• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
sabailand

Which country would you most like to visit.

For those of you who like to go abroad for their hoildays, and for those like the idea of travelling abroad anyway, which is the country you would most like to visit. For me its Japan, a mixture of the traditional and the ultra modern, everytime i see Tokyo for example on the telly it always looks buzzing, the few people i know who have been say its amazing and although it can be expensive dosnt neccessarily have to be if you do your homework, i`ll certainly go some day.

Right up the West coast of South America from Tierra Del Fuego to Panama. A friend did this in 2012,

rough+route.jpg

I'd leave out the USA bit, but still need a year. 

Down side is, the only person I'd make the trip with, isn't physically able anymore. Long haul motorcycle trips are great fun, but can be physically gruelling.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

The arctic.

I have been lucky enough to see 25% of the countries in the world, but to experience -30 degrees would be interesting.

I prefer big places with few human signs, like New Zealand,  most of Africa,  Norway or Iceland.  Tokyo would be my nightmare!

• Sad 1

England as it was in 1966, just after the world cup. 

Might as well not bother now. 

25 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

The arctic.

I have been lucky enough to see 25% of the countries in the world, but to experience -30 degrees would be interesting.

I prefer big places with few human signs, like New Zealand,  most of Africa,  Norway or Iceland.  Tokyo would be my nightmare!

I've always wondered what it would be like to sleep in an igloo bloody freezing i expect. Just open the freezer door and jump in. 

but yes tokyo any where overcrowded not for me. 

I would like to go to Japan, South Korea, Antarctic and maybe China

I have been just about everywhere else with work over the last 4 decades

2 hours ago, JoT said:

I would like to go to Japan, South Korea, 

My great nephew has been to Japan, China, India, amonst others, and saw in the new year (2019) in North Korea of all places.

I've been all over the old Soviet block countries pre Perestroika, which was most enjoyable. Robert Burns was/is held in high regard there, and a fiddle and bagpipes are good "passports" .

• Like 1

Interesting that Japan features highly on here. I went a few years back, just for a week in Tokyo and it was surreal. I loved it, apart from at that time, everyone smoked and so many areas stank of smoke, including restaurants. I used to travel alone and it was the only place I visited where I took an organised trip, as nothing was as simple as other places, mainly as there were no concessions made to the English language, which was fair enough. I always find the best way to see foreign cities is on foot, as much as you can and walking around the backstreets is where you see and meet the locals doing their things. But the big highlight was a trip to Fuji - simply awe inspiring. Went halfway up as well, basically to the snowline. Returned to Tokyo on the bullet train as well, which was awesome.  

Always intended to return and see more of the place, but never have. But not too late and easier to get to from here. 

I'm keen to explore 'off the beaten' track Laos. The capital is easy, it's about 3 hours from where Pam lives, but beyond that is where I want to go. Someone I know recently took his family on a trip there and it looked stunning. He's an old Thailand hand, even though only in his 40's and what you will find is a Country way behind others in the region, but the Chinese are there, so it could change very quickly. 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Caller. said:

Interesting that Japan features highly on here.

I went to Japan and China last year, loved Japan, would love to go back.

I have always wanted to go to India

• Like 2

As previously said I’ve been about a bit and it’s sort of along the lines of don’t meet your hero’s you might be disappointed as I have been a few times. Hollywood is a dump and I never saw a kangaroo,a Croc or a Great White on Bondi Beach.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

But that being said one place I haven’t been to I’d like to go to India and do the railway thing that I saw on the telly.

• Like 1

I was trailed all over the world before I was 14 and decided i only like Great Britian. By the time i was 14 i was so peed off i refused to go to Morocco (again) and then Greece and parts of italy. In fact I was so fed up I stayed with my Uncle Ernie and he was a right b@stard. I got sun burnt, bitten and poisoned and so Ernies was a safer bet. Romania did me in when i was 8, but Morocco was awful in 1978. So i stopped with Ernie in Nelson Lancs....I think i'd choose Morocco now. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Haha 1

Not so much a country as a romantic ideal. It’s a little harbour town somewhere on the Mediterranean (probably the south of France).  It probably doesn’t exist anymore except in Belle Époque movies.  I can walk down to the little harbour from the house I’m renting every morning, sit nursing a coffee, or perhaps a beer or pastis at a café with sweet little blue painted chairs and tables, and read Baudelaire or Hugo while people-watching in the sunshine. There are no tour buses, there’s no crappy “music” blaring out, though maybe a little Chopin or Debussy on a distant piano. English isn’t spoken so Mr and Mrs Chicken-Nugget haven’t heard of it. And I’m wearing my (hypothetical) one-watch collection (blue VC Overseas) with no fear of being mugged.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AVO said:

Not so much a country as a romantic ideal. It’s a little harbour town somewhere on the Mediterranean (probably the south of France).  It probably doesn’t exist anymore except in Belle Époque movies.  I can walk down to the little harbour from the house I’m renting every morning, sit nursing a coffee, or perhaps a beer or pastis at a café with sweet little blue painted chairs and tables, and read Baudelaire or Hugo while people-watching in the sunshine. There are no tour buses, there’s no crappy “music” blaring out, though maybe a little Chopin or Debussy on a distant piano. English isn’t spoken so Mr and Mrs Chicken-Nugget haven’t heard of it. And I’m wearing my (hypothetical) one-watch collection (blue VC Overseas) with no fear of being mugged.

oh eye, back to romantic deals again eh? Which woman is it this time then? Mavis in Manchester?

Eh. 

Chopin and debussy?

1 hour ago, rolexgirl said:

I have always wanted to go to India

Nothing but respect for these ladies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Nothing but respect for these ladies.

she looks like she is trying to suck something thats bitten her out of her arm, in my experience thats what its like once you leave England. 

7 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

oh eye, back to romantic deals again eh? Which woman is it this time then? Mavis in Manchester?

Eh. 

Suzanne in Sète. Thérèse in Toulon. Natalie in Nice...:yes:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

she looks like she is trying to suck something thats bitten her out of her arm, in my experience thats what its like once you leave England. 

Bad in Wales is it ?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Bad in Wales is it ?

it sure is, one got me on the bollock. Itched like mad. They come down off the bryn (hill)

3 minutes ago, AVO said:

Suzanne in Sète. Thérèse in Toulon. Natalie in Nice...:yes:

lovely. 

Just now, Nigelp said:

is sure is, one got be on the bollock. Itched like mad. 

lovely. 

Edited by Nigelp

10 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

is sure is, one got be on the bollock. Itched like mad. 

Adders up here. Once fell asleep on a large rock at the side of the river Naver, woke up and Larry Adler was lying beside me in the sun, all coiled up he was. This is on the road to the Lecht.

beware_of_adders_by_thejesspaige_d9il619

You can usually hear the mouth organs first.

Vicious in the summertime.

Edited by WRENCH

21 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

As previously said I’ve been about a bit and it’s sort of along the lines of don’t meet your hero’s you might be disappointed as I have been a few times. Hollywood is a dump and I never saw a kangaroo,a Croc or a Great White on Bondi Beach.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

But that being said one place I haven’t been to I’d like to go to India and do the railway thing that I saw on the telly.

Talking of railways the Trans siberian express always sounded like a bit of an adventure, about 7 days Moscow to Vladivostok, supposedly the longest single train journey in the world.

17 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Talking of railways the Trans siberian express always sounded like a bit of an adventure, about 7 days Moscow to Vladivostok, supposedly the longest single train journey in the world.

I used to want to do such a trip and probably still would. A couple of teachers who lived near Bangkok returned to the UK on one trip via rail, stopping off at many places and documented the whole thing, it seemed great, but mainly because they travelled through many different types of terrain and Countries. I did a couple of long train journeys in Oz and was bored out of my brains for much of them, simply because there was no  such variety, luckily, both trains had bars and for one trip it was the only way to escape the floods I had been caught up in, in Alice Springs, believe it or not. 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Here you go @sabailand,

data=0WS4bq2wCa_160u63gwIak-12ylpojp_MtX

5 days 11 hours.

For the adventurous amongst us only, is this the longest journey wrench, i dont know for sure, i only stated what i did on stuff i`ve read in the past.

4 minutes ago, sabailand said:

For the adventurous amongst us only, is this the longest journey wrench, i dont know for sure, i only stated what i did on stuff i`ve read in the past.

Trans-Siberian: Moscow to Vladivostok (Russia)

The longest rail journey in the world starts in Moscow and ends in Vladivostok. The train crosses several time zones and in addition to the endless birch trees of Siberia the scenery includes the Ural mountains and Lake Baikal, the largest freshwater lake in the world. A popular alternative is the Trans-Mongolian travelling from Moscow to Beijing via Ulan Bator (7826km/4862 miles). Another variation is the Trans-Manchurian: Moscow to Beijing via Harbin in China (8984km/5582 miles). 
Distance 5,753 miles 
Duration Six days 
Estimated cost Tickets on the classic public train, the Rossiya (Number 2), from Moscow to Vladivostok cost around £500. If you want to do the journey in the manner of a Tsar, an eight-night trip with Golden Eagle Luxury (goldeneagleluxurytrains.com) Trains will set you back the best part of £10,000. 

Start saving.

• Like 1

Australia looks like fun

Edited by Nigelp

A close friend of mine who has spent a lifetime traveling the world, will always tell you the two places he enjoyed traveling the most were Syria and Iran, because the people were always so friendly. The worst experience's he encountered were in Columbia and Bolivia.