinner that I needed to buy this watch.

Popped up to Fraser heart in the Trafford centre, tried a few, served by knowledgeable staff, good down payment, 10% off and the rest on interest free credit for 6 months (I'd rather keep my money in my bank!).

IMG_20190614_185504

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonesinamillion said:

IMG_20190614_185504

Stop teasing ! Let's see what you bought then.

• Haha 2

when i hear the words 'oris big crown pointer' it always makes me titter a bit, school boy humour and all that.

Image result for man with condom on head

On 09/06/2019 at 11:18, WRENCH said:

I do like my 36mm Big Crown very much.

large.20170219_093634_kindlephoto-698108.jpg.dd0f982661f4f34514c8badf0aa55e74.jpg

i'll bet

@BondandBigM im suprised you ain't got one!

• Like 2

On 09/06/2019 at 17:16, JonnyOldBoy said:

I was 90% there buying an Aquis but the lugs just stopped me. Not that I personally would have been changing straps on it .. more that I realised that I just really like traditional lugs on steel watches.    I can see how the Oris bespoke lug design is attractive to some but its not for me. I will own an Oris one day though .... almost sure of it .... 

big crown pointer is attractive to some especially in 36mm! They are proud of them!

On 09/06/2019 at 12:02, JonnyOldBoy said:

Misread your post then, thought you had tried on 65 watches, nobody is that fussy

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

What's the plural of Oris out of curiosity?...  Orises? Ori?

The plural or Oris .... is  .... Oris.

Now where is this watch(s) !?!?

We are patient but after all our finger effort on this thread .... you OWE us .... :laugh:

• Haha 1