• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
spinynorman

Quartz watch tester line release

While browsing eBay last night I came across a quartz watch tester, with a "line release function". The seller says this spins the hands fast and can be enough to get a dead watch working again.

It sounds too good to be true to me. Has anyone used one?

• Sad 1

I have a watch demagnetizer (the cheap kind) that has the exact same "function". It's not even a function but physics related stuff, I guess.

It'll spin the hands fast but doesn't necessarily start the movement if the electrical side is broken.

As Simon said, better to strip and service. Much better.

• Thanks 1

I reckon they are useful if you have something like a Chinese cheapie which is not worth the cost of a service. If a watch is not working check the line release and see if the hands spin up. If so try a new battery. If it does not work after a new battery and the hands are free, change the module 'cos the Chinese ones are only a couple of quid.

Sometimes if they have not been powered up for years the gear train can stick. Line release can free them.

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2019 at 01:46, eezy said:

Sometimes if they have not been powered up for years the gear train can stick. Line release can free them.

I bought one and tried it on a couple of dead Seiko 7t32s. It revived one, which is still working. The other did show signs of life, but the minute hand still sticks, even after a good spin. Servicing isn't an option for these.

• Like 1