• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
WRENCH

Holidays !

Well it's that time. What's everyone doing then ? Anything "bold"? My old travelling mate has just returned from travelling through Cambodia and Vietnam on a motorcycle, and loved Vietnam. Not this year, but I want to go and do the same, I'm going to do a bit of travelling around these shores, always wanted to do the train journey from Settle to Carlisle, so that's arranged. Plus a bit of travelling about in the surrounding area. So much to do, so little time to do it.

I've been very lucky to travel and live all over. Most of these dream exotic locations that are bigged up in the Sunday supplements are fine if you don't leave the hotel or go very far from it, but and especially the far east once you get off the well beaten tourist track or backpacker routes they are borderline third world sh!tholes. Alright if you have a few quid but of the same token a bit depressing. 

Anyway going for all four of the main Canaries this year, been to Fuerteventura, Lanzarote and booked to go to Tenerife shortly but if we can pick something up we fancy Grand Canaria. 

Whilst not everybody's Cup of tea the sun always shines year round and been going for years now at all times of the year and we've never had bad weather although to be fair in recent years it's started to get a bit expensive.

Last time in Lanzarote I had to pay €12 for 200 cigs and a Tenner for a litre of Smirnoff. 

:huh:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Edited by BondandBigM

Not really a holiday as I flew out from a glorious day on Monday, 

wE8RoOw.jpg

To a solid 16hrs of rain, and the forecast for the rest of the week isn't much better. 

yFQPuqZ.jpg

Not that it matters too much as I'm at school for the next 3 weeks. 

QZo6n2N.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WRENCH said:

always wanted to do the train journey from Settle to Carlisle, so that's arranged. Plus a bit of travelling about in the surrounding area. So much to do, so little time to do it.

Looks interesting - some pretty high viaducts by the looks of it. We are looking at the Carlisle area to relocate to, Cumbria/ Northumberland borders really.

Back on topic we had a week in Malaga, house rental, back in May with the intention of sitting in the garden when we got back - weather hasn't really played ball, so we've had to booze indoors :) 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully escaping the depressing heat in the UK for somewhere a lot jollier, cooler & rainier with no people.

Possibly Northern Canada.

Cheerio

QL 

12 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

Hopefully escaping the depressing heat in the UK for somewhere a lot jollier, cooler & rainier with no people.

Possibly Northern Canada.

Cheerio

QL 

If you could manage without `jollier' you could have gone to Scotland 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, richy176 said:

If you could manage without `jollier' you could have gone to Scotland 

Did that last year - a week in the wet & wonderful Fort William & Isle of Skye in a camper van followed by a week in the utterly stunning Isle of Harris, and exceptionally jolly it was too!.

Lacked the exciting peril of dealing with black bears and black flies that Canada offers though, and also too many people!

Cheerio

QL

On 12/06/2019 at 05:29, animalone said:

Not really a holiday as I flew out from a glorious day on Monday, 

To a solid 16hrs of rain, and the forecast for the rest of the week isn't much better. 

yFQPuqZ.jpg

Not that it matters too much as I'm at school for the next 3 weeks. 

Neuchatel ?

Do try & book the private demonstration of the Pierre Jaquet-Droz automata (The Writer) at the Musée d’Art d’Histoire.

Also, the short train trip to Le Locle, then bus up to Chateau de Monts...stunning timepieces. :yes:

Enjoy

:thumbsup:

Can also recommend the lake trips & the Chaumont Funicular.

Edited by Karrusel
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Neuchatel ?

Do try & book the private demonstration of the Pierre Jaquet-Droz automata (The Writer) at the Musée d’Art d’Histoire.

Also, the short train trip to Le Locle, then bus up to Chateau de Monts...stunning timepieces. :yes:

Enjoy

:thumbsup:

Can also recommend the lake trips & the Chaumont Funicular.

Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup: I'm out here for 3 weeks so that will help fill my weekends. 

I passed on Chateau de Monts last time I was over in favour of the watch museum in La chaux de fonds, but I will probably make it over this time. 

wtplWZJ.jpg

• Like 1

@rolexgirl is working July through September so no summer holiday - probably take an autumn break somewhere

:sadwalk:

On 12/06/2019 at 00:59, BondandBigM said:

I've been very lucky to travel and live all over. Most of these dream exotic locations that are bigged up in the Sunday supplements are fine if you don't leave the hotel or go very far from it, but and especially the far east once you get off the well beaten tourist track or backpacker routes they are borderline third world sh!tholes. Alright if you have a few quid but of the same token a bit depressing. 

This is true, I have also been lucky to travel and live all over the world, as Bond says you go off the beaten tourist routes it is a different world. Last count I have been to 56 different countries with my job and to places a tourist, even the most adventurous, would never reach. The worst country I visited was Liberia, my views not helped after suffering from dysentry, in a country of 45,000 square miles it only has 400 miles of paved roads the rest are tracks, here is the main road to the east of the country (man on left for scale).

DSC01281s.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Thailand, not getting as much for our pound now due to brexit uncertainty.

Not to mention the artificially high level of the baht, making all the rich Thais even richer while they invest abroad - companies and individuals. America are mooting sanctions, we can but hope. 

Where are you heading over here?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Not to mention the artificially high level of the baht, making all the rich Thais even richer while they invest abroad - companies and individuals. America are mooting sanctions, we can but hope. 

Where are you heading over here?

Ahem.... Pattaya. :whistle:

Edited by sabailand

15 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Ahem.... Pattaya. :whistle:

I forgot, you have some roots there!

I'll be there in a few months. The other half's niece is preggers, she and her husband (Thai) studied at Southampton uni, there will be some event lined up for the new arrival

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Caller. said:

I forgot, you have some roots there!

Not quite but i do know some ex-pats who live there, although it sometimes gets a bad press its a resort thats got everything, im done with Spain Greece etc, i started doing long haul years ago and after visiting various places decided this was the best place for holidays.

• Like 1