Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

Today I Bought .....

Recommended Posts

The new workbench arrived today...superb service in the prevailing circumstances, as only ordered last week. Nicely packaged, and really simple to put together (as long as you have an impact screwdriver) Took half an hour to assemble, but another hour moving stuff around  to accommodate, plus fitting the vice, which involved fitting additional strengthening below the top deck.

As arrived.

Workbench.

Putting together...

Workbench.

Fully assembled...

Workbench.

4" Record engineers vice fitted...this involved adding extra strengthening below the 19mm MDF deck...another 19mm of engineering ply.

Workbench.

Other stuff to be added as and when...

Workbench.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

The new workbench arrived today...superb service in the prevailing circumstances, as only ordered last week. Nicely packaged, and really simple to put together (as long as you have an impact screwdriver) Took half an hour to assemble, but another hour moving stuff around  to accommodate, plus fitting the vice, which involved fitting additional strengthening below the top deck.

As arrived.

Workbench.

Putting together...

Workbench.

Fully assembled...

Workbench.

4" Record engineers vice fitted...this involved adding extra strengthening below the 19mm MDF deck...another 19mm of engineering ply.

Workbench.

Other stuff to be added as and when...

Workbench.

 

I do like Record gear, especially the vices but the stilsons are top tackle too.:thumbsup:

Nice bench too Roger 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Other stuff to be added as and when...

The Champagne by the vice to celebrate a job well done? :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

The Champagne by the vice to celebrate a job well done? :tongue:

That's stockpiling, Mike...only two bottles allowed.

44 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I do like Record gear, especially the vices but the stilsons are top tackle too.:thumbsup:

Nice bench too Roger 

I used Record gear all my engineering life. When I worked at BroomWade, the famous compressor manufacturers, I had a 6" Record vice with an anvil behind it on my bench. These days, now retired, a 4" vice will suffice. I still have a selection of Record 'Stilson' wrenches from the tiny 8", through the 12", 18" and 24". I can borrow a 36" from a friend if I really need it...:laughing2dw:. I'm still contemplating buying either a Clarke drill press, or the more expensive Record Power version. Now I'm retired and it would only be used a couple of times a year, I think the sensible option is the cheaper Clarke drill.

The bench was from an online company who specialise in cut timber products. I could have easily sourced and bought the timber from Wickes or Travis Perkins, but I would have had to buy a complete sheet of MDF and standard lengths of 4"x2", plus pay a delivery charge, then cut it all to size with the inevitable wastage. This was supplied cut to size with all screws required, for less than I could source it for. All treated softwood legs and rails as well (not the MDF decks, but I will seal them myself)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

That's stockpiling, Mike...only two bottles allowed.

I used Record gear all my engineering life. When I worked at BroomWade, the famous compressor manufacturers, I had a 6" Record vice with an anvil behind it on my bench. These days, now retired, a 4" vice will suffice. I still have a selection of Record 'Stilson' wrenches from the tiny 8", through the 12", 18" and 24". I can borrow a 36" from a friend if I really need it...:laughing2dw:. I'm still contemplating buying either a Clarke drill press, or the more expensive Record Power version. Now I'm retired and it would only be used a couple of times a year, I think the sensible option is the cheaper Clarke drill.

The bench was from an online company who specialise in cut timber products. I could have easily sourced and bought the timber from Wickes or Travis Perkins, but I would have had to buy a complete sheet of MDF and standard lengths of 4"x2", plus pay a delivery charge, then cut it all to size with the inevitable wastage. This was supplied cut to size with all screws required, for less than I could source it for. All treated softwood legs and rails as well (not the MDF decks, but I will seal them myself)

I used to work for Ingersoll Rand in the 90's but I was on power tools, the compressors were made in another factory on the side of the road.

It was one of those factories where any tools you wanted, torque wrenches, all sorts of measuring equipment, socket sets etc etc you only had to ask.

Plus the wages were good which always helps, the factory was walking or running distance away and it had a good pension scheme

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I used to work for Ingersoll Rand in the 90's but I was on power tools, the compressors were made in another factory on the side of the road.

It was one of those factories where any tools you wanted, torque wrenches, all sorts of measuring equipment, socket sets etc etc you only had to ask.

Plus the wages were good which always helps, the factory was walking or running distance away and it had a good pension scheme

 

They were the old good days. Yes, if we needed a socket/ spanner/ any size tap, die or twist drill (standard or Morse taper), and back then, most sizes were either Whitworth or UNC (unified national coarse) or UNF (unified national fine), we just went to the stores and asked for  it. Metric threads didn't come in until much later.

I still have boxes of Whitworth/ UNC/UNF/ BA taps and dies. My most cherished taps and dies are the 3/8" UNF taps and dies which is (still) the standard thread for all UK fishing equipment. (Banksticks, landing net handles, rod rests, bait waiters, bite alarms, etc).

On the pension, although I was only there for 10 years, I have a company pension from them worth £400/ month. Tops up the state pension to just over 1K/ month. ( Plus my personal pension, which more than equals that). :thumbsup:

As I keep telling my boys...pay in now and reap later.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

They were the old good days. Yes, if we needed a socket/ spanner/ any size tap, die or twist drill (standard or Morse taper), and back then, most sizes were either Whitworth or UNC (unified national coarse) or UNF (unified national fine), we just went to the stores and asked for  it. Metric threads didn't come in until much later.

I still have boxes of Whitworth/ UNC/UNF/ BA taps and dies. My most cherished taps and dies are the 3/8" UNF taps and dies which is (still) the standard thread for all UK fishing equipment. (Banksticks, landing net handles, rod rests, bait waiters, bite alarms, etc).

On the pension, although I was only there for 10 years, I have a company pension from them worth £400/ month. Tops up the state pension to just over 1K/ month. ( Plus my personal pension, which more than equals that). :thumbsup:

As I keep telling my boys...pay in now and reap later.

I worked on an american m/c latterly that was a mix of imperial and metric threads for some reason??

I remember making a vice as an apprentice with a buttress thread and making acme threads and 2 start threads too.

Those final salary pensions are proving there worth at the moment with stock markets plummeting :wacko:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I do like Record gear, especially the vices but the stilsons are top tackle too.:thumbsup:

Always my choice with the through bolt jaws,

71A+tZLnlVL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

I always used Ridgid stilsons, because I sold them.

RID31015.JPG?w=1280&h=960&scale=both

I had a bench, steel framed and topped with 3/4" steel road plate. When I sold all my stuff, I sold the bench for scrap, it weighed just over a ton.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Always my choice with the through bolt jaws,

71A+tZLnlVL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

I always used Ridgid stilsons, because I sold them.

RID31015.JPG?w=1280&h=960&scale=both

I had a bench, steel framed and topped with 3/4" steel road plate. When I sold all my stuff, I sold the bench for scrap, it weighed just over a ton.

 

The last firm I worked for used these sorts of magnets.This is a smallish one.The heavier ones were a bit unwield.

The Laser welding robots that they have use Record magnets too

20200401_073441.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Always my choice with the through bolt jaws,

71A+tZLnlVL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

 

I had the exact same model as the above (6") with quick release lever and the anvil behind the jaws on my bench in the maintenance dept. at BroomWade. There were probably a dozen or more mainenance fitters, each with our own benches, vices and other tooling...the cost of supplying it all must have been staggering. Do you remember the clip over soft jaws that you put over the steel ones to hold more delicate items?

1CBED78F-69E6-42A1-916F-F34FB506C904-hug

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Do you remember the clip over soft jaws that you put over the steel ones to hold more delicate items?

Yes, I remember them, I also had a selection of home made clip on jaws for some special jobs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I had the exact same model as the above (6") with quick release lever and the anvil behind the jaws on my bench in the maintenance dept. at BroomWade. There were probably a dozen or more mainenance fitters, each with our own benches, vices and other tooling...the cost of supplying it all must have been staggering. Do you remember the clip over soft jaws that you put over the steel ones to hold more delicate items?

1CBED78F-69E6-42A1-916F-F34FB506C904-hug

Yeah we had them at Ingersoll Rand too.

I don't know how I've lived without a vice for so long :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

The new workbench arrived today

They look really good - similar to what I made for my last garage, but I picked up a damaged kitchen worktop from Ikea for the top.

Including the delivery its a great deal. They have some nice stuff on the website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I don't know how I've lived without a vice for so long :(

Oh, I've had plenty of vices over the years...and not the type you bolt to a bench, either...:whistling::naughty:

:laughing2dw::laughing2dw:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Oh, I've had plenty of vices over the years...and not the type you bolt to a bench, either...:whistling::naughty:

:laughing2dw::laughing2dw:

Yeah, the latest being a pretty expensive vice leading to empty pockets :yes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An AA  trickle battery charger for the car as its not getting used.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve D UK said:

Pay attention Bond! The correct terminology for that piece of kit is a 'Sholley'. 
 

I'm disappointed you didn’t go for one of these: https://www.sholley.com/product/the-mulberry-sholley/

Times are tough I had to settle for the old biddies Home Bargains special.

 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

1 hour ago, Steve D UK said:

Pay attention Bond! The correct terminology for that piece of kit is a 'Sholley'. 
 

I'm disappointed you didn’t go for one of these: https://www.sholley.com/product/the-mulberry-sholley/

Times are tough I had to settle for the old biddies Home Bargains special.

 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An iPad, got to wait until next Friday!  :(  But the "creme de la menthe" as Del would say is this... :king:  (It's going to be a long, long wait until October 29!)  :teethsmile:

9t37KGf.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another winder,despite the lockdown my old mate Arthur Ritus seems to have taken up permanent resisidence :bash:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...