• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

Today I Bought .....

A new, illuminated house sign the same as this one (but with my house number and road) as I'm tired of delivery people saying they can't find our house in the dark. God...Things are getting desperate when this is all I can think of to buy...:laughing2dw:

The hardest part was threading the cable for the 12v transformer through the outside wall, then down behind the plasterboard dry lining so that no wire showed inside.

7-MAPLE-AVE-250x187.jpg

• Like 1

A new hose reel, I’m sick of constantly tripping over the ******* hose after someone has washed her car and just left it lying! :taz:

D64-AF302-1-E12-49-A5-A993-86-EC8-EBA57-

• Like 2

Yet more seeds!.Comfrey,borage,kohl rabi,golden beetroot and corn salad (lambs lettuce).

On 11/05/2020 at 14:05, Bonzodog said:

Cordless reciprocating saw.

I just gave one away!! If I’d known you could have had it. :ooops:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teg62x said:

I hope the recipient reciprocated.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Teg62x said:

Wicks had an offer on,buy the saw ,get the battery and charger free,couldn’t resist.

• Like 1

First physical shopping trip since the lockdown started, to B&Q

x2 broom handles

x1 Hozelock spray gun

x1 Ronsesal wood stain

• Like 1

Olympus OM-D E-M10 III to replace the E-M10 I which I managed to lose on Monday

6 hours ago, JoT said:

I have to ask, how the hell did you 'lose it'??

12 hours ago, John_D said:

I have to ask, how the hell did you 'lose it'??

First trip out in the car since the lockdown, we found a nice bench with a nice sea view and I left the camera on the bench, didn't realise until some hours later :sorry:

It was due for an upgrade in any case and there wasn't much value in the camera body itself but I had my 17mm (34mm equivalent) f1.8 lens attached which was my favourite prime lens and with a replacement value of about £340 for new £225 pre-owned. It's the first (and hopefully last) time I have lost a camera :sadwalk: 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, JoT said:

My EM10 mk1's shutter button has come off, and when reattached has gone very loose so have been looking to upgrade.

I've looked at the EM10 mk2 and 3, and an em5 mk2 as a possible replacement. The EM5 mk3 looks great but I can't justify the price right now, though it seems the best of all worlds.

On 06/05/2020 at 16:33, BobJ said:

That's a Titan brand from Screwfix.It required a fair bit of fettling to set it up plus a replacement Starret blade to get it running well.

I use it mainly for cutting down 3x2  2x2  2x1  to exact sizes. Very good for shape cutting  too.

A table circular saw would probably be a better option but this takes up less space and creates way less dust to clean up.

I have a Titan table saw and you are right about it taking up space. Very useful for the times it gets used though.

Today a toilet, sink waste and a tiny radiator arrived. I could do with popping out to pick up some 9mm plasterboard and more slab insulation too.

4 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

My EM10 mk1's shutter button has come off, and when reattached has gone very loose so have been looking to upgrade.

I've looked at the EM10 mk2 and 3, and an em5 mk2 as a possible replacement. The EM5 mk3 looks great but I can't justify the price right now, though it seems the best of all worlds.

I bought the MkIII from here for the price of a good pre-owned model https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/cameras/compact-system-cameras/olympus-csc-cameras/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iii-camera-body-black.html

Good service was in the post the same day, should be here in an hour!

They are offering a big discount and will split a Camera + lens kit, also if you register the camera with Olympus before 30th May Olympus will send you a 45mm portrait lens

I thought about a pre-owned E-M5 but decided to stick with the E-M10

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JoT said:

I bought the MkIII from here for the price of a good pre-owned model https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/cameras/compact-system-cameras/olympus-csc-cameras/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iii-camera-body-black.html

Good service was in the post the same day, should be here in an hour!

They are offering a big discount and will split a Camera + lens kit, also if you register the camera with Olympus before 30th May Olympus will send you a 45mm portrait lens

I thought about a pre-owned E-M5 but decided to stick with the E-M10

They are good prices! Very tempted to get one with the 14-42EZ as its the one lens I regret selling. Its a cracking little thing (especially when had with the auto lens cap.

I thought it'd be redundant by the 12-40 pro, but sometimes you just want something to pocket and get on!

• Like 1

Well that didn't last long the OM-D E-M10 III is now in the possession of  Rolexgirl and I have instructions to sell her Nikon

So I have just bought a pre-owned OM-D E-M5 

19 minutes ago, JoT said:

Well that didn't last long the OM-D E-M10 III is now in the possession of  Rolexgirl and I have instructions to sell her Nikon

So I have just bought a pre-owned OM-D E-M5 

I did wonder how long an em5 would take glad it's being out to good use though! I'm very tempted but put off looking and will persevere with nursing it until before my next holiday!

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

I did wonder how long an em5 would take glad it's being out to good use though! I'm very tempted but put off looking and will persevere with nursing it until before my next holiday!

I bought an E-M5 I with low shutter count, it will do until the III starts hitting the used market at lower prices, not keen on the II the black finish seems to wear quickly. Also traded in a Nikon D5100, Nikkor 18-55 DX zoom, Nikkor 55-200 DX zoom, Nikkor 35mm DX, Olympus 25mm f1.8 and Olympus 14-42 ED and bought an Olympus 17mm f1.8 and Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro

Other than a new camera body in a couple of years that should see me out :laughing2dw:

A new mantis arrived today! This is an Orchid mantis...one of the most beautiful out there. More pics in the WRYDT thread.

Praying mantis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JoT said:

I bought an E-M5 I with low shutter count, it will do until the III starts hitting the used market at lower prices, not keen on the II the black finish seems to wear quickly. Also traded in a Nikon D5100, Nikkor 18-55 DX zoom, Nikkor 55-200 DX zoom, Nikkor 35mm DX, Olympus 25mm f1.8 and Olympus 14-42 ED and bought an Olympus 17mm f1.8 and Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro

Other than a new camera body in a couple of years that should see me out :laughing2dw:

The 12-40 pro is a great lens, super pleased for you. Mine is pretty much bolted to the front of the body. Having the FN button on there to use (digital teleconverter is how I have mine set) is great. You get a bit more reach with very useable results at your finger tip.

If you haven't had one before, when the focus ring moves it locks off AF, which means you can have a little twitchy moment thinking its broken and wont focus. Just check the ring back and forwards its been a common 'oh sh...' moment for many I think!

I'm a big fan of the kit 40-150mm too, I get very useable results for such a light and small lens.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I bought this a couple of days ago, It was posted Special delivery this morn so should be here in the morning :thumbsup:

4V9H24Q.jpg

HBrSeLT.jpg

It comes with a camera attachment!

nQv1Sy2.jpg

I have tripods so should be ok to start using it straight away!!

John :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Decided to invest in one of these, and the excitement on my face says it all... :laugh:

20200526_135740

I've de-badged the boot lid on the Porsche, and it's left a slight bit of "ghosting" on the paint finish from the old badge, so I decided to try a machine polisher and see if that will improve it.  I used some Meguires Ultimate Compound (it's a bit like fancy T-Cut :laugh:) applied by hand, and to be fair it's made a decent job of bringing back the original finish, but in bright sunlight the Boxster script is still faintly visible.  I wanted to polish the whole car anyway, and that would take ages by hand, so I'll give this a go and see what happens.

The boot lid with it's broken badge looked like this:

20200430_160901

Now it looks like this, which is a great improvement I think:

20200520_112044

The photo doesn't show the very slight shadow which is still visible when viewed at an angle in bright light.

I guess this might be a classic case of "lockdown fever" with yours truly having too much time on his hands :laugh:

• Like 3